klipsch 5.1 and powerbooks...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by tiger2007, Dec 24, 2003.

1. tiger2007 macrumors newbie

Dec 24, 2003
    I am curious whether the stereo miniplug is sufficient for the Klipsch promedia 5.1 speakers I already own. The speakers have three inputs, one for sub/center, one for front, and one for back. However, there is an additional input for an mp3 player or whatever. My question is whether that input will be enough to get all the speakers to work. I don't really care about having true 5.1 sound, although it would be nice. I haven't been able to find any third-party 5.1 soundcards for powerbooks.
  2. Versello macrumors regular

Nov 13, 2003
  3. X_Ranger macrumors newbie

Oct 27, 2003
  4. joshuwa72 macrumors member

Nov 4, 2003
    Chelsea, Michigan
    I had a similar issue with creative 5.1 and my g4.

I was told to buy an m-audio sonica external usb audio card.

thats was a big mistake.

1)the sonica is a usb device...a powermac g4 only has 2 usb ports, and my mouse and keyboard use those.

2) the sonica only has one mini jack, and one digital/optical jack. my speakers dont use optical, so I still need AT LEAST 2 line - ins.

SO now, I am just goint to hook my 5.1 to my dvd player, then buy a 2.1 for my mac.

I could buy an audio reciever - but theres no point in paying $250 to use my current speakers, when I can pay $60 and get a 2.1 system for my mac. Its not like iTunes supports 5.1 or that I would even need 5.1 on my mac anyway.

Now hopefully, I can return the sonica.....