Klipsch RF-52 *now with pics (in a link)*

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Victor ch, Apr 6, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Hi,

After several months pursuing to buy a decent stereo system I checked some audio brands available here in Costa Rica. I looked at Bose and almost bought the 301's (thank god I didn't) and now Im looking at Polkaudio, KEF and Klipsch. I fell in love with KEF and Klipsch and decided that Klipsch suited me better (music taste and budget, 610$ the pair) Their Reference 52 floorstanding speakers are awesome and Im actually buying them today. BTW I have a NAD C315BEE (40w per channel) amp to go with my future speakers. Thanks to all who posted!

Edit: Getting Klipsch in t-minus 3 hours :cool:
    Victor

2. macrumors member

Sorry I haven't hear much on polkaudio. I have a pair of KEF reference 102s and they are beauties. You need the Kube 102 to go with. Very good value for money second hand. You could also ask over at head-fi.org or avforums.com.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Thanks man, but I kinda get confused in those forums, MR is more orderly.

Also I forgot to mention, I don't want to buy a subwoofer, don't quite have the cash and my amp has no subwoofer output so... Also there is no much room in my bedroom for a subwoofer and I would like a 2 piece only system.

Victor

4. macrumors 601

zimv20

I've got some Polk floor speakers hooked up to my stereo. Have had them for years and they're fine for casual listening. That's one of the systems I use to check my mixes.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Hmm interesting, what do you mean by casual listening?

Victor

6. macrumors 65816

benlee

I have some small Polk Audio speakers hooked up to my receiver for music and they sound great. I bought some outdoor Polk speakers for my girlfriend's father and they too have amazing sound.

I have definitely noticed that Polk speakers work better with highs than Bose, but Bose speakers handle lows better.

7. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Thanks for the input. Thats what Im worried... that I would need a sub since I listen to bass heavy music. I want to avoid the Bose at all costs, but if there is no other option... I'll go check the Polk ones either later today or during this week, I certainly don't want to buy a sub nor Bose.

Victor

8. macrumors member

A wise choice, neither bose or a cheap sub are going to help you much for monitoring! Have you considered phones? Very good for mono mixing and vital for tracking!

9. macrumors 601

zimv20

as opposed to critical listening. i wouldn't mix on the polks, but i can check mixes on them as part of a consumer setup.

they're somewhat flattering; dunno if that's what you're looking for in your system. i like my stereo to make things sound good, and the polks work well in that role.

10. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Thanks for the input. I don't mix (well like once or twice but I use headphones and software so...)

Im looking for a hi-fi system. My NAD amp should arrive within this week and its hi-fi labeled. I would watch movies, listen to my awesome electronic music cds (compilations) and play some PS3 games. I've "moded" my room so its "acoustically friendly" and I would just like a nice pair of loud speakers for my music/movies. I won't go Bose nor can I afford B&W... KEF isn't available here (not the consumer ones at least) So Polk is the safest bet.

Victor

11. macrumors 65816

benlee

I would suggest going and giving them a listen at the store.

I don't listen to very heavy bass music so I can't comment on that but I can comment on the high quality of Polk Audio.

IMO Bose are not all they are cracked up to be, they are good for bass though.

12. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Yup, I would definitely go and listen to them before buying. I'll take some electronic CD's to test the speakers as well as other kind of music CD's. Bose is a tad overrated, they aren't crap as many self-proclaimed audiophiles say, but they aren't exactly the best sounding speakers for their price tag. Thanks again for the input.

Victor

13. macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Bose is good for midrange to lower midrange. The highs aren't that good and the sub frequencies are pretty weak, if there at all, in my opinion.

I've only heard Polk Momo's in a car setting where they performed very well. I'd imagine their floor or bookshelf speakers are equally good.

I'd also suggest you go and listen to them if you can. Everyone hears differently and you may like something else better.

14. macrumors 601

zimv20

The problem with listening in a store is that their room is different from yours. Whatever you take home will sound different.

15. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Thanks for the input man. I would go one day this week to test them and next weekend I'll go buy them (if I like them that is). I will ask the guy at the store to test all the sub $500 speakers available and see what happens.

Victor

16. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Im aware of that, but my room is quite "acoustically friendly". I followed Kyllp's advice and hung a thick rug on the back wall so that it would make the room "sound" better. Here's a quick sketch of the part of my room where my system would be; the yellow thing is where the rug is, the green things are where I would place the speakers and the measurements are just quick guesses, I have no idea how much they really are, but the room isn't that small. Thanks again for all the input.
    Victor

Attached Files:

17. macrumors 601

zimv20

that rug will kill some of your mid and high frequencies, but do nothing to tame the bass frequencies. it's those lower freqs which tend to be more problematic in smaller rooms.

i recommend throwing some cheap basstraps in there (i get mine from realtraps.com and gikacoustics.com) and then spot-treating higher freqs as needed. if you do that, i suspect you won't end up using that rug.

18. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

The rug did remove the eco it had. If I went to one corner and snapped my fingers the sound will come from everywhere and wasn't 'pleasant' now if I do the same thing the sound won't 'bounce' as much; mission accomplished.

Hey and thanks for all the input... But Im gonna go KEF after all. Their iQ series are just plain awesome and the price isn't shabby at all. Thanks again for the input. At first the only KEF I saw at the store was the utterly expensive (and awesome) XQ series (all are $1K+) but apparently they do have the iQ series.

Victor

19. macrumors member

IMO you'd be better off with something second hand from the reference series.

20. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Hmm I'll ask if the store has second hand ones, if not I won't search my whole country for them (and I highly doubt I'll find them since Costa Ricans give a **** about sound quality; they're happy with their iPod headphones and 10$ computer speakers). Thanks for the input though.

Victor

21. macrumors member

Ah fair enough then. Over here in England there are loads floating around on ebay for about the £150 mark.

22. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Lucky you... seriously. You can get Rotel, B&W, KEF easily. I can get genious 14.99$ speakers :D:D And there are few high-end audio stores here, not more than 5 really.

Victor

23. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

KEF... no one??? :confused:

Victor

24. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Final verdict.

Well, after testing KEF and Klipsch I decided to go Klipsch... KEF is more high-end than Klipsch but Klipsch went better with my musical tastes and wallet :p Their iQ5's and 7 were awesome but less "bassy" than the Klipsch. Im not going to get their consumer lineup, I can get one of their Reference Series for less money; I get dual Cerametallic (special material developed by Klipsch) woofers and a much better tweeter than in their synergy line and very sensitive speakers (96dB). I tested both brands and both are awesome, but due mainly to my music tastes Im going Klipsch, that is unless my dad decides to buy me the iQ9's that are bassy enough but at $1.4K; highly doubt it.. Anyway thanks for all the input.

Victor

25. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Getting the Klipschs today!

Well, after I went Klipsch and Im getting their Reference 52's floorstanders in a couple of hours :D:D After I get them and hopefully get the amp too (should've arrived this weekend) I will write a 'review' and anyone with doubts please don't hesitate to ask :).

Victor