Keys not working on keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PYR0M310N, Dec 21, 2006.

1. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

Some of the keys (on the num pad 4,7,8,9 the right shift and up arrow) have all suddenly stopped working. any ideas?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. PYR0M310N thread starter macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

its an apple keyboard that came with my iMac G5 (isight)

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Have you spilt anything on it recently? What software have you installed recently? :)

5. PYR0M310N thread starter macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

nothing has ever been spilt on the keyboard, and the other day i installed a belkin USB powered hub, but i didn't install anything, just plugged it in as the instuctions say.

its still in warrenty so should i send it back?

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you unplug the hub do they keys come back? :)

7. PYR0M310N thread starter macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

nope, and have tried it on an ibook, and they still don't work so its certainly a problem with the keyboard. i thinkk its most likely the something inside it has become lose as they all stop working at one time

8. Queso macrumors G4

If you open the Keyboard Viewer and push those keys, do they show on-screen as being pressed?

The reason I ask this is that I thought my numeric keyboard was broken until I found out I'd accidentally activated mouse keys.

9. PYR0M310N thread starter macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

yeah tried that already, and they don't show up at all

10. PYR0M310N thread starter macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

well i'm now using a dell keyboard one untill my apple one is replaced

11. Queso macrumors G4

In that case I think you're right that it's broken. Looks like you'll have to get Apple to swap it.

12. PYR0M310N thread starter macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

is there a way that i can change the keys like print screen scrooll lock and pause/break to the volume controls?

13. Steveo macrumors newbie

Same Problem, not a broken keyboard.

The same thing just happenned to me! I can't type numbers with my numpad. It driving me nuts. I thought it was a broken keyboard, but then I noticed that all my keyboard shortcuts with those keys still work (ctrl-1, command-3, etc...) The keys still Still light up in the Keyboard viewer too. Its like I hit the num lock button, except mac keyboards don't have one. Does anyone know what else it could be?

-Steveo

14. Steveo macrumors newbie

Fixed it!

In System Preferences>Universal access>Mouse, make sure that the box "Press the option key 5 times..." is not set. If its enabled, pressing option 5 times will disable the numpad.

Earier I guess pressed the option key 5 times in a row, and it turned the numpad into a cursor controller.

15. PYR0M310N thread starter macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

its only the 4,7,8,9 keys and shift and up arrow, not the entire num pad, but thanks anyway

16. Steveo macrumors newbie

Oh, well then..

I guess that does sound a lot more like "someone" might have spilled a drink on it. It happens to all of us. And whoever that "someone" might be, its always better if you, er they, not admit it either. Apple warranties and water damage don't mix.

-Steveo

17. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

All my keys stop working once and awhile but supposedly that is because of a Firefox glitch. It only stops working inside of Firefox

18. Steveo macrumors newbie

Optimum Optimus Opportunity.

At least now you have an excuse to get an Optimus Keyboard.

http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/

Even if it is the most amazing keyboard ever made, $1200 is too much money for one to justify spending it unnecessarily replacing a working peripheral. But if you need to buy a keyboard anyway, why not get the best? People buy Macs when they want the best design, not the best bargain. Sure, it might cost an extra grand, but who cares about saving a measly thousand bucks besides Dell Dudes and Gateway Girls. You're not a Dell Dude, are you?

-Steveo

:)

19. PYR0M310N thread starter macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

Well i would love it but maybe slightly pricey, as i could buy a new mac for that and still have a bit to spare!

Most certainly not, but its the only keyboard i have been able to get my hands on for the moment now, free of charge

20. janitorC7 macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

oh that just reminded me of that guy "Dude, your getting a dell".

Apple will switch out your keyboard at a store.

Check and make sure of Number lock.

check that there is power going to the keyboard, press caps lock and see if you see a light

21. Queso macrumors G4

Yep, that's exactly what I did when I thought I'd broken mine :)

22. PYR0M310N thread starter macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

as i said earlier its not that all the keys have stopped working, its just a couple! and there not all on the num pad, its the shift and ctrl as well