Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MNSUGrad07

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2006
Mankato, MN
Um, wow that article made me ill just reading it. It really is a sad state of affairs we are in. How screwed up are we that healthy food is more expensive then unhealthy stuff. :mad: I was at the supermarket this weekend and whole grain bread was nearly a $1.00 more than the refined white bread. This is repeated with so many other similar items, hmmm makes you think! :confused:

lu0s3r322

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2005
i think their food is ok, it has its downsides

like the trans-fat in their chicken, yeah now i dont eat KFC chicken anymore, but i go there often to get some potatoes wedges, those are amazing

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
The article is pretentious, self-aggrandizing crap... :p But when I first started seeing commercials for those bowls, the commercial where the cashier reads the man's mind in that he wants those items in a layer in a bowl...god that grossed me out.

Amen to being vegetarian! ;) :D

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Sun Baked said:
At least until the Food Nazis come around and tell you that they taste good, because they are loaded with fats and carbohydrates.
And calories. Not to mention for a 150 lb person, that bowl IS the daily recommend dose of fat carbs and calories one should consume to maintain their current weight. Good luck with obesity.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
MNSUGrad07 said:
Um, wow that article made me ill just reading it. It really is a sad state of affairs we are in. How screwed up are we that healthy food is more expensive then unhealthy stuff. :mad: I was at the supermarket this weekend and whole grain bread was nearly a $1.00 more than the refined white bread. This is repeated with so many other similar items, hmmm makes you think! :confused:
I really think this is the reason that we are struggling with obesity. So many people demand that we have universal health care in the US, but I think affordable healthy food would eliminate many of the problems that we see...it really does make me sick to see what some parents with kids buy when they go to the grocery store...

d wade

macrumors 65816
Jun 27, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
for dinner tonight, my step-mom made chicken cutlets, mashed potatoes, and corn.

so what did i do?

i mixed everything together, shoveled it in, and thought about my macrumors boys :)

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
d wade said:
for dinner tonight, my step-mom made chicken cutlets, mashed potatoes, and corn.

so what did i do?

i mixed everything together, shoveled it in, and thought about my macrumors boys :)
Did you get weird stares from others at the table? :D

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
personally, i love to mix up my various foods, especially in certain combinations. for example, my mom made chicken pot pie yesterday. i love to mix up mashed potatoes, the pie filling, and then the crust. mmmm good.

even though i don't eat meat, the kfc bowls look really freaking good. i can see how they might not be (i haven't had kfc food in a long time, especially the chicken itself). but the idea of mixing it all together is certainly not what makes it sound bad (better to talk about the hormone pumped, poop eating chickens you are consuming if you want to get at bad food. hah)

i want to see more firsthand reviews!

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
TEG said:
Well with the Yum! Corporation's Taco Bell making the awesome Border Bowls, they copied the consept for their KFC Franchise. Just wait until they come up with something like this for Pizza Hut, Long John Silvers, and A&W (USA Only).

TEG

Why USA Only? I live in China so the offerings are quite a bit different. Do they offer these "bowls" at other international locations? Like in Canada and the UK? I know that Canada has Pizza Hut and A&W.

By the way KFC Is wildly popular here in China, but they really don't stray too far from the "bits of chicken" and "bits of chicken with lettuce and mayonnaise in a bun" formula. I've eaten at KFC in Canada before and the Chinese KFC actually feels higher quality, yet cheaper. Odd.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
cleanup said:
Why USA Only? I live in China so the offerings are quite a bit different. Do they offer these "bowls" at other international locations? Like in Canada and the UK? I know that Canada has Pizza Hut and A&W.

By the way KFC Is wildly popular here in China, but they really don't stray too far from the "bits of chicken" and "bits of chicken with lettuce and mayonnaise in a bun" formula. I've eaten at KFC in Canada before and the Chinese KFC actually feels higher quality, yet cheaper. Odd.

I believe he was referring to A&W. I only know of 1 A&W where I live.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
When I first saw the name of this thread I thought it read "famous bowels." :D I love fried chicken once in a great while but KFC is naaasssty. Smells good, tastes bad and does a serious number on your G.I. system. It's no surprise they're owned by the same folks as Taco Bell whose slogan is Run for the Bathroom™ oops, Border.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
jessica. said:
And calories. Not to mention for a 150 lb person, that bowl IS the daily recommend dose of fat carbs and calories one should consume to maintain their current weight. Good luck with obesity.

Um, wrong?

Assuming 2,000 calorie, balanced diet, if you eat 3 'bowls' a day, and ONLY 3 bowls a day (just water to drink etc)

You're getting...

93g of fat...144% of the recommended daily max.

27g of saturated fat...135% of the daily max.

6330mg of sodium....264% of recommended maximum.

-plus-

4.5g of trans fat...you should have 0g of trans fat ever, if possible.

Even if the calories and carbs are in the appropriate range, the amount of fat and sodium is unacceptable for maintaining health, weight and otherwise.

Consider as well, that this is assuming you touch nothing else all day. No sweet drinks, no dessert, no snacks. Just bowls and water.

source:http://www.yum.com/nutrition/menu.asp

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
aricher said:
When I first saw the name of this thread I thought it read "famous bowels." :D I love fried chicken once in a great while but KFC is naaasssty. Smells good, tastes bad and does a serious number on your G.I. system. It's no surprise they're owned by the same folks as Taco Bell whose slogan is Run for the Bathroom™ oops, Border.

Reminds me of a joke from when I was a kid.

Why is there no toilet paper at KFC
It's finger licking good.(70's slogan)

OutThere said:
Um, wrong?

Assuming 2,000 calorie, balanced diet, if you eat 3 'bowls' a day, and ONLY 3 bowls a day (just water to drink etc)

You're getting...

Yeah but most people blow half there daily balance on one meal and as a one meal thing its not to bad. For me breakfast is plain oatmeal(nothing but oats and hot water) or more often than not black coffee. Lunch is maybe a sandwich.

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
I have to admit that I have to cover my eyes every time I see the commercials for these bowls because the sight of them makes me want to throw up. They may taste good, but they look disgusting. :p

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
MacRumors is high horse central!

No matter the topic, people feel the need to come in a thread and exclaim why their life choices are better than whatever the topic at hand is.

Its sad and hilarious all at the same time.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
cleanup said:

In the US (and Europe & SE Asia), A&W is owned by Yum!, formerly part of PepsiCo (Hense why at 99% of the locations, they sell Pepsi). In Canada, A&W is owned by Unilever.

The PepsiCo thing is odd, since Pepsi never owned A&W Root Beer, it is owned by Cadburry Schwepps, which also Ownes Dr. Pepper and 7UP in the US (Pepsi owns 7UP in the rest of the world, save for the British Isles). This wasn't a problem when Pepsi and Dr. Pepper/7up were on good terms, but since Pepsi started making Serria Mist, a large number of A&W stores in the US have had to close or change brands, because CS has limited the ammount of A&W it will sell to Pepsi for the stores.

/end rant

TEG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.