keys getting shiny... can i replace the keyboard??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Dairyman, Jan 9, 2009.

1. macrumors member

got my alum macbook the day of release i have been using it show much that they keys are just starting to get shiny and i HATE it I am trying to keep it looking prisitine. I just bought an iskin keyboard cover for it and it really hinders my typing performance.

so what I was thnking was I could replace all the keys that show wear anyone know if this is easy tto do or cost effective I was looking on ebay and it seems like the going rate was $6 a keep which seemed pretty steep?

any other ideas????

2. macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Deal with it? As much as it may bother you, it's common wear. Every keyboard has this problem because of the material.

3. thread starter macrumors member

4. macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I have a solution... buy the entire keyboard replacement part. Let me find an auction on eBay real quick for you. You can take off the keys on both the MacBook and the keyboard replacement part. And then switch them. Take off one at a time, and don't mix up the keys... Take a high res picture of your MacBook's keyboard before you start taking them off.

Here's the auction. If you want a black one, just search for MacBook black keyboard.

5. macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I agree it looks bad... why not just making them all shiny?

6. macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Buff them down using the wipe that came with the computer. I do that maybe every couple weeks, no real shine on my keys yet *fingers crossed*

7. macrumors Core

alphaod

Just clean the keyboard once in while and it won't be shiny.

And replacing the keyboard may cost you a lot of money.

8. macrumors newbie

I've had my alu macbook for less than 2 weeks and I'm also having this problem.. on my space bar! I will most likely just buy a replacement space bar when I need it, but do they simply pop in and out?

9. macrumors 6502a

plastic wears down with constant friction

deal with it

10. macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Could the OP post a picture of his keyboard. I just want to see how bad this 'shiny' effect is. I mean, if the keys are actually degrading this soon, then he needs to take it to Apple.

11. thread starter macrumors member

I will take a pic as soon as I get my camera.

to me this is a pretty big issue i just spent close to $2000 on this computer. I upgraded from my MBP which had NO ISSUES whatsoever I have been using that computer for 2 years every single day and it still looks BRAND new no signs of use.

I have been trying to keep this computer as mint as possible because I really like it and when I look at the keyboard and it is already showing signs of wear I can only imagine how bad it will look in a year from now!

it is very similar to the problem that the black macbooks have

12. macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Wow... relax. It's normal wear. Check your MBP carefully again, and I can guarantee you will have shiny keys. It may not be as noticeable because it's a SILVER keyboard as opposed to a black one, but it will still be there.

13. macrumors P6

dukebound85

14. macrumors 68030

bozz2006

You're just a tool!

(sorry, couldn't resist. you're cool)

15. macrumors 68020

juanster

ahha what? i dunno why, but it seems I am alone on this one, I love the used shinny look in keyboards, makes me feel like I am using something i Did spend on... even if it's just surfing instead of doing real work lol... anyways good luck finding them keys fro a good price...

16. macrumors member

well yeah im sure u could get it replaced
    but i dont understand why you would want to do that
    cuz the new one you get will do the same thing with use..

so your spending money to fix somthing that will sooner or later will be the exact same
    if it was like a tire or somthing that renders its use when smoothed out over time..then i understand..
    but a keyboard?

17. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

And I bet you are wishing that you can use him like one. That is what you can't resist. :p

Yep, it can get much, much worse ... :eek:

18. macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Just buy the keyboard part, and take off the keys. Next, take off the MacBook keys and do a swap. Put them back in, viola! brand new keys.

19. macrumors 68000

20. macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Then do that again in a few weeks time when those keys get shiny, then repeat until you get rid of MacBook. :p

21. macrumors newbie

I wipe my keys on down once a week with %70 rubbing alcohol. They shinyness is just due to the oils in our skin. The alcohol will make them look good as new.

22. macrumors 6502

Buskape

After 2 months of intensive usage my keys do not show any sign of wear or "shinyness"..
    I think you should take it to the Apple store. Make an appointment with a genius.

23. macrumors 6502a

Jiten

Why not just use it to death until it is totally worn out in a year or two then replace it then?

24. macrumors 6502a

The AluBook has been out for what less than 3 months? The paint on the keyboard should not wear not this fast even if you are like rubbing it 24/7. My Logitech G15 keyboard got shiny after 6 months and Logitech considered it a defect.

25. macrumors G3

NT1440

Shiny from oil != paint wearing off.