kicked off the net again...and again...bah humbug

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by seeckr, Feb 14, 2003.

1. seeckr macrumors newbie

Feb 14, 2003
    Hello, I am a fairly new mac user (iBook) 700, and I am getting kicked offline all the time. Sometimes I get a message that says "Internet connection terminated because other side not responding" and sometimes halfway through a long download i.e. jaguar updates, I will check on my computer only to find that I got kicked offline somewhere in the middle of the download. I am using a dial up and the v.90 modem configuration. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh yea, and I don't know if this helps, but when on smaller downloads I am watching the download manager, the kb,s per second very greatly from 5200 all the way down to zero and keep fluctuating. Thanks.
  2. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    that happens with dial up... You aren't on AOL are you? If you
    are GET OFF. AOL is a crap company, get as far away from them
    as possible. I would recommend getting cable or DSL, cable is
    more stable in most cases. But anyways, get rid of ur dial up.
    THere isn't really much you can do to keep dial up from kicking you
    off. Dialup is just unpredictable, slow, and annoying. ;)
  3. shadowfax macrumors 603

Sep 6, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Re: kicked off the net again...and again...bah humbug

That's too bad. you'll have to pardon scem0 for his bourgeois (i'm messing with you, scemo ;)) assumption that you just HAVE to get cable or DSL. it's a commodity not everyone is in need of, but i can guarantee you that you won't go back after you try it, if you can afford it :).

about your problem, you should check with your ISP and make sure you are dialing to v.90 connections on the other side. as i recall from ≈3 years ago, if you have a v 90 and dial to a non-v 90, it doesn't always work too well. that's the only think i can think of though; i'm kinda rusty. hope it helps!
  4. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

Jul 10, 2001
    Torrance, Californizzel

If you are on AOL...Get does blow.
  5. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2002
    What version of OS X are you using? Until 10.2.3 when I went home I would get randomly disconnected quite a bit. With 10.2.3, it almost never happened. I have yet to use 10.2.4 on dialup, so who knows how that works.
  6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    I have dsl and still get the boot once in a while when typing something long. Some providers have different policies as to when and how they give you the BOOT! check with the provider and if you dont like it give them the BOOT!:p
  7. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

Jul 4, 2001
    Catch 22

Hah, he needs 10.2.4 to fix it, but because of the need, he can't stay online long enough to get it.
  8. Wes macrumors 68020

Jun 22, 2001
    My old isp, before I got dsl, would disconnect you every 2 hours, make sure that you are not timed on the internet, although this seems unlikely in your case.
  9. seeckr thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 14, 2003
  10. ThoughtKriminal macrumors member

Feb 10, 2003
    If all else fails, before you pull your hair out or start reformatting your hard drive... buy a new modem =P
  11. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

May 4, 2002
    Go Vegan
    Can't you got the apple store with a CD-R disc and download it there? They have fast internet and they are friendly they will help. Just ask them really niceley and explain your whole problem.

12. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

Jan 5, 2003
    I have dial up, and, yes I do use AOL. :eek: I hate it, too. I am always getting kicked off. It is so annoying.

I would go with a cable modem, but in my area it would be over $100 a month, because there is only one company that offers it, and you have to have digital cable or something like that...its complicated.

But, what is the best dial up company? Because I am thinking of getting rid of AOL.

Any ideas as to what I should switch to?
  13. medea macrumors 68030

Aug 4, 2002
    Madison, Wi
    another thing is it could be your phone line, if you have static on the line it would interfere with your connection and your phone company would have to come out and find the problem, also it could be the actual phone cord you are using, how long is it, long cords have more of a chance for interferance or it could just be a bad cord. try switching cords out and see if that helps or even plug it into a different outlet. also make sure you dont have "disconnect if idle.." checked under ppp in network/system prefs.
    hope you pinpoint your issue, and try calling your isp's tech help.
  14. mattmack macrumors 6502a

Dec 12, 2002
    San Francisco Area
    There are a number af isps to choose from
    Earthlink is very mac friendly but getting very big.
    Net zero and some cheaper ones like juno I'm not familiar with