King of the Nerds, thoughts on the debate

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by ardchoille50, Feb 20, 2014.

1. ardchoille50, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2014

macrumors 6502a

ardchoille50

I didn't know where to post this, so please accept my apologies if this is the wrong section.

I've been keeping up with King of the Nerds this season and tonight they held a debate on an age old subject: Star Trek universe vs. Star Wars universe. They debated ships, weaponry, personel, technology and box office success. it was a very good debate.

Who do you think would win and why?

2. macrumors 601

Plutonius

Neither. Doctor Who would win :D.

3. macrumors 68020

Solomani

The Borg Cube would assimilate any Death Star.

4. macrumors 65816

Mousse

Doctor Who violates the laws of physics. Can someone explain to me how a robot the sizes of a large trash bin can generate enough power to destroy an entire fleet?:eek: The Dalek was created using science, so it must abide by the laws of science.

As a fan of all three, I say Star Trek would win because they have several a species with beings with godlike powers: the Organians, the Q, Douwd. One Douwd, Kevin Uxbridge, completely wiped out an entire species of 50 billion (50,000,000,000:eek:) with single thought.:eek::eek::eek:

5. macrumors 601

Plutonius

Case closed. Anyone who can violate the laws of physics is supreme.

Besides, I never studied law (old Bugs Bunny quote) :D.

6. macrumors G3

rhett7660

Star Wars hands down. But lets not count the "first" movie. Revenge isn't too bad and either is clone. But the first one, good god shoot me now.

7. thread starter macrumors 6502a

ardchoille50

Surprisingly none of those species were mentioned in the debate. I feel this point would have gone a long way toward winning.

I didn't like the first one either. Perhaps they felt it was necessary in order to establish a history? It did serve to help in that aspect.

8. macrumors 603

mobilehaathi

Star Trek, obviously. The Q.

9. macrumors G3

roadbloc

I concur. Doctor Who is much better than both Star Wars and Star Trek.

10. macrumors 68000

phrehdd

In terms of box office - Star Wars

In terms of Science Fiction - Star Trek sans Q and similar

In terms of humanist and fantasy stories - Dr. Who

My personal take - I sit in that camp that can take or leave Star Wars. I saw it when it originally came out and my friends and I thought it was a great deal of fun but nothing spectacular. The masses of course disagreed with us as it became a "phenom" immediately. I admit I am more a fan of Star Trek and Dr. Who Star Trek was more sci fi than the others mentioned and consider Dr. Who in the realm of fantasy along with Star Wars as an homage to serial movies that sit with "good guys and bad guys" such as Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers. I admit I also sit in the minority as I never liked episodes of Star Trek with "the Q" as they were for me just plain silly. For more recent sci-fi, I find that Battlestar Galactica reboot and more so - Caprica fit the bill. The latter was off the air way too quickly which left me with a sense of chagrin. I might as well throw in Star Gate as being (for me) more entertaining than Star Wars.