Kleiner Perkins to invest in iPhone app Shazam

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Oct 14, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003
  2. macrumors member

Sep 14, 2008
    Awesome Program

This is one of my favorite apps installed on my iPhone! Their database of songs, IMO, is a little limited. I hope with this VC funding they would expand their database. I would like Shazam to recognized more esoteric songs rather than just songs with radio airtime.
  3. macrumors 68000

Mar 10, 2003
    I was once walking with a friend and heard loud music from across the street. We couldn't really tell whether the music was emanating from automobile speakers in a parking lot or a store.

She said it was so bad amateurs had likely recorded themselves. I said it may have been a heavy metal band. To solve the debate, I fired up Shazam and held my iPhone in the air (from across the street). It tagged the song, showed the album art and provided a link to purchase it from iTunes. Very impressive.

BTW, don't ask which band; I deleted the tag.
  4. macrumors 6502

Jun 13, 2005
    Shazam should be a feature in all search engines, or at least in Googles' voice Search on the Iphone. I installed Shazam and it didn't work with the songs I tried to tag, however, if it's as great as some of its end users claim, then I would consider using it if it was part of a more useful app.
  5. macrumors 6502

Aug 1, 2009
    Los Angeles
    You know, for me it sometimes recognizes songs I would never expect it to. I was in a Korean restaurant a few weeks ago and it found info on 3 different Korean easy listening songs.