Keynote question (or, how DOES Steve do it...?)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by HawaiiMacAddict, Mar 23, 2007.

1. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha everyone,

I just completed a MS Acess database for inventory control at work. Now comes the fun stuff - I have to document it (ugh!) but also create a Keynote presentation to demonstate how it works. I LOVE Keynote!!! I was a former admirer of Power Point (as I had no other real reference), but Keynote just flat out blows Power Point out of the water!

That being said, I would like to ask how Steve Jobs does one thing while he delivers his keynote addresses. At a certain point, a simple slide with the word "Demo" appears on the screen, after which Steve's desktop is displayed so that he can then demonstrate the apps about which he was just speaking. How can I do that?

For example, after showing the screen shots of the Add User or Add Equipment forms, how can I then switch to a live screen shot to demonstrate it? It adds a really nice touch to his keynotes, but I will probably never be even half as polished a presenter as Steve is - he's one of the best I've seen.

If anyone knows how I can accomplish this, please let me know. I'm already getting lots of praise for my MacBook Pro at work, and if I can successfully present my Keynote while concurrently showing the database running in Parallels, then the boss' head will REALLY turn towards the Mac platform, or at least that's what I hope will happen.

Oh, and after I showed my wife my Keynote, she asked me if I wanted to buy it! Sweet! Although I don't know when Leopard is coming out, and thinking that iWork is tied to Leopard, I will want to wait until after Leopard's release to purchase iWork. I only have 29 days left on my trial run though - I'm not sure I'll make it to the release of iWork 07. Oh well, at least I'll be able to create one hell of a great keynote - and subsequently save it to a PDF!

Thanks in advance for your responses,

:apple:HawaiiMacAddict

2. BigPrince macrumors 68020

I'm guessing someone backstage was switching the inputs back and forth from computer to phone and vice versa. A smooth transition is still possible and while the input was on phone, that someone pushed the sideshow one slide so when it transitions back its on the next slide.

sorry.

3. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

If you don't mind having your demo 'pre-recorded', you could try something like SnapzPro X

Using this, you can record a QuickTime movie of the application being used, then embed that into a Keynote slide. Since the app you'll be demoing is Windows-based, you'd have to use Parallels Desktop to run Windows on your OS X desktop (and thus be able to be recorded via SnapzPro).

Good luck!

4. furious macrumors 65816

furious

could you not use Expose or Show desktop. On my MacBook the shortcuts are F9, or F11 respectively. You could use the remote to do it more seamlessly. You would just need to program the remote function to suit. Hope that helps.;)

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Exposé does not work while in Keynote's play mode. The best way I've found to bounce between a Keynote presentation and the desktop is escape, then cmd-h. I wish this was easier too, as I teach a Mac class and have to do this far too often. I'm sure Steve is switching between Macs during his keynotes. Probably several of them.

6. HawaiiMacAddict thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aloha everyone,

Thanks for all your replies. I figured that Steve probably used at at least two Macs for his keynotes, but wasn't sure. What I can do is present the keynote, then bring up the Parallels window for the live demonstration. It wouldn't be as nice as what steve does, but I only have one Mac to use for the keynote - if only I had another :D

I have 28 days left on my trial run for iWork. Personally, I think we may just see Leopard, as well as the new iWork and iLife suites before my trial period runs out. What does everyone else think? Do I have a realistic shot at being right (for once :D)?

7. ryme4reson macrumors 6502

Easier Way

While you are in Keynote - press Apple H, this will minimize keynote and show a green "play arrow" in the dock. At that point you can use the mac normally. When you are ready to go back to the presentation, just click the Keynote icon.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

There is absolutely no way we'll see Leopard in 28 days. It'll take them almost that long to manufacture the CDs and get them into the shops, but they haven't even finished making the OS yet!

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Wow, is a great tip. I will be using this one -- thanks! :cool:

10. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Very cool. Thanks for that one, didn't know about it at all.

11. HawaiiMacAddict thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm getting ready to try out the tip myself. It may just be that the BCTC Director, as well as my boss, will be so impressed that they have actually authorize the purchase of a MacBook Pro for me to use at work (instead of that piece of crap Dell D810, which doesn't even have ONE Firewire port on it!). Of course, I may also be "voluntold" to prepare more keynotes in the future :D