Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
Can't wait to see what it looks like after you're finished. I will be looking on ebay tonight for a Rev A/B iMac G5. I just hope I can find one for a reasonable price, but I'm sure it won't be too much trouble to find one. I think my mom will like this much better than the mini and the cables being everywhere.

Are you going to be using a BT keyboard/mouse for it? I'm not sure which would be better, however, the least amount of wires the better.

check out the first pics at the top of this thread...

it came with BT keyboard and mouse! score. even had batteries in them :)

McGarvels

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2006
Irvine, CA
check out the first pics at the top of this thread...

it came with BT keyboard and mouse! score. even had batteries in them :)

haha, nice. You're going to have a pretty sweet set up. I'm bidding on a 20" iMac G5 right now, so here's hoping.

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
Okay, time for a major update, I just built up all my energy and hammered it all in one go. (I'm not feeling too great at the mo, at home sick with the flu)

doesn't stop me using a hammer drill and upsetting the neighbours! :cool:

First up, the VESA mount kit parts, a big pic of the rear of the iMac removed and associated parts and the iMac back together with the VESA mount and wall bracket attached firmly.

OH MY GOD this is all just too much for one day!! Somebody stop me!

How about some shots of it running?

:eek:

Attachments

• iMacinstall 11.jpg
    iMacinstall 11.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 324
  • iMacinstall 1.jpg
    iMacinstall 1.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 410
  • iMacinstall 3.jpg
    iMacinstall 3.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 305
  • iMacinstall 8.jpg
    iMacinstall 8.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 572
  • iMacinstall 6.jpg
    iMacinstall 6.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 617

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
I know you guys want more more more... so here goes:

the wall that it's being mounted on, the same wall, now with SANUS mount, and the iMac, mounted!!

I've temporarily bundled the power cable up behind the iMac, until I change the powerpoint below into a 4-socket, and hardwire the iMac power lead into the top of it, for a smooth and discrete install. Idea is to not draw attention to the power lead when I'm all done here!

Attachments

• iMacinstall 7.jpg
    iMacinstall 7.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 359
  • iMacinstall 9.jpg
    iMacinstall 9.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 257
  • iMacinstall 5.jpg
    iMacinstall 5.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 191
  • iMacinstall 4.jpg
    iMacinstall 4.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 168

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
just restoring from system CD's at the moment, I did a 10.3.9 update last night with all the extras and it crapped out, spewing out I/O errors in the system logs.. *sigh*, after a quick call to my apple shop, they suggested I try a re-install and go from there! so it may end up with a new hard disk next week, we shall see!

A couple more pics :) iMac tilted for use whilst sitting on the stools...

Just going to update the first thread now, with a little more information! Cant wait to see the look in the wifes face when she gets home! hehe

Attachments

• iMacinstallfinal 2.jpg
    iMacinstallfinal 2.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 472
  • iMacinstallfinal 1.jpg
    iMacinstallfinal 1.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 625

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
Not much range of motion on that VESA arm, is there? Kinda limits your viewing angle - the iMac basically points directly down the workbench.

Are the iMac's internal speakers going to be loud enough? I had a G5 and it was poor.

As for the recipe software, what exactly are you cooking? Your kitchen seems a bit bare! Tad overkill.

VESA mounts are cool and all but it seems to me that the iMac's original stand would have been far more versatile!

Still, glad you are happy with it. That's the main thing. I get by in my kitchen with printed out recipes and a radio!

Azmodon

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2005
Hampton Roads, Virginia
Man, that's REALLY cool! :)

Reminds me of this one project I read about - a guy installed an old Mac cube into his truck. Had wireless everything. Dunno how well it turned out for him - probably upgraded everything when the mini came out. ^_^

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
Not much range of motion on that VESA arm, is there? Kinda limits your viewing angle - the iMac basically points directly down the workbench.

Are the iMac's internal speakers going to be loud enough? I had a G5 and it was poor.

As for the recipe software, what exactly are you cooking? Your kitchen seems a bit bare! Tad overkill.

VESA mounts are cool and all but it seems to me that the iMac's original stand would have been far more versatile!

Still, glad you are happy with it. That's the main thing. I get by in my kitchen with printed out recipes and a radio!

Hey mate,
The vesa arm swivels from left to right a fair distance, and up and down 30deg. It's very very versatile, and another model of this arm allows the machine to swing off the wall on an arm, etc, I didnt want that. I wanted it exactly like this. Otherwise I wouldnt have wasted my time.

The iMac's internal speakers are good for, well, system sounds. I have it streaming music to one of (or all) stereo systems in this house, including one in the same room, all via Airport Express and AirTunes. Very cool.

recipe software, a bit of a novelty. I didnt photograph inside my cupboards, or the bookshelves full of cook books, etc? My wife likes the kitchen TIDY. I have a pantry that puts most supermarkets to shame. trust me.

The original iMac stand has NOTHING on this bracket. Go back to post #1 in this thread and follow the link for the Sanus mount... it has all the information you need. I've purposely angled the iMac down a tad, so I can use it comfortably whilst sitting on the stools. I can angle it straight, to the side, up, down, whatever, it's an excellent mount, but at a price. (made in USA too!)

If I can answer any more of your negative questions, just let me know :rolleyes:

edit* thanks mod for keeping my thread clean'ish. I hope some people find it useful...

shikimo

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2007
Lyon, France
right on!!

not sure how any thread this cool could've turned negative...

