Kingston Value RAM vs Kingston 'Macbook' RAM. What's the difference?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by drewfasa, Jul 21, 2006.

1. drewfasa macrumors newbie

drewfasa

Does anyone know what the difference is between KVR667Ds25 RAM and the KTA MB667 RAM? Kingston recommends the latter, but the Value RAM is about £10 cheaper. Is this just a case of paying extra for an 'Apple' accessory (I'm guessing 'MB' in MB667 stands for MacBook) or is there an actual difference?

2. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I'm not sure, but I don't think the "MB" stands for macbook (though it may?)... my best guess is you're looking at value ram vs. "quality" ram.. i *think* the difference is the type/quality of the components they use.

a few companies have "value" ram as well as "regular" or "quality" ram - Corsair is another one.

3. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

Probably not much....but for 10 difference, why take the chance? now if it was 100 difference, then I'd say go for the cheaper.

4. generik macrumors 601

generik

I once got the "better" ram and have it not work in my PBG4, both modules.

Not sure if it means anything, but certified compatible ram might not be as what it is cracked up to be.

5. drewfasa thread starter macrumors newbie

drewfasa

Really, I was thinking K(Kingston)T(Technologies)A(Apple)MB(MacBook)667(MHz) vs K(Kingston)V(Value)R(RAM)667(MHz)D2(DDR2?)S5(no idea). Also, these are the only two RAMs with the right specs that Kingston sells and they don't give any difference.

6. generik macrumors 601

generik

I'd just buy from either OWC or Datamem, not affliated, but they'd supposedly care for the little man more. My experience of having to RMA a module was not pleasant.