Kinky Friedman Campaign Statement

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by KingYaba, Sep 21, 2006.

1. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Thought I should share with my fellow Texans who lurk the MR boards. :)

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Might help the rest of us if we had a little context.

To me, the "crackheads" comment is offensive, but not necessarily racist. And the pandering remark? I see his point: treating any minority group as a monolithic voting bloc is ignorant.

But the controversy over a remark in a comedy routine? Yeah, that's just opportunistic character assassination on the part of his opponents. Pathetic.

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Pisses me off when either party does this stuff. Welcome to politics Kinky. Oops, you're a racist!

Hasn't he ever watched the West Wing?

4. KingYaba thread starter macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Some need to listen to Kinky's songs, or read his books. They'll discover that he is no racist in any way. In fact he makes fun of racists. Like he said earlier, he doesn't eat bagels with the jews, fried chickin' in the hood, and tamales in the barrio. :D

Dems and Reps are very threatened by Kinky. This is their last resort to discredit him. I bet Texans will see through these dirty tricks. :cool:

5. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

If people would listen to what he was saying, they'd realize that he's doing it as a form of satire.

I really like his ideas for running Texas, and he'll get my vote.

Unfortunately, someone somewhere will be offended by anything you say at any time, even if it was a context that WASN'T racist.

I somehow doubt it. I don't have much faith in Texas. :(

6. KingYaba thread starter macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I was listening to Kinky on the radio this morning. The host has a poll up on his website asking whether people will still vote for him. Interesting results say this is an accurate represention...

http://ankarlo.net/ - right hand side, just scroll down a bit.

7. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I like Kinky. I like his songs; always have. I like his attitude. No way would I ever believe he's racist. IMO, anybody who says so is a liar.

I moved back to Austintatious, the old home town, in 1963. I really have difficulty in remembering any segregation in restaurants there in the middle 1960s, and Lord knows I ate out quite often. I'm a bit hard pressed to believe "Kinky Friedman was picketing segregated restaurants in Austin to integrate them." He would have had to hunt to find one. Could have happened, but nowhere near often. Outside of that, though, no problem. Everybody exaggerates in politics.

The lad does have a helluva learning curve to go through about Texas schools, though, from a lengthy radio interview I heard a few months back.

Good guy, no doubt...

My opinion is that Carole Rylander is the best qualified, the most knowlegeable, of all the candidates.

'Rat

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

if every american read history book, kerry would be president, war would never started,
    this political system is now build on the TV-Ad-Lies, and lazy people believe it. ask them to read a book before deciding who they should vote for? no way.

9. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Okay, found the article in the SA paper. Yeah, the old "Plantation" restaurant on what's now W. MLK Blvd. At Nueces, IIRC. A bunch of us quit going there when we learned about the refusal to integrate. There was some picketing, but it was the "vote with your cash" that changed the place.

As far as the "crackheads" in Houston/Katrina refugees, that's pretty factual. Ask the PD; they've needed an extra $4 million just to deal with the dregs. Murder rate's up, robbery rate's up. A high percentage of the perps they catch are ex-Nagin-voters.

Aw, well. Shoot the messenger.

'Rat

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

How do you know their political persuasion?

11. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Published demographics of New Orleans voters, plus published crime data. New Orleans Times-Picayune. Off-and-on reading, since 1989. Houston "Cronk", same, plus friends' commentaries and cops' talk. Some DOJ stuff.

You go along I-10 from Houston to Baton Rouge, you won't find many folks that would give you 2¢ for all of New Orleans, most of the people from there, or any of their politicos.

Shame, really...

'Rat

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Care to share any of this with us?

13. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

So IOW you just kinda guessed (made it up).

14. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I used to work in a job with a fair amount of travel. I fell into the habit of always buying local newspapers to get a feel for local ideas, viewpoints, happenings. So, I still do that when I travel. I watch the local TV news when at a motel.

I travel back and forth on I-10 between west Texas and Tallahassee some three or four round trips a year. I have friends in Houston. I know others in Orange, Texas, and in Lafayette, LA.

(Second marriage: My wife has her micro-empire in south Georgia; I have mine in west Texas. So, backing and forthing.)

I dunno. You guys know what goes on around you, right? From your years of experience and local area news? I just have a larger "local area".

So if you want some specific URL, nope, no way. You can always go hunt through the archives of the Houston Chronicle or the New Orleans Times-Picayune. It's all there, in numerous articles.

If something is going on--like Katrina, e.g.--a daily browsing of local papers gave a lot of info. Same for the Cronk, when the issue of the rising crime rate in Houston gets mentioned on some website. (Whence came the $4 million reference.) The Census website gives voting demographics. The DOJ gives crime stats. The CDC gives mortality causes by ethnic group. It's not hard to put the data together and draw conclusions.

pseudobrit, your "So IOW you just kinda guessed (made it up)." is the same as calling me a liar. That's a personal insult of the lowest sort.

While I don't pretend to be infallible, I don't make things up; I don't lie. My joke about that is that I'm too lazy to want to remember what I said...

'Rat

15. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Yeah, the sound bite of the day political system. An electorate lacking the intellect and or interest to do anything more than to suckle at the teat of the two parties spinmasters.

16. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

So, even if you put all of that together and it all added up, you're still a bit short of meeting the burden of proof required to claim that Texas' newest felons used to vote for Nagin.

I'd be willing to bet that voter turnout in those areas was low, and that your average future felon didn't bother with the polls very often. But that's just a guess and I'm not willing to state it as fact. It's unfortunate you didn't make the distinction.

I grew up around enough farmland to know what ******** smells like. You want me to not call it what it is to spare your feelings?

17. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Am I? This is news to me?!;)

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Your insinuation about crime and "Nagin voters" was also a personal insult of the lowest sort, that was totally unnecessary in terms of the point you were making. Yet you deliberately chose to throw it in.

At least PBs targets are here to defend themselves...

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Wow, really? I mean, you related the rise in crime to the poorer displaced Katrina victims, which is probably fairly accurate. But then called them Nagin voters. I'm not going to go claiming racism or anything, but that was a bit of a leap don't you think? Then you're defensive when called on it? How did pb insult you? You did make it up. And it was kinda insulting.

You could have just called them former NOLA criminals.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And made his point just fine. But no, he had to take it that extra step for no other reason than to deliver a personal insult of the lowest kind. And then he want's to claim offense when someone calls him on it.

But then, this isn't the first time 'Rat's been unable to take what he routinely dishes out...