Keynote & PowerPoint

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Koodauw, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I will soon be working mroe frequently with Microsoft's Powerpoint software, and I began to wonder about the possibilities of using Keynote instead.

I have never really used either software, other than keynote a few times at the apple store, and it seems simple and easy enough to use. My question is whether or not Keynote can open powerpoint presentations, and vise versa.

Also is there any said benefet to either one? I know quartx extreme lets you do some cool stuff visually, and I would assume Keynote takes advantage of this, does Powerpoint as well, and on the same level?

Any input is much appreciated.

2. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I like Keynote. The graphics are excellent, and, and, well, that's pretty much it. As much as I hate most MS products, Powerpoint is powerful, easy to use, and cross-platform. Sure, Keynote can export a PP, but you lose all the cool things that make it look and act good, so what's the point?

3. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

I also use presentations alot - and when I switched - loved the look (and novelty) of Keynote!

As the post above says...

I ended up just buying Office 2004 - as everywhere else I am - is Microsoft - and all will be run on Powerpoint.

Creating powerpoint presentations on my PB is great though - and I have viewed and editted them on PCs / Windoz laptops and the like - all with no problems. First time I did get a warning error as I opened my presentation in Windoze Powerpoint - warning some thing may not work - but it did!

Oh yeah and everyone loved new backgrounds (Powerpoint:mac ones are different to Powerpoint for Windoze.

4. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

powerpoint doesn't come even close to the keynote's visual quality, so if the end product (the presentation on screen) counts, then get keynote.

5. davegoody macrumors 6502

davegoody

Keynote LOOKS better

I do a LOT of professional presentations, Keynote is FAR better with the actual visuals, but is dire compared with PP for functionality. Apple need to get their act together and get Keynote 2 out as doing anything really complicated is difficult. One thing I do tend to do with Keynote is to produce QT content in FCP etc and then import it seamlessly into the Keynote presentation. A lot more work to do here, but for eye candy there is nothing to beat it.

Good luck :p

6. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Choose keynote if you do not need the compatibility with PowerPoint. If you need it, better go with PowerPoint.

Cheers

7. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

I want to like Keynote- really I do- but it is so darn slow... Until Apple makes some needed improvements I'm using PPT...

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I certainly don't see any 'slowness' in Keynote on my 1.25 GHz iMac G4....what Mac are you using, and what version of Mac OS X are you running?

9. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

iMac G4 - 800 MHZ 512 MB RAM...Panther / with all of the current updates.. Maybe this computer is a bit out of date- but it runs everything else fine, including FCE & phototshop elements- ... I remember people complaining about Keynote being sluggish when it 1st came out/ but haven't heard much lately... I kind of grew frustrated & just went back to what I was more comfortable with (PPT)... I also don't believe I've even tried it with Panther- I don't think I had Panther yet- so that could be a reason ...

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'll bet the issue is that you didn't realize that Apple posted a couple of Keynote updates (V1.10 and V1.11) which fix the speed issues in Keynote V1.00.

11. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

12. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

But you say that without qualification? Why Keynote? The overwhelming evidence to the contrary should give you pause to reflect. :)

13. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

Better interface, ummm it works, the transitions look better and its not MS.

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i believe you can export keynote into quicktime files to use as a presentation if you have to, i prefer keynote, its not what everyone has seen, and when i have used it in class people are surprised and taken aback at the quality of the presentation, Powerpoint on the other hand, everyone has seen and knows all about, so no one really cares,

its up to you though, the compatibility issues may be that large of a factor that you need pp

i wholeheartedly reccommend Keynote if you can get away with it

15. Aaon macrumors 6502

Setting aside the "MS vs. not-MS" arguments, I think Powerpoint is a pretty nice piece of software. It is very powerful, and yet pretty simple to use. Anyone can create a presentation in minutes, which I'm sure is also true for Keynote. If you even have a vague notion of collaborating with non-Mac users, you probably want to go with Powerpoint. You won't be losing anything, in my opinion. The quality of your presentation is based on the amount of care you put into creating it, and used correctly Powerpoint can create some excellent stuff.

Aaron

16. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Keynote looks better but Powerpoint provides content templates and clipart that Keynote lacks. You can always export and import those templates into Keynote. Powerpoint is more snappier with larger presentations but I think the extra graphics slow down Keynote due to memory. If you have enough memory then keynote is fast enough.

If you are using 2 displays then I feel Powerpoint is better than Keynote for speaker notes and there is zero setup. I like having a timer with Powerpoint and a preview of the next slide. Keynote is due for an update. I would use Keynote for personal use because it's easy to build slideshows with multimedia and Powerpoint for business use because it is easier to add business clipart, symbols, and snazzy text.

17. James L macrumors 6502a

Hey,

As someone who does presentations often, and has used both extensively, I would say it depends on your needs.

Keynote, while visually stunning at times, DOES lack much of the functionality of powerpoint... this cannot be argued. Here is a comparison from a keynote site (note, this is with old Office, not Office 04, which I am sure has many other features in PP):

http://www.keynoteuser.com/tips/keynoteppt.html

So, it depends to me what I want. If I have a very simple presentation that does not require any whistles and bells, nor full PC compatability, I use Keynote for sure. If I require full PC compatibility, or any of the features Keynote still sadly lacks, then I use PP. I don't hate it just because it is a M$ product... personally I think that is a stupid mentality. Use the right tool for the job!

Cheers!

James