Killer Rash Break Out In New York!

Discussion in 'Community' started by dopefiend, May 31, 2004.

1. dopefiend macrumors 6502

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/24879.htm

Keeping myself the hell away from New York! Yesh!

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Thats some crazy headline you made up for this thread title. Wouldn't want to cause hysteria now, would you? ;)

3. dopefiend thread starter macrumors 6502

:p

It was a rash decision....

ok, I suck at this comedy thing :D

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Dang, had to read it twice to get it. One of those days....

One person gets sick, and people get all huffy-puffy about it. It was like Mad Cow in England. Yes, I'm sure it was a genuine disease, but I moved to England when it was at its worst, and the first thing I ate was a burger. :) Most people in London just laughed when I told them of the footage I saw of a mound of hundreds of cows stacked on top of one another, that was burned in order to prevent the disease from spreading. I told them that it was all over the news in North America that villages were evacuated, and some farms were burned. They thought it was ridiculous that its effect on England was so exaggerated.

Of course, I'm sure it was the same way with the view of SARS around the world. Living in Toronto, there was no real evidence of its effects other than on Canadian tourism. That effect was the worst! I just went out wherever I wanted, whenever I wanted, just like everyone else who knew better. :rolleyes: Nurses got sick because they dealt with it every day, and only one died.

5. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Damn it! just when I was ready to go with a very hot chick to get a tan at the Central Park today! (actually my eye started to itch a moment ago)

6. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Now that I read the article, that was called the "eating flesh bateria". That bacteria eat the entire flesh and a friend of mine lost his legs about 10 years ago.

That bacterai show up usually when seasons are chnaging and foreing people are more vulnerable to it because we do not have the regular antibiotics in the organism. Many people had it many years ago but it went in to silence until now. It is a bacteria only found here in the US for some reason.

7. &RU macrumors member

The media generally blows things out of proportion - this coming from someone who lives in Toronto and have not met any one who even knows anyone who got SARS.

With that said... DAMMIT, I JUST BOOKED A ROOM AT THE ROGER WILLIAMS LAST NIGHT!!

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Christ, is that what they're talking about! They didn't really mention it as "flesh eating disease"! Flesh-eating disease is probably the worst disease I have ever seen pictures of. Oh man, the repercussions of catching that is very very bad. If you ever wanted to know what a skinned human being looks like, seeing a person with this disease is pretty much as close as you get, except its only a part of the body that you see it. You just see muscles and tendon.... :( :(

Bad radiation burns are somewhat equivalent, and I've seen lots of pictures of that, but they don't go as deep as flesh eating disease.

And its not only found in the US. A Premier (like a Governor or Senator in the US, I guess) in the province of Quebec named Lucien Bouchard had the disease. Well, unless you count Canada as being a part of the US...

9. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    damn, reminds me of that necrotising faschitis or whatever it was called, that flesh eating bug going around a few years back.

all the more reason for me to get the heck out of nyc!

what scares me more is the 80,000 deaths caused by infections contracted in US hospitals yearly. that's what happens when the health service is so corrupt and based on greed like it is here. have a medical problem? ahh just take some of these! no thought to seeing why you have said problem, and trying to prevent it, just take even more pills and make the bacteria even more resilient! welcome superbug. :rolleyes:

10. dopefiend thread starter macrumors 6502

Ack, that sounds disgusting, hehe.

I'm willing to bet we will be seeing more kinds of superbugs pretty soon. :(

11. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

I for one welcome our new bacterial overlords. :p

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

13. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Dude, wrong Website. This isn't Slashdot!