King Kong Trailer

Discussion in 'Community' started by xli_ne, Jun 27, 2005.

1. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

Just saw the King Kong trailer while on the mac so I thought I would comment.

Everything seems to be looking good, expect, maybe it was just because the shots were moving so fast, but the CG just didn't look all that good. The t-rex moved like like in jp3 as well. (Not a bad thing, but still) I will still go see it and really am looking forward to it, just some of those CG shots...

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I just saw it, I think the plot looks horrible. But we will see....

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Looks good. You know there's gonna be heaps of awesome special effecets. Natalie Portman is my favorite actress.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I was quite impressed - this should be good. But Jack Black? That's going to be interesting :D

D

5. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Appears you already hit the 20K mark there Mr Anderson. Or should I call you Neo?

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmmm...it's always funny when a movie like King Kong gets remade in the absence of the cultural drivers that created it the first time around. But who knows? I guess it could fail to suck.

7. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

8. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

????? - you mean naomi watts

9. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Yes she's also one of my favorite actresses as well. I loved her in Mulholland Drive. That lez & "m" scene were pure ecstasy.

10. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

now i just want weta to make the Evangelion live action movie T_T

11. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

I wonder if the whole thing is going to be 1.85:1, or 2.35:1 like LOTR. I take Mr. Jackson as an anamorphic man, but he may have chosen the smaller one to honor the original, which was 1.37:1, or fullscreen.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is such a thing in the works? That could be amazing...it could be terrible, too, but it could be amazing.... Watashi ni kaeri nasai!

So I watched the King Kong trailer....I don't know. This movie looks like it was made by marketing execs. Why, for the love of God, are there dinosaurs? :rolleyes: I'm just reinforcing my suspicion that King Kong should've been left in the attic with Bojangles.

13. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

I'm missing on my history/movie knowledge here. What were the cultural drivers that created the original?

14. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I'm kind of regretting watching the trailer. Its almost like they gave away the plot. Obviously somehow, King Kong is going to make it back to NY to cause havoc. The whole film crew shooting on a mythical island could have been left out. That would have been a nice surprise to see how the King Kong movie would have developed.

1920's New York looks absolutely fabulous. The textures look so much realistic than, say, Star Wars Ep.III.

15. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Have you seen the original?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0024216/plotsummary

That's from the 1933 original movie plot. The thing that makes it harder to accept, I guess, is that we've already done the *Island Of Dinosaurs* with Jurasic Park and sequels. I think its great and I'm hoping we see King Kong open up a can or two of wuppass on a T-Rex :D

I also think they might make fun of the Jurasic Park bit - it would be very hard not to :D

I'm putting the original on my Net Flix cue - it will be great to see it before the remake comes out....when is it coming to theaters?

D

16. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

I am not going to argue that scene was delicious

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, okay, I had to jog my memory a little bit. Sorry about that one. :eek: It's been a long time...yeah, dinosaurs, I guess it could happen. :)

Stridey, a lot of people see the original movie as a racist allegory about the dangers of integration. Even though the ending has a tender attitude towards King Kong, the conclusion is still the idea that the "uncontrollable" urges of black men will lead to devastation when they are allowed to be in the presence of white women, who are seen as irresistible. Not everyone takes that interpretation of the original movie, but it is a pretty widely held view that, whether or not this was intentionally the story the movie tells, that sentiment in 30s culture made up the backdrop that allowed such a movie to come into existence.

18. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I loved the old stop motion King Kong movies as a kid. I think this 2005 version might be too intense for the younger crowd. What do you think? Discuss.

19. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I think that this movie has some wickedly awesome potential. And it does have Peter Jackson directy, so... ;)

20. emw macrumors G4

emw

It will be rated PG-13, I would think.

From what I read in USA Today this morning, there's still much work to be done on the graphics - even to the point of determining Kong's final look. Should be a good movie, though, although I'm a little surprised they're bringing in dinosaurs... :confused:

21. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Wow. That's really interesting. It's too bad that it plays so heavily into america's murky past. I retain high hopes for the flick though, if only as a monster movie. We'll see how it turns out.

22. roadapple macrumors regular

Saw an extended ad tonight, at first thought it was the movie version on our favorite TV show Lost.

Jack Black Rocks, and PJ can't hurt.

23. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I don't know about Jack Black, but the fact that Peter Jackson is directing it gives me hope.

That, and the CG shots in the LOTR trilogy were outstanding.

24. roadapple macrumors regular

PJ, F. Walsh and P Boyens share screenplay credits, this may be good.

Dinosaurs are kick as_

25. iPoster macrumors regular

Er, I've never heard that one before..sounds like people assigning things they interpret/want to see to a product of the past. :confused:

Now if there were some editorials/writings from the period that would back that theory up, I would accept that...I'm not sure how you get from a giant gorilla to an 'uncontrollable' black man...unless you're talking an extremely broad characterization...