Klipsch Promedia GMX A2.1

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by risc, Jul 19, 2005.

1. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I just bought a set of these for my Power Mac G5 and hooked them up to the optical out using a DAC I have here, all I can say is WOW! If anyone is looking for a nice cheap set of excellent speakers grab some of these! AMAZING!

2. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

i have a klipsch cinema 6 6.1 system hooked up to an RW-10 sub and a yamaha HTR-5790 receiver for my laptop at work and it is absolutely slammin. Granted, i do work in an electronics store and so i bring my laptop to fire up iTunes and show it off... i'm really thinkin about droppin 1500 to get that system (250 for the cinema 6, 600 for the yamaha receiver, and 600 for the sub). klipsch makes the best stuff on the market, hands down.

3. risc thread starter macrumors 68030

risc

[​IMG]

They are just so damn good, here's a picture.

An intesting side note the mouse pad cost more than the desk. Might be time for a new desk?

4. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I'm a fellow Klipsch man, I've got the ProMedia 2.1 System hooked up to my Airport Express and have to say I love them. The perfect partner to iTunes!

Your setup is looking very nice but I think you're right, the table just doesn't do it justice :)

5. Kerry Sanders macrumors regular

Kerry Sanders

Cool. Does this speaker system use digital for connecting to the Mac? I got my Power Mac back in May and I am currently using something like a $30 set of speakers with it. I have looked at the Logitech Z5500's, but I am always open for suggestions.

6. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

Nice speakers. Question. Do you hear a hiss/buzz coming from them when the computer is off?

I've heard they tend to do that. That's one thing that's turning me off from them. Considering the Logitech Z-2300 instead.

7. risc thread starter macrumors 68030

risc

I don't turn my computer off, but I don't hear any noise coming from them when the pre-amp is muted or no audio is playing.

8. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Yes, there is a hiss when they're off. Mine at home do that, and the 20-something sets we ordered for computers at work do that. It's not very noticable, though...not unless you get right up next to them.

9. risc thread starter macrumors 68030

risc

Damn I didn't notice that at all, mine do it too but I have to put my ears right up to the speaker to hear any thing.

10. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I don't know if the GMX A2.1's are the same as my older ProMedia 2.1's but my only real complaint with them is that the "off" button is located at the back of the sub woofer - very annoying.

11. martinlk macrumors member

martinlk

I read somewhere that the old Promedia 2.1s are quite a bit better than the GMX ones. I think it was the Klipsch forum. I'm too lazy to check out the specs on Klipsch's site. And the old Promedias just look so much better (no offence, risc).

12. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

Yep, its true. The original Promedia 2.1's sound better than the GMX line of speakers from Klipsch.

13. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

I don't turn my computer off either, but I do put it to sleep. And since my computer is in my bedroom, that hiss can be quite annoying at night when you're trying to sleep. I had to return a set because of it.

14. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

I hope that Klipsch's quality control has improved with these new models. I had the klipsch promedia 5.1 that I bought at best buy two years ago. They sounded great but kept breaking down on me. i had to return the unit to best buy six times before I got fed up and demanded to get something else. I was able to walk out of there with the logitechs 5.1 as a replacement. Havent had a problem since.

15. risc thread starter macrumors 68030

risc

Damn you guys and your hiss :) Now that I know it's there I can't handle it and I'm returning these as faulty. I'll be swapping them for Logitech Z-2300 THX 2.1s.

I did a lot of reading and this hiss seems to effect the whole GMX range, I took all the inputs out of my GMXs preamp and the hiss is still there, this rings design fault to me, and Klipschs excuses about high gain don't wash with me.

Once again damn you guys for pointing it out. :)

16. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

Sorry. :p

17. risc thread starter macrumors 68030

risc

None taken, I wanted the plain old Promedias but I couldn't find them anywhere in Australia at all. If I had of known about the hiss from the GMXs before I bought them I wouldn't of consider them at all, I purchased them based on a friend in the USs experience with his Promedias.

18. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

Does it make the hissing noise even when the volume controls are reduced to the minimum?

19. risc thread starter macrumors 68030

risc

I've actually decided to keep my GMXs they just sound too good, and I can't hear the hiss at all when I'm using them. To hear it you need to put your ear right up to the satellite and even then you can hardly hear it. According to Klipsch it has to do with the amount of gain. From what I've read it was actually really really bad in early revisions, people talking about being able to hear it from 10 feet away, I can't hear it from 1 inch away - and I can only hear it with no audio playing at all, as soon as I apply any audio at any volume I can't hear it at all. It's noise from the preamp imo since I hear it with or without any audio source, or it could be electrical noise from the subby? The weird thing is the hiss is really quiet kind of like a staticy noise that I can hardly hear anyway (with my ear on the satellite), and if I increase the volume (with no audio playing) as high as it can go the static just stays at the same volume, so life goes on... being completely honest if it wasn't pointed out to me I wouldn't of ever picked it up.

20. risc thread starter macrumors 68030

risc

Oh well after all the drama above I went out and purchased some Logitech Z-2300s today. :-/

21. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

How do you like the z-2300's so far? Been thinking of getting them.

22. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Well I don't think the hiss is anything to worry about; they all do it. I wouldn't return them over it...they are GREAT sounding speakers. Everybody I show these to is always impressed at how good they sound and how loud they get despite their small size.

23. risc thread starter macrumors 68030

risc

Well I've got both sets here now and the GMXs are much nicer speakers, I'll be keeping them and my GF can have the 2300s for her iMac G5. Like MattG mentions above they all hiss, well the 2300s do at least, it all comes down to sound quality and the GMXs are a level above, I just wish we had the Promedia THXs here.

Oh well it's been a good week at work so my GF can finally stop using her inbuilt speakers with iTunes but given the choice between the GMXs and the 2300s I've decided on the GMXs. DAMN THEY SOUND GOOD!