Klipsch iFi starting to have static, crackle

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by swingerofbirch, Jun 2, 2011.

1. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

Oct 24, 2003
    The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I bought a set of speakers a long time ago (I'm not good at remembering years), but probably greater than 4 years ago, called Klipsch iFi. Neither I nor anyone in my family ever knew anything about sound. We've had small boomboxes and the most basic TVs.

I got these because they were being cleared out at Costco and I got the last box for around $150-200, which as I recall was a big discount.

They have been one of my smartest purchases ever. The sound is wondah-ful. I'm not an audiophile, but I love these.

Anyhow, one day I was playing my music a bit louder than usual on them, but not so loud I thought I would break anything, and I noticed ever since then, if I play them at a medium volume, certain sounds cause a static, crackly sound. It's quite disappointing. I play my music through an Airport Express.

I have unplugged and replugged all of the connections. This actually improved the static/crackling sound. But the crackling sound still comes in at medium volume when certain sounds are played, I think probably sounds with more bass. If I turn up the volume louder, the crackling will invariably play. Some songs don't seem to reproduce the crackling as much as others. Strangely the song which I originally think I may have played too loud was Adele's "Rolling in the Deep," which, when I play it loud, does not induce any static or crackling. I hear it more when I play quieter songs like the Glee version of "Songbird" and the piano notes sound. The song "Treefingers" by Radiohead, which is sort of a deep bass ambient sound song, induces a light constant crackling, so it seems somewhat bass related.

Are there any suggestions? Can speakers like these be repaired? Do you think it was something I did or maybe it's still a bad connection? I always assumed these speakers would work for me forever. I wouldn't even know where to find another set like them; it was wonderful, dumb luck I found them to begin with.