Killed My LaCie External Harddrive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lordmac, Feb 23, 2006.

1. lordmac macrumors regular

Well sort of anyways, what happen was i was plugging the drive into my pb and was being rather careless. I had assumed i would realized if i started trying to push the firewire cord in upside down, but.... I didn't. I was rewarded with the smell of electrical burning and a dead firewire 400 port on my 160 GB triple interface LaCie hard-drive (click for specs) .

Now in my fears that i completely killed my hard drive i tried plugging it in via one if its other interfaces, I chose usb and it worked fine (pheeeew). But a drive that I can't use firewire with is useless to me as my powerbook dose not have USB 2.0 so usb is extremely slow and tedious for me to use for such things.

I figured the easiest solution is just rip the hard drive out of it and put it in a new enclosure so this is were i ask you wonderfully helpful fellow members if you have any suggestions for enclosures that will give me similar performance to the LaCie enclosure or perhaps another solution if you can think of one.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I would imagine that most enclosures in the ~US$50 range would give you similar performance, but best of luck finding one that looks as good. :(

Be sure to verify the internal drive type before ordering an enclosure, BTW, just to make sure you get the right type. NewEgg has a decent selection. I'm sure other places do as well.