Keynote Discount ($30) and Free Themes for .Mac

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Jan 21, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

Apple's .Mac service is offering a new deal for .Mac subscribers.

The new Keynote templates were created by designers at Keynote Pro, Keynote User and Keynote Theme Park and represent a $100 value, according to Apple.

2. macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

Nice!...Wonder if my bro could hook-up those themes...

3. macrumors member

Templates are nice for existing Keynote users......

....now give us iLife '04.

G

4. macrumors 603

Stella

free software, blah blah blah

I'm a .Mac subscriber. Instead of offering free software, Apple should, instead, offer further .Mac functionality.

Its been 1 1/2 years of .Mac and the service has not changed at all. Apple should concentrate on adding new services to .Mac

IMO, free software is good, but now is wearing thin.

5. macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

Just something to lure more users. I'm sure Apple is worried about Spymac 3.0 cutting into it's .Mac sales.

6. macrumors regular

And in Australia...

It looks like once again we are left out on the US$30 discount.

No joke, Apple suck in Australia, and .Mac is a waste of money if you live here.

7. macrumors 6502a

robotrenegade

8. macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Yeah, especially the prices of iDisk storage. I am waiting for them to drop.....

9. macrumors regular

Agreed .Mac should not be a bonus savings program.

.Mac should attempt to give me all the benefits of a server without the pain of running & maintaining a server myself. There's more server related services they could offer.

10. macrumors 6502

Pismo

I like .Mac mostly for the e-mail, iSync, and Backup. I don't use it to host a website and I am only using a few megs to store some important files.

The discounted software is good but I already have Keynote. If Apple just gave people a $30 discount towards other apps, that would be better because people can put it towards software that they actually need. I would love to pay $69 for the Final Cut Express 2 upgrade.

11. macrumors member

Since the offer for $30 off Keynote runs through March 17th, I guess we won't get Keynote 2.0 until at least April.

12. macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

This is nice stuff. I use Keynote a lot, and I'm grateful for the new themes.

But I would like to see 2.0 this Spring at the latest.

13. macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

I want the iPhoto book discount to come back. :)

edit: wrong word :)

14. macrumors 68000

.Mac is just looking better and better.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's still $69.00 for educational users to sign up.....

15. macrumors 6502

You're wrong! :p

It's 99.95 for the full deal, and there is some halved version of it for around 59 for Education Institutions.

16. macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

Now hold on just a second. The .mac promo page says "All themes come in 1024x768-pixel and 800x600-pixel sizes."

I can't find 800x600 for several of the themes (e.g., Titanium, Oceans).

Am I alone in this?

17. macrumors 68000

Freg3000

I am not sure, but was the FCE offer still valid during MWSF when it was updated to 2.0?

18. macrumors regular

Aussies will get it

curmi,

Don't worry, it's coming. I think they had problems with the Aussie store. Check tomorrow and see if you're listed in the pop-up for the Keynote deal.

Enjoy the themes all, and check my site for a discounted upgrade to the FULL version of Frames.

http://www.keynoteuser.com

FriarTuck,

Apple messed up in the specs on the KeynoteThemePark themes. All his stuff is 1024x768, but it should scale down to a smaller screen when you run the presentation. Don't blame ThemePark, Apple just didn't post his specs correctly.

19. macrumors 6502

This sounds really good. I guess it is time for me to stop using Power Point!

20. macrumors 6502

Keynote definitely rocks. make sure you go to the Apple Seminar site and see their free presentation video tutorial. It is the best I have see thus far.

21. macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

Re: And in Australia...

hmm have to agree there curmi i aint paing for a new Powerbook over here can by a second hand car for that much what ever version you want. i still want new features in .mac like php and other neat toys

22. macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

Re: And in Australia...

Interestingly, .Mac was reduced from AU$199 to AU$159 sometime in the last week or two. I wonder if this was Apple Australia responding to complaints from the community (Australian MacWorld in particular) over the pricing disparities between here and the US after the large appreciation of the $AUD.

23. macrumors newbie

Re: Re: And in Australia...

I will almost guarantee that you will never see such features as php in .Mac.

1) Most people do not need such features. Apple is trying to cater to the lowest common denominator.

2) It'd require alot more support. And most likely anyone that could support features like that aren't going to be answering tech support calls.

3) It'd require a big upgrade to their servers and with most people not using this feature. It wouldn't be cost effective unless they offered an upgrade price for these features and people would bitch about that price.

.Mac is supposed to be a simple place to store some files, check your email and a few other features. Nothing extravagant. People wanting/expecting it to be like a full service web host are expecting too much.

24. macrumors member

Aaaah, great! Another discount I can't use, just cause I live in Portugal... :rolleyes:

25. Guest

caveman_uk

I was actually going to buy some of these themes a week or two ago. I'm glad I didn't:D