Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon has updated its Kindle app for iOS to version 4.3, adding the ability to listen to the Audible version of Kindle books that you own. According to Amazon, there are over 45,000 Kindle/Audible titles eligible for this new in-app listening feature.

kindle-app-audible.jpg
The new Audible feature ties into Amazon's Whispersync technology, which automatically syncs progress between the Kindle and Audible versions of a book. The feature allows Amazon customers to read a book at home and then listen from where they left off when they open the Audible version of the book. In order for his feature to work, customers must own both the Kindle and Audible version of the book title.

Other changes in Kindle 4.3 for iOS version include the ability to download a collection of books, the addition of a sleep timer and new narration speeds up to 2x. Amazon also improved its X-Ray search feature and improved overall performance and stability of the app.

Kindle for iOS is a free app that can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Kindle for iOS Adds Ability to Listen to Audible Books

FakeWozniak

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
The new Audible feature requires purchase of both the book and audiobook, so Amazon can _blank_ the publisher twice. Fill in your own word.
:)

I think most people are as cheap as me, buying only 1 version of the book. Besides, I thought the Kindle app would read the text of a non-audio book, so you should be able to do that now, no?

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
My wife listens to a LOT of audiobooks because she can do stuff while listening and she loves it for travel. However, unless Amazon makes a bundle purchase offering where you get both the kindle and audio version together, so not worth it.

Who is going to double buy for this feature?

Audiobooks are already expensive at $15 (very few at this price) to the typical $25 (most are $20-25) and you have to buy a $10-15 ebook as well. Forget that pricing model!

cfc

macrumors 68030
May 27, 2011
Who owns both the Audible and Kindle versions of the same book? I read some books on my kindle and listen to others using the Audible app, but never buy the same book twice.

I guess it would be convenient occasionally, but I doubt that it's worth paying twice unless you are very well off.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Who owns both the Audible and Kindle versions of the same book? I read some books on my kindle and listen to others using the Audible app, but never buy the same book twice.

I guess it would be convenient occasionally, but I doubt that it's worth paying twice unless you are very well off.

Depending on the book, you're paying twice but not necessarily double. I just tried out this feature this morning and was able to get several audio versions for $0.99 or, at the most, $3.95. Worth it to me for certain books. I think this is a fantastic upgrade to the app and I especially love how whispersync works flawlessly between the audio and non-audio version. Very Apple-like in how it all just works.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
It seems that some books are offered that when you buy the kindle book, the audio is a $3.95 add on. That isn't actually bad. Question is whether that is standard pricing or whether the cost will vary significantly. This is certainly a feature that iTunes/iBooks would be losing out on if they don't copy. All of our eBooks are iBooks and all our Audiobooks are iTunes(Audible), but not sure how quickly Apple would be to react and add "add the audio" syncing and pricing to their books.

mrnoglue

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2011
Might get some flak for this, but I hope that Amazon Kindle sales drop off a cliff. Maybe then they will add prime benefits to the ios kindle app (after their platform becomes obsolete).

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA

This past year I got about $50 in Audible freebie credits that I was able to use with the matching program. Some audiobook companions are only $0.99-4 this way. So yes, I was able to buy both and not actually pay a single dime of my own money. I bought some things I didn't buy as Kindle ebooks too though.

Generally speaking, I like having both. You can't annotate audio, but you can markup eBooks. I often listen first, then go back and note stuff in the book.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
My wife is currently readying an iBooks book. That book is $7.99 in Kindle version and the audible add-on is $12.99 :eek: bringing the total to $21. The irony is that the audio alone is $24. Seems like pricing is wacky.

The same books is the same price in iBooks and through iTunes audible. But of course iTunes doesn't offer read/listen or audio add on.

Singin Hobo

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Texas
Amazon DOES offer a discount on the audio price for books that they can pair with whispersync. Personally as an Audible-first user I'd like to see the discount applied the other way as well, but it's still a nice feature. I've been an Audible subscriber for 7-8 years and I love it.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
PSA: For those that don't know, iTunes U has free lectures for all kinds of stuff that you can listen to when you run out of audiobook credits. It's worth checking out!

Besides, I thought the Kindle app would read the text of a non-audio book, so you should be able to do that now, no?

