Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
When I first moved to America, 16 years ago, someone said to me, "K.I.S.S."
I looked at them funny, and asked, what on earth does that mean?

All that to say, over the past 72 hours, I've learned a lot about the Mac OS, and hardware, and cost for that matter.

This is what I'm going to do (not sure why I'm explaining this, but, sometimes it is good to share), return my iMac, and keep my MacBook Pro.

I have a Samsung monitor, and if I need to, connect my MacBook to it, via HDMI. I also have a Logitech Wave keyboard and mouse. So, in essence, I'll have a 'Desktop' of sorts.
At the same time, I can keep my Windows HP Z600 up and running close by (it has it's own monitor).

To me this sounds like it would work. At least till one day I can go all out and get a top of the line iMac. So, as they say here, Keep It Simple Stupid...

Reactions: Closingracer

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Lol You just reminded me of my old Econ class.... god I miss that class was so much fun. Loved the professor.

That is where I learned K.I..S.S :)

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Several months ago I went through the process of analyzing what would be best for my needs. I had been impatiently waiting for the 21.5" iMac with retina screen to be announced and when it finally was the specs were truly disappointing. I already had a 2012 iMac and a 13" rMBP. The latter ran circles around the former and I knew it had to do with the fact that one was still using a "platter" HD and the other an SSD.

I spent some time putting together the specs that I'd want, which included a 512 SSD, and ran that configuration through the Apple store to get an idea of the pricing. Hm.... In the meantime I also started looking at the 15" rMBP and evaluating it as a possible purchase. There wasn't much cost difference between a BTO 21.5" iMac and the 2015 rMBP, and so I really seriously started considering other pros and cons.

I realized that I could get an external monitor and plug in the 15" rMBP if I wanted and needed more screen real estate. The portability of the laptop was a strong point in its favor. After taking all the pros and cons, specs and other factors into consideration one day I walked into my local Apple store and purchased the 15" rMBP. It serves as a very good desktop replacement and I am very pleased with my choice. The machine is on a TwelveSouth stand and I use the Apple BT keyboard, trackpad and mouse with it. Haven't gotten around to buying an external monitor yet, haven't felt the need, but the option is always there. Apple may eventually get around to putting SSDs into their 21.5" retina iMacs as standard, but the fact that they didn't this time lost me as an iMac customer. The rMBP serves my needs very well, and boy, this thing is FAST!

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I have a Samsung monitor, and if I need to, connect my MacBook to it, via HDMI. I also have a Logitech Wave keyboard and mouse. So, in essence, I'll have a 'Desktop' of sorts.

Sensible move - that's how I've been working for years. You also get some of the advantages of a dual-screen system: I'm a fan of the Griffin Elevator stand (https://griffintechnology.com/intl/catalog/product/view/id/4908 - I'm sure there are cheaper options, starting with a pile of books) that puts the laptop on a level with the external display & frees up a bit of desk space.

At the same time, I can keep my Windows HP Z600 up and running close by (it has it's own monitor).

Can I also recommend a cross-platform app called Synergy (http://synergy-project.org/synergy/) that will let you control both machines with one mouse and keyboard?

Reactions: circatee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.