Keynote Comment: Windows apperance

Discussion in 'Community' started by MainFrame23, Jun 8, 2005.

1. MainFrame23 macrumors newbie

MainFrame23

I'm relatively new to Macs. I've been a Windows user my entire life (except for being an owner of an Apple II for $5,000 when I was nay but a three year old) and I recently made the switch. I never liked Microsoft. Business and computer wise, they seemed heavy handed and brutish in their tactics and methods.

I recently got a chance to see the Keynote at WWDC for 2005 and when the Microsoft woman took the stage.. I had a small turn in my stomach. I don't understand why, but her speech and method sounded.. fake. 'We're fans of Mac!' 'We support Mac only features!' well, yes. But Windows has 'windows-only features'..

I'm not going to transcript it, I just felt it worth saying this out loud: Her lack of any presentation, method of speech and tone/word choice seemed nothing but condicending and smarmy. A fake smile, some badly stuttered appeasal like Windows and Mac arn't full blown competitors. Were they trying to appear as benevolent giants?

I don't understand it fully, but I do know this. Steve Jobs said 'give her a warm welcome' for a reason. Because booing the dummy speaker of Microsoft would be a big no-no. But I know someone out there was thinking the same thing as me...

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i've seen that woman at several events for apple, and she's awful. how in the world do they allow her to represent the MS mac bu at the shows? i don't care that she spouts pleasantries about about macs which are just pr crap... it's the way she sounds like she's reading it, and with that horrid voice... ahhhh

3. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Ugghg...I know...she is absolutely painful to listen to. I was watching the keynote and I had to just fast forward through her part.

Gotta give it to her though...she's got some cojones for getting up there and talking in front of thousands of Mac users despite working for the spawn of Satan :D

4. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

Have you ever seen Bill Gates do a presintation? I saw a video once and he's not much better. Then theres Steve Balmer with his "give it up for me" junk. Thats why Microsoft will end up losing. Eventually.

5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i would hope that ms wouldn't "lose" purely based on who they have making their presentations...

but the fact that these fools have very high positions there is a concern. though i'd say with ballmer and gates they are bad presenters. gates is smart, ballmer i don't know. but i can't see this woman offering anything but some annoyance in the mac bu.

i mean, even if she is smart and a great leader or whatever.... why not just hire someone who actually can speak to a crowd? and don't get me wrong, i hate talking in front of groups, but that's why i wouldn't expect to do it as part of my job!

6. benbondu macrumors regular

Hands down, Ballmer is the best presenter at MS. Everyone remembers his keynotes years down the road. Maybe not the relevant content.....

7. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Do you think they keep a paramedic on hand just in case he has a heart attack while prancing around on the stage?

8. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

They considered it, but discarded the idea as an unnecessary expense. :rolleyes:

9. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

10. the_mole1314 macrumors 6502a

I gues we are just spoiled by Steve & Phill during the Keynotes....

11. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

I agree. Roz Ho of MS is a truly awful speaker. I'm always amazed there's nobody at Microsoft that just breaks it to her. She's making a fool of herself. Even the guy from Mathematica (I forget the company's name), who was just about wetting himself because he was so nervous, was a more convincing speaker than the MS woman.

Steve Jobs on the other hand is an extremely talented speaker. 60 minutes of listening to him is over in no time.

12. neildmitchell macrumors 6502a

neildmitchell

YES! I had the same reaction to her appearance and presentation!
    She made me want to take another shower, to rid myself of her slime she spue'd on stage

13. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

I agree she was really really bad.

At first I assumed that MS just threw some intern on stage because they didn't want to grace the Mac community with a important MS executive.

I was shocked when I learned she had experience at this sort of thing!

14. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

I was wondering how she got head of a BU?

On the other hand - maybe she was just a little bit scared. I mean everyone knows that Mac users in particular don't really like Microsoft. If i would work for M$ and had to speak in front of a Apple audience I would feel strange as well.

Cheers
    LaForge

15. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Really? Actually, I think that's completly wrong. We don't like Windows. I heard a while ago a startling fact. On average, Microsoft makes more money /mac then they do /PC selling software. Trust me, MSFT LOVES the mac. It makes them tons of cash.

BEN

16. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

She was the only person I fast forwarded over, which I usually don't like to do.

The Wolfram Research guy (Mathematica) was rather amusing because, like you said, he was about to piss himself on stage. Even funnier to me, though, was the guy he brought along. Every time they would show the side stage camera, you'd see the guy shifting his weight from one foot to another with this expression of "I don't know what I'm doing here, but I don't like it." on his face.

17. MainFrame23 thread starter macrumors newbie

MainFrame23

Agreed

Agreed. Even as a new Mac user, Jobs made me psyched even when looking back at old presentations. I watched old WWDC and Macexpo's even though ive GOT TIGER

I doubt Hitler had much more charisma than Jobs. No, i'm not calling Jobs a Nazi. I'm saying, Jobs is naturally charismatic and you just like his geeky characteristic and relaxed way of speaking.

I know I do

18. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

You'd think MS would get someone else just based on her last name. I mean, we all know microsoft is a Ho, but does it have to be official?

"And now from microsoft, give a warm wecolme for Ms. Ho"

19. thecow macrumors 6502

Was is just me, or could no one speak at WWDC except the guy from Intel and of course Steve. All of the other people just seamed nervous and hard to understand. It was really pathetic watching the guy from Adobe trying to make a joke with Steve Jobs' last name.

20. kewpid macrumors regular

21. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Some people have it and some don't and those who don't can't buy it. And those that think they have it (read: think they're slick) end up looking like fools.

With all the $$$ M has, one would think they could find somebody, anybody to represent the company and not look like they just emerged from an Equations Club meeting. And I think that is part of the problem in Redmond. There simply is no image.

Note: Ballmer is a poor man's Rick Majerus.

22. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Until MS has even a tiny amount of real competition for Office, they couldn't care less who talks to the crowd. They know people will buy Office anyway. Until iWork gains at least a spreadsheet, or someone else gains 0.1% market share, Office rules with an iron fist.

So, basically, they put her up there because she's the head of the BU and it won't affect sales in any way.

23. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Roz Ho came up in a discussion here a couple of WWDCs ago and it was agreed upon that the woman has a speech impediment of some sort. I don't know why we can't just let her be.

24. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

She doesn't have any serious speech impediment - I just listened to part of her presentation again (oh, the humanity). She just sucks as a public speaker. No enthusiasm. Poor pacing. Poor gestures. Poor fashion choices.

I'm sure she's very competent in many areas. She just shouldn't be addressing WWDC, or MacWorld, or a Girl Scout troop. She's a terrible public speaker.

25. fawlty macrumors regular

I didn't read the Mathematica guy as nervous; he had good lines, great timing, and he played the audience beautifully.

Likewise the Intel guy - I loved his pained expression when he told about Apple smoking his bunny man.