Keychain "found" some of my passwords elsewhere?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by W5UXH, Jan 3, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Dec 25, 2012
    I am brand new to MAC and OS X, just picked up a MAC Mini and am at the bottom of the learning curve.

I noticed keychain "messages" when logging into some sites, so I searched to find what keychain is. I then found and opened keychain and there were at least two entries that were for sites / servers I had definitely not been to on this computer. I could show the passwords by using my account password to access the password entry.

One was a Whirlpool site where I had registered a new fridge some months ago (from a windows machine). The other was a private home server a friend has a user account for me on. I have not accessed that server in a long time, and then only from windows (never touched OS X before).

This gives me pause! How can keychain do this? Is this to be expected?

2. macrumors 6502

Dec 30, 2012
    Winwick, UK
    Did you import things from Windows to your new Mac? Keychain could have found some data and imported it. Other than that, I can't see how it got hold of it.
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 25, 2012
    No, no importing at all. I am not even at home with my Windows machine. We are on vacation and I brought a HDMI monitor and keyboard and mouse to use when I picked up the Mini. Very strange.