Killing spree at VA Tech...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by princealfie, Apr 16, 2007.

1. macrumors 68030

princealfie

Note from the moderators: This thread is for non-political/social discussion of the tragedy at Virginia Tech...please keep political and discussion to this thread in the proper forum.

Gunman kills 21 at Virginia Tech

By SUE LINDSEY, Associated Press Writer 1 minute ago

A gunman opened fire in a dorm and classroom at Virginia Tech on Monday, killing 21 people and wounding another 21 before he was killed, police said.

"Today the university was struck with a tragedy that we consider of monumental proportions," said university president Charles Steger. "The university is shocked and indeed horrified."

The university reported shootings at opposite sides of the 2,600-acre campus, beginning at about 7:15 a.m. at West Ambler Johnston, a co-ed residence hall that houses 895 people, and continuing about two hours later at Norris Hall, an engineering building.

One student was killed in a dorm and the others were killed in the classroom, Virginia Tech Police Chief W.R. Flinchum.

After the shootings, all entrances to the campus were closed and classes canceled through Tuesday.

"There's just a lot of commotion. It's hard to tell exactly what's going on," said Jason Anthony Smith, 19, who lives in the dorm where shooting took place.

Aimee Kanode, a freshman from Martinsville, said the shooting happened on the 4th floor of West Ambler Johnston dormitory, one floor above her room. Kanode's resident assistant knocked on her door about 8 a.m. to notify students to stay put.

"They had us under lockdown," Kanode said. "They temporarily lifted the lockdown, the gunman shot again."

"We're all locked in our dorms surfing the Internet trying to figure out what's going on," Kanode said.

Madison Van Duyne, a student who was interviewed by telephone on CNN, said, "We are all in lockdown. Most of the students are sitting on the floors away from the windows just trying to be as safe as possible."

It was second time in less than a year that the campus was closed because of a shooting.

In August 2006, the opening day of classes was canceled and the campus closed when an escaped jail inmate allegedly killed a hospital guard off campus and fled to the Tech area. A sheriff's deputy involved in the manhunt was killed on a trail just off campus.

The accused gunman, William Morva, faces capital murder charges.

** Eerie similarity to what happened on Trolley Square...

2. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Wow when I read it earlier today they said just one had been killed... now 21. Not that one is less significant to those families but... I really really don't like guns... I understand hunting and because the bad guys have guns through illegal channels and such... but I just don't think I could ever own one... I'm always afraid somebody would get hurt with mine and I'd feel horrid.

I guess in a week or so the school will be getting sued... :(

3. macrumors 65816

Luis

Oh god a friend of mine is studying engineering there... hope he is ok :(

4. Moderator emeritus

yellow

There's precious little details right at the moment.
    Word is that the shooter is dead, but there's no word on how he died.

5. macrumors 68040

obeygiant

[​IMG]

An unidentified man is restrained during a manhunt on the Virginia Tech campus in Blacksburg, Va.

6. Moderator emeritus

yellow

What's that a picture of?

7. macrumors 68030

this is so sad. i feel for the families and the school. i couldn't imagine that happening. unbelievable.

8. thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

No clue but looks like a screenshot of something.

9. macrumors G4

Lord Blackadder

All the news agencies are reporting the gunman to be dead (classic mass murder/sucide?), so what is this?

10. macrumors 6502a

vouder17

Paranoia?

11. macrumors G4

Lord Blackadder

Right now CNN's front page shows four policemen carrying a bloodied body...it doesn't appear to be cuffed. Not sure if it is the gunman.

Horrible. Just horrible.

12. macrumors 6502

13. macrumors 6502a

vouder17

BBC said it was a casualty, but it could really be anything. Indeed a truly sad day for everyone.

14. macrumors 68000

epochblue

This whole thing is absolutely horrible. Truly tragic.

15. macrumors 65816

mgargan1

horrible horrible!--

The police have assault rifles drawn... Just horrible!

16. macrumors Core

terribly tragic doesn't even really begin to express this...

my thoughts go out to all those involved.

17. macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Wow....I am in shock. I have a friend at Virginia Tech. Everyone there is in my prayers.

18. macrumors 601

dpaanlka

19. macrumors 68040

obeygiant

20. macrumors Core

BBC say 22

21. macrumors 65816

This is crazy and I hope this does not happen to anyone else.

22. macrumors regular

As a Brit, I'd say it's worth bearing in mind that the BBC is always very cautious in developing events like this. They generally only ever report confirmed figures and err on the side of caution. If the networks are reporting a higher death toll, they may sadly be right. The BBC often catches up when it receives confirmation.

Hope and pray the networks are wrong. Way too tragic already.

23. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

BBC website updated to 30 :(

24. macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

CBC is saying 31, with cell phone videos!

It's just like being there!

The rush to be the first to air with "exclusive" details of such event is disgusting. These events need to be reported on, but rather than using some compassion for people with family and friends inside the media is overly concerned with getting anything on the air.

"Oh some on called us and said it was as mass suicide of Scientologist because they believe Xenu has come back for them? Print it!"

25. macrumors 68030