Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

plunar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
I was looking for an affordable 5.1 digital solution for my macbook, and was leaning towards this klipsch but it seems the only 5.1 currently available is the promedia ultra - an analog system. did klipsch can this? is the logitech the only comparable system out there now?

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
The logitechs simply have the hardware converter built on the speakers; vs. the Klipsch. As far as sound quality, I would go with Klipsch over any home-consumer computer company (Creative, Logitech, etc.)

Klipsch has a current philosophy that having a digital converter built onto speakers is not optimal, so that is the case, for better or worse.

So I guess unfortunately your only options are that Logitech 5.1 setup you mentioned, or to get a firewire I/O box from m-audio or similar which could pass to a 5.1 analog input-setup. Good luck,

plunar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
damn so i'd end spending not only close to $100 more just for the speakers, but another $50 at least just for a digital converter box?

forget it. i'm getting the logitech.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.