Keychain Does Not Accept Password

Discussion in 'macOS' started by crees!, May 26, 2006.

1. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

I just reinstalled Tiger on an iBook G4. When using Safari Keychain keeps popping up asking for a password but when you type the master password in it says it's incorrect. I've repaired permissions which found nothing wrong. There is only one account on this machine.

Any ideas?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

It says your keychain password is incorrect?

Your keychain password should be the same as your account password. If it's not, try passwords you've used in the past for your account.

3. crees! thread starter macrumors 68000

crees!

What happens to the keychain password if you forget your administrator password, pop in the Tiger install disk and reset it? Does keychain still use your old, forgetten password?

4. queeniris macrumors newbie

I have the same problem. I started using mozilla firefox, which was easy until I got a new mail account. I'm thinking about going and getting a professional to try, but I don't want to lose my hard drive. Anyway here's the link for firefox, I hope it helps.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

5. mackiwilad macrumors member

:confused:
    I don't see the connection between using a mail account, firefox and having problems with your keychain??

Anyways my keychain went crazy like that as well. I spent hours trying to fix it.
    In the end I just had to wipe my personal one and start again. Its a good thing most forums etc have a 'password forgot' function.
    Not sure what the cause was, but I would suggest using a keychain manager in future so it minimises the problem should it happens again.
    1Password is what I use, and it is a lot more secure/useful than the basic keychain anyways - and it has an automatic backup function as well.

Hope this helps
    S.
    :)