Klipsch speakers + iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by somelazyguy, Aug 1, 2005.

1. somelazyguy macrumors newbie

Aug 1, 2005
    I've been visiting this forum since a yr and finally decided to switch. I recently purchased a 20" iMac and it is absolutely gorgeous!... the screen is just unbelievable. However the on board speakers are not that great. So I researched into some 5.1 spkrs and I'm down to two choices. Logitech Z5500 or Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1. I listened to both and the klipsch sounds more crisp and clean while the logitech sounds a bit boomy. So here's my problem...

Logitech sound control center/console IS the decoder. I bought the TOSLink -> Optical cable so that it can go right from iMac output to logitech decoder and I have my 5.1 sound. But how do I make the klipsch work with imac? Klipsch only has three analog inputs (front l/r, rear l/r, sub). Going to the apple genius bar wasn't of any help...

I've seen buncha posts where ppl brag on how Klipsch is best and everyone should get it... but how the heck do they make it work with the iMac?

P.S. kinda leaning towards logitech cuz its just so frustrating to find a solution to klipsch...
  2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada

Your answer is that the Klipsch do not have a digital input and do not decode DTS or Dolby surround. You literally have to give it 6 analog signals.

The Logitech Digital control centers include the surround decoder and can take the digital input.

In order to use the Klipsch in 5.1 you'll have to buy a M-Audio Sonica Theater or other USB surround-processing sound card with 5.1 analog outs.

3. somelazyguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 1, 2005
    what if I don't want to get an external sound card? I just want to use the one that the iMac has.
    I want to use the optical out.
  4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Then get the Logitechs. It's not an option on the Klipsch. Or you can use the analog outs on the Klipsch and get 2 channel stereo.

The Klipsch ProMedia GMX 5.1 has digital input and a decoder
  5. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

Feb 22, 2005
    you can't use the optical digital out on the iMac to the Klipsch speakers. However, you could just get a 4.1 system from Klipsch instead which sounds fantastic also (I have two of them). Since my own computer only has one audio out plug just like the iMac you can get a stereo splitter from radio shack or wherever else for $5 or less and still have 4 channels of audio.

If you wondering how, plug in the stereo splitter cable to the iMac, then plug in the two stereo cables into the stereo splitter from the Klipsch system, and you good to go. It may only be stereo sound, but it still sounds very seperated and almost like surround sound on movies.

So my advice, just go with the Klipsch 4.1, if you don't like that idea, then stick with the Logitech.

6. honeytoast macrumors regular

Sep 15, 2004
    bay area, CA
    get the Klipsch DD-5.1

another option would be the Klipsch DD-5.1 Dolby Digital Decoder. they are discontinued but you can find them on ebay.

check out the manual for more info. this option also adds extra inputs so you could use your speakers for a lot more than just your computer.
  7. somelazyguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 1, 2005
    yes!!! thats exactly wut i need... a decoder. I'm not sure about ebay tho... do they sell any of those decoders at stores like fry's or best buy or something?
  8. gsochor macrumors newbie

Aug 27, 2008