Discussion in 'Apple, Inc. Rumors' started by rekras, Oct 11, 2001.

1. rekras macrumors regular

Sep 3, 2001
    If this new powerbook comes out in a week, or two (whatever they're predicting), which it most likely will, is it just me,or is there a new trend in Apple not releasing all their products at expos. It used to be, even the smallest product promos, applications, etc would be saved until one of Steve's famous keynotes. And you can't say this new Tibook would have been released in Paris because Jobs already announced priar to the expo that Apple wouldnt be releasing any new hardware. I don't know if this is the way it will be in the future or not, but to me, it doesnt seem like a smart move to randomly release products instead of at expos where press and customers are present and anxious. I dunno, what do you guys think?
  2. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    i think waiting until keynotes was too long and the recent mid season announcements have proved pretty good for apple since they are really in high gear now, i hope the stock value goes up, too
  3. oldMac macrumors 6502a

Oct 25, 2001
    I think it's difficult to time all your HW announcements with Expos. Apple has gotten into trouble with that in the recent past by announcing things before they were ready to ship.

More and more, Apple has been relying on "cutting-edge" hardware in their new machines. If your new model has the latest graphics card, dvd burner and processor available when its released then the release becomes subject to all of those 3rd party vendors keeping their deadlines.

Quite frankly, I think it exposes you to schedule slip and it puts Jobs in the awkward position of not having "one more thing...".

I suspect that we'll see Expos start focusing more on software announcements than hardware. Even those can slip (such as OS 10.1), but the schedule's more in your control and people feel better about waiting for it if it doesn't cost them several thousand dollars.

[Edited by oldMac on 10-27-2001 at 08:56 PM]
  4. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    ati was ready for jobs but he was sore that they announced the card before he did (since when has steve jobs been the ceo of ati...and don't they make cards for pcs, too)

but motorola seems to have been the bottleneck in things and if ibm can put out some of their faster G3fx chips soon, that may speed motorola up (maybe)
  5. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000

but then again, i take that back, i mean that may not be the case since apple is just a portion of motorola's business (their real big meat and potatoes accounts are the integrated processor market for appliances)