Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX vs. Logitech Z-2200?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by KevRC4130, Jul 29, 2004.

1. KevRC4130 macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

Of these two speaker sets, which do you think is better? They will be used with a Powerbook Rev. C. Both are 3-pc, 200 watt, 2.1, THX certified, and have a good reputation.... They're also about the same price. However, he Klipsch have 2-way satellites, wheras the Logitech only have 1. Klipsch as a company seems to have a better reputation, and are only in the speaker business, whereas Logitech does everything, and might not have the same know-how. The Logitech look a little cooler, have convienient, wall mountable stands, and seem to get slightly better reviews. It seems like both speakers are very good, but which one is best?

Thanks

2. cerfsud macrumors newbie

i don't own either, but if you have a best buy (yeah, i hate 'em too) or similar place near you, see if they have 'em on the floor and demo them (as much as you can in their noisy store environment, anyway) for yourself.

i would say go with the klipsches. i really like what logitech has been putting out lately but common sense tells me the two-ways are going to produce a more accurate sound, having two drivers do their own thing instead of one medium-sized driver doing all. that said, when i was choosing between klipsch's 5.1 system and logitech's 5.1 z-680, i chose the logitech for various reasons - one being that everyone was giving rave reviews and it came with its own surround processor and second i can't stand klipsch's disgusting marketing speak (saying their peak power is a better estimate than rms (bull****) and throwing the word "digital" around everywhere to awe the technical illiterate), and it kicks ass (and i'm sure you've gathered that the z-2200 is basically a 2.1'd z-680).

haha. i think i just contradicted myself a few times.. too much stuff swirling around in my head. so anyway, dogmas aside, i'd say go with the 2-way klipsches. or, search froogle for whichever is cheapest and go that way. i doubt you'd be disappointed with either system.

3. cerfsud macrumors newbie

4. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

if your spending near $150, buy the Logitech Z-680s. I picked mine up for $180, they are the best speaker set I've ever owned (including many higher end speaker systems, my uncle works at a place called ProMusica in Chicago, they have UBER HIGH END audio equipment, and while this isn't in the same league, it compares favorably for the price difference, i.e. $10,000-$100,000+). My uncle is impressed with their price/performance, which says a lot.

buy logitech, klipsch has a history of overpricing for underpowered product. they are currently coasting on brand-name.

5. Whigga Spitta macrumors 6502

BrianKonars--I will always remember ProMusica as the "invisible store". I was sent on a mission to pick up some speakers (probably in the $10,000 price range) for my boss, and although I started in downtown Chicago, it took me 2 1/2 hours to find the place...ughhhh.

But more on topic, I highly doubt you will be disapointed with either set of speakers. After purchasing the Klipsch's, I realized that I probably couldn't ever tell the difference between speakers at low volumes (although I must say the Klipsch system puts out very nice sound at higher volumes). If you're not looking for 'audiophile' systems (which I doubt you would be for a Powerbook) any high quality 2.1 system would fulfill your needs.

6. KevRC4130 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi guys,
    I really don't want a 5.1 system, I like the simplicity of 2 speakers, plus the Powerbook doesn't support 5.1 sound, not to mention the cheaper price. The Klipsch and Logitech's are about the same price, because they've been going on ebay for about $40, and I found a reputable website selling the logitechs for $90, plus a $50 mail in rebate, so theyre both about $40.

7. cerfsud macrumors newbie

both will blow you away i'm sure. i love my logitechs to death, and i don't like klipsch much (read: at all) as a company, but i'd say go with the klipsches - in simple terms, the 2-ways will give you a bigger and more open sound. try to find an outfit that'll let you return them if you aren't satisfied. whenever you buy 'em, let us know how they sound!

to reiterate: i know my local best buy carries the klipsches (dunno about the z-2200s as those are pretty recent), so if you've got one or a similar store near you i'd suggest checking them out there.