Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Helianthus

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
I'm thinking about upgrading the RAM in my new macbook and I have two options that I'm considering:

1. Kingmax 1GB ($94.99 CAN) x 2
- 30 days direct exchange
- 1 year manufacturers warranty
2. Kingston 1GB ($110.00 CAN) x 2
- Lifetime manufacturers warranty

I'm just wondering how worth it is to have a lifetime warranty. I plan to keep this macbook for about 3 years or so. I would assume any faulty RAM would crap out within the first year anyways. What is the better buy?

DaLurker

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
I'm thinking about upgrading the RAM in my new macbook and I have two options that I'm considering:

1. Kingmax 1GB ($94.99 CAN) x 2
- 1 year manufacturers warranty
2. Kingston 1GB ($110.00 CAN) x 2
- Lifetime manufacturers warranty

I'm just wondering how worth it is to have a lifetime warranty. I plan to keep this macbook for about 3 years or so. I would assume any faulty RAM would crap out within the first year anyways. What is the better buy?

Actually I believe Kingmax ram also has a lifetime warranty:
http://www.kingmaxdigi.com/support/Products Warranty.htm

Note: Warranty Period
Lifetime Warranty: KINGMAX

The Canada Computer's website got it wrong ;)

Btw I'm using the Kingmax (2 x 1gb) and it works well.

Helianthus

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Awesome, thats good to hear. Saving 30 bucks will be nice. Did you get from Canada Computers as well?

Helianthus

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Ah well, I'm sure it was the going rate at the time. Canada Computers is pretty fair in their pricing. Anyways, thanks for the help on the situation, I'll definitely go with the Kingmax.

DaLurker

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Ah well, I'm sure it was the going rate at the time. Canada Computers is pretty fair in their pricing. Anyways, thanks for the help on the situation, I'll definitely go with the Kingmax.

Yeah it was... amazing how quick Ram prices fell. Definitely well worth the money, even at an extra $30 per stick.

You getting 2gb?

Helianthus

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Yea I'm definitely going to upgrade to 2gb. I currently have 2 x 512mb and if I open a ton of stuff at one time, it gets a little sluggish. If I sell my current 2 x 512mb on ebay or something, this upgrade is very cheap!

DaLurker

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Yea I'm definitely going to upgrade to 2gb. I currently have 2 x 512mb and if I open a ton of stuff at one time, it gets a little sluggish. If I sell my current 2 x 512mb on ebay or something, this upgrade is very cheap!

Good call, 2gb is the way to go :) I rarely max out 2gb and sometimes I have 10 preview windows open, with textmate, entourage, skype, msn, itunes, firefox and more :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.