...but in any case, i think your kitchen looks fantastic! the power cord doesnt look bad either, although i can see why you want it a bit cleaner-looking, considering the state of everything else.

not sure how my wife's gonna feel about it, but this is now on my list of projects. one question, though: it seems like everything in our kitchen is in need of a serious wipedown about once a week, even with a decent hoodfan (we both cook regularly...the food in france makes everything else worth the trouble ;) ). i know its brand new so you dont know yet, but what do you think about the effect of a kitchen environment on the imac?

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
not sure how any thread this cool could've turned negative...

...but in any case, i think your kitchen looks fantastic! the power cord doesnt look bad either, although i can see why you want it a bit cleaner-looking, considering the state of everything else.

not sure how my wife's gonna feel about it, but this is now on my list of projects. one question, though: it seems like everything in our kitchen is in need of a serious wipedown about once a week, even with a decent hoodfan (we both cook regularly...the food in france makes everything else worth the trouble ;) ). i know its brand new so you dont know yet, but what do you think about the effect of a kitchen environment on the imac?

I will definately have that cord more sorted. not 100% gone, although that would be possible by pulling a tile or two, and digging into the wall etc. But much neater than it is now. going to swap that 2-socket power point for a 4-socket, and then hardwire the mac cable in through the top, maybe glue the power cord on top of the tile grout... etc

you sound like a messy bastard, but all good cooks are messy bastards, I bet you leave your clothes all over the bedroom floor like I do, and a pair of shoes in every room/hallway.

I've not really had a problem with any food-type stuff covering any of the other items that are on this bench near where the iMac is. The cooking area is on the other side of the kitchen. the 'prep' area is usually the other end of this very bench that the mac sits above. When very very busy we sometimes use the entire bench. I think the machine is high up enough to not get splashed, spilt on, knocked! I'll be sure to let you know though!

Cheers

shikimo

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2007
Lyon, France
yeah, itll probably be ok...and you probably dont have much occasion to cook fondue, raclette or mongolian/korean-style barbecue down there, which are all things that involve a hot steamy grill right on the table, i.e. right under the iMac.

anyway, do humor me and post back after you've cooked a bunch of meals and let us know how the screen and internals are holding up.

PS if you or someone you know can read french, marmiton.org is a fantastic and FREE recipe website, and waaaay easier and less snotty than your average french cuisine site.

gavd

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2006
Been following this thread since you started it to see how it turned out, and I have to say I'm well impressed with the set up. Looks really really good.

Of course, I'm now insanely jealous... :D

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
just restoring from system CD's at the moment, I did a 10.3.9 update last night with all the extras and it crapped out, spewing out I/O errors in the system logs.. *sigh*, after a quick call to my apple shop, they suggested I try a re-install and go from there! so it may end up with a new hard disk next week, we shall see!

A couple more pics :) iMac tilted for use whilst sitting on the stools...

Just going to update the first thread now, with a little more information! Cant wait to see the look in the wifes face when she gets home! hehe

You did a wonderful job. Great work on that! Are those ikea stools?

eji

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
INW
If you're looking for a fantastic remote control, try the ATI Remote Wonder II. You can pick it up for about $30 US, sometimes less, and you can customize the buttons to control any application: VLC, iTunes, Quicktime, Safari... you name it. It works with radio, not IR, so you don't actually have to point the remote at the unit to get it to work.

I bought it for my pre-Front Row iMac G5 and it's brilliant. The Mac support on it is just great -- I really can't praise it highly enough.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Looks awesome!!!!!

I'd love to have something like that someday - but i'm sure even then my husband still wouldn't read the calendar (LOL, he says he doesn't read the one on the fridge because there is "too much stuff on it". Um, ok - so that is our lives! LOL!!

Anyway, I have no spot for it anyway :(

Enjoy!!!!

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
Outstanding job! And I must say, I LOVE that kitchen! The track lighting obove the mac is also very nice.

I would LOVE to do this sometime in the near future (hopefully- first I need a house!). I can see it now- a nice wall mounted touch screen mac in the kitchen and a couple mac cube fishtanks in the house. Wonderful!

scan

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2005
Well Done

Can you watch TV on it? If not, you should incorporate that. That would be sweet. I wish I had that kind of kitchen... iMac would be awesome to play songs while I'm cooking, look up recipes, watch tv... good job!

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2005
I will definately have that cord more sorted. not 100% gone, although that would be possible by pulling a tile or two, and digging into the wall etc. But much neater than it is now. going to swap that 2-socket power point for a 4-socket, and then hardwire the mac cable in through the top, maybe glue the power cord on top of the tile grout... etc

you sound like a messy bastard, but all good cooks are messy bastards, I bet you leave your clothes all over the bedroom floor like I do, and a pair of shoes in every room/hallway.

I've not really had a problem with any food-type stuff covering any of the other items that are on this bench near where the iMac is. The cooking area is on the other side of the kitchen. the 'prep' area is usually the other end of this very bench that the mac sits above. When very very busy we sometimes use the entire bench. I think the machine is high up enough to not get splashed, spilt on, knocked! I'll be sure to let you know though!

Cheers

One thing i would suggest is a iskin for your keyboard just in case you muse use it and your hands are covered, wish there was something similar for the mighty mouse but it usually wipes right off

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.