Kind of jobs for cocoa programmers....

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by NusuniAdmin, Sep 19, 2004.

1. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

What kind of jobs are there out there for cocoa/obj-c programmers nowadays. I am thinking apple definitly, as well as some other big name software typa companies. But really what is there out there and what kind of degrees do you need to get into that type of field?

2. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Maybe go through your favorite apps and write to the companies asking what they are looking for in an employee. Probably a CS degree + a few years experience + knowledge of Cocoa would be what they are after...

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Cocoa and WebObjects have a niche in finance too, owing to their previous life as Nextstep.

4. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

There's always part-time as well, i.e. moonlighting as a freelance Mac app programmer for a few bucks atop a day job of some sort.

Though Apple or Microsoft (I wouldn't be surprised if Office is Cocoa, though I don't know for sure) would be your best bet for a domestic day jo doing Cocoa. I think both of those haven't outsourced everything to India yet.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Office is currently Carbon. I can't remember exactly where I read it but one of the senior developers from the Mac:Office team did an interview and when asked this basically said that the two environments where equivilant and that they already had all this Carbon code so why re-write it all again.

He is correct. Cocoa is not better or worse than Carbon, just different! I personally only write code in Cocoa but you can access one from the other and most (but not all, for example Quicktime) APIs are available to both.

Edit: Found a link (not sure it's the one I read before, but looks like it).