"keys out of order". eh?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Macette, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Macette macrumors 6502

okay.

my friend just installed photoshop 7 on his iMac. (G3). it's running 10.1.2.

the install material says that photoshop 7 should only be installed on 10.1.3 or later, but friend ignored this and installed anyway.

after the install and restart, the mouse won't work. he's fixed permissions etc, and all the messages he gets say "keys out of order". when he starts from the install disk, it's all fine.

so what needs to be repaired? where's it going wrong? what does "keys out of order" mean? and what should he do now?

2. insidedanshead macrumors regular

read and follow instruction manuals prior to installing anything...?

ha..

if nothing works.. bootin up from the cd never hurt anybody..

3. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

I would think the obvious thing to do is run software update...

4. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

I understand not upgrading to Jaguar if you don't have enough space or whatever, but come on, the minor updates are free and even those have quite a lot of bug fixes.. why won't you update?? Anyways, tell your friend to listen to instructions, they're there so they don't F*CK up your system.

irmongoose

5. Macette thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi again,

the photoshop 7 material doesn't actually say that 10.1.3 MUST be installed, it just says it's more stable that way. so my friend installed photoshop first (which worked fine) and it was when he was installing 10.1.3 that everything screwed up.

anyway, he found out (from a review of Norton SystemWorks on Amazon) that although Apple officially say that there's no fix for the problem other than to reformat the whole drive, Norton SystemWorks does fix it. So he's trying that now.

So. It's not him being a total dick (i mean, it's not actually possible to install software, usually, unless the os is at least mostly compatible!). It's a huge problem though - and so I just thought I'd make this post so that people know they can try SystemWorks if it happens to them.