I used to listen to a ton of audiobooks when I worked at night and it can depend heavily on the person reading. A storyteller can make or break a good book and synthesized voices aren't really known for their storytelling. Granted, I haven't tried the text to audio feature on Kindle before, so I may be pleasantly surprised. I should note that for nonfiction it matters a lot less than it does for fiction.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Yet another market apple should of never entered.

We now see how apple has made mistakes

iTunes Radio, iBooks, maps

Apple is mostly good at hardware.

I love my iPhone and iPad but apple you fail at software and services

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I have a Prime membership, and never use Instant Video and of course it is going up $20 this year.

I would gladly swap my Instant Video for Audible (as Audible is owned by Amazon) or pay $150 per year for a Prime w/ Audible membership.

I'm guessing Audible accounts are still about $15 per month.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Yet another market apple should of never entered.

We now see how apple has made mistakes

iTunes Radio, iBooks, maps

Apple is mostly good at hardware.

I love my iPhone and iPad but apple you fail at software and services

I can understand the others, but I don't see what's wrong with iBooks.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Wow. Kindle for iOS only supports downloading samples. And the Amazon app doesn't either. Books must be purchased in Safari for iOS or on your computer and "sent" to the device. Seems like a strange, multi-step process.

NeroAZ

Suspended
Jun 23, 2009
Phoenx, AZ
I have a Prime membership, and never use Instant Video and of course it is going up $20 this year.

I would gladly swap my Instant Video for Audible (as Audible is owned by Amazon) or pay $150 per year for a Prime w/ Audible membership.

I'm guessing Audible accounts are still about $15 per month.

amazon has the kindle reading library where prime members can read kindle books for free. It would be awesome if they also did this with audible books!

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
NeroAZ ^^ - yes true. But the library only works with Kindle devices and not Kindle for iOS.

How can you see the add on cost for an audible book to a kindle e-book purchase?

Search Amazon.com for the book. Click on the Kindle version in the list of Kindle, Hardcover, etc. In a box around mid screen your will see something regarding Whispersync and the add audible version at the end of a paragraph at x price in bold. This only appears if the title has an Audible version, not to be confused with Audiobook on CDs.

http://www.amazon.com/Goldfinch-Nov...swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=1-1&qid=1402415326

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
The new Audible feature requires purchase of both the book and audiobook, so Amazon can _blank_ the publisher twice. Fill in your own word.
:)

I think most people are as cheap as me, buying only 1 version of the book. Besides, I thought the Kindle app would read the text of a non-audio book, so you should be able to do that now, no?

Maybe the DoJ should investigate Amazon's ebook sales :D.

vertgo

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2006
Thank Jobs

Wow. Kindle for iOS only supports downloading samples. And the Amazon app doesn't either. Books must be purchased in Safari for iOS or on your computer and "sent" to the device. Seems like a strange, multi-step process.

This was part of apple's strategy to keep amazon from selling on the phone. They aren't allowed on ios to let people buy without giving 30% of the price to apple, AND they're not allowed to sell for a different price elsewhere. So either they do it this way or they raise the prices by 30% for everyone. I just buy on the web or on the android edition.

Also, on ios I can add an audible title that I own the kindle edition of to my wish list and then buy at a steep discount at amazon already. I think the book I was looking at went from $34 to $6

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
This was part of apple's strategy to keep amazon from selling on the phone. They aren't allowed on ios to let people buy without giving 30% of the price to apple, AND they're not allowed to sell for a different price elsewhere. So either they do it this way or they raise the prices by 30% for everyone. I just buy on the web or on the android edition.

Also, on ios I can add an audible title that I own the kindle edition of to my wish list and then buy at a steep discount at amazon already. I think the book I was looking at went from $34 to $6

I don't see the big deal about just going to the website in Safari and making the purchase. Yes, it's an extra step, but not exactly onerous.

Great update to the Kindle app. With this sort of development to an app that's not Amazon proprietary software, it gives me confidence in supporting Amazon's efforts.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I don't know if it is in the app, but their website shows the price at least.

Thanks for this. I will try it out.

I really wish there was a bundle for physical book and audio book. Id pay $4 more for the both everytime. I still prefer holding an actual book.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Who owns both the Audible and Kindle versions of the same book?

While it's not the typical use case, this is basically why DRM exists - so they can sell you the same content over and over.

On a side note: If Apprentice Alf's tools did not exist, I would never purchase a Kindle book. Fortunately as it stands, I've bought a lot of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.