Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

U2Rules!

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Minnesota
I'm looking for some speakers to use with my iPod at work. I've narrowed it down to the Klipsch Multimedia 2.1, JBL Creature speakers, and the Bose Mediamates. Do any of you have any input on the correct choice to make? Your reviews are appreciated.

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
I'm sure most people would go with the white creature 2s becuase they match their iPod. To break it down:

Creatures: most stylish, good sound quality, most often chosen

Bose Mediamates: AWESOME sound quality, not as much bass as others

Klipsch Multimedia: Loud, boomy, good sound quality

Does that help?

:)

budaapple

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2004
Ill.
Bose media mates

I have these speakers and have for 12 years. They are the most naturally sounding speakers in a small package I have heard. And like I said they are 12 years old and still sound great. Can you say that about the others?
Good Luck!

ExoticFish

macrumors 6502a
i have the Klipsch and they sounds great. i've never turned them up anywhere near how load they go because they can get way too loud, so you won't have to worry about blowing them. when i heard the original creatures i wasn't impressed at all. they suffered from the same problem as the sound sticks... no middle. they have a tweeter and a sub, but no mid-range woofer. the Klipsch have come down a little since i bought them but when i paid $180 it was well worth it.

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
I was all about Bose speakers for a long time, I thought they sounded awesome. As it turns out, Bose makes some of the worst speakers available when it comes to the sound quality you get for the money you pay. Most of what you pay for when you buy a set of Bose speakers is the name, not the quality of the drivers contained therein. Of those three Klipsch wins by a large margin, easily, hands down, no questions asked.

Bluefusion

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2003
New York, NY
KLIPSCH ALL THE WAY!

I was VERY impressed with these babies, have been for years and years. There's still very few sets that surpass them, though the original Klipsch Promedias (which were THX certified, while the GMXs are not) were better. You will not be disappointed, and that's a PROMISE.

I've never been a fan of Bose, as their stuff is always overpriced for the sound quality you get (though they do make the best stuff out there on the high end, that level of quality is also far more expensive than "almost equivalent" systems). Just not my thing, really... but I'm impressed by their abilities in the end.

As for the Creatures... yuck. They sound TERRIBLE--anyone who thinks otherwise must have bought the Soundsticks because they looked pretty. Utterly lacking entire frequencies, the Creatures are the speaker equivalent of the Apple Pro Mouse--sure it gets the job done, but imagine what you're missing! I also find them ugly, though in a sort of cute way, so I understand the appeal. Likewise, the Soundsticks are beautiful, but for $200 I can do quite a bit better, thank you...

My vote is with Klipsch. I was about to buy them, however, when I stumbled upon my favorite secret weapon: Altec Lansing. Consistently proving that incredible sound can hide in inexpensive and downright sexy enclosures, I've been a fan since the Altec ATP3s and found my new speakers in the stunning piano-black MX-5021s. They look vastly better than the Klipsch (in my opinion) and sound as good, if not better. They also have fabulous wired and wireless remotes, much better designed than Klipsch's, and are so distortion-free it's almost unbelievable. I paid $135 for them, and the only set even coming close is the Klipsch at $150.

If it has to be one of these three, the Klipsch beats the other two by so much it's actually pathetic. Add the 5021s to the equation, and you at least have a real decision to make :)

Hope this helps...

tekno_geek911

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
Bluefusion said:
As for the Creatures... yuck. They sound TERRIBLE--anyone who thinks otherwise must have bought the Soundsticks because they looked pretty. Utterly lacking entire frequencies, the Creatures are the speaker equivalent of the Apple Pro Mouse--sure it gets the job done, but imagine what you're missing! I also find them ugly, though in a sort of cute way, so I understand the appeal. Likewise, the Soundsticks are beautiful, but for $200 I can do quite a bit better, thank you...

I tested a few sets of speakers that sound good and match my PowerBook setup,the Creatures dont sound bad at all imo....I only paid $50 for them anyways:D

Bluefusion

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2003
New York, NY
That's exactly the price you should pay... for $50 they're quite good. For $100, they're not.

And I'd still recommend Altec Lansing's ATP3s at $50 over the Creatures, and no i'm not an Altec plant.. just a fan ;)

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
BOSE, BOSE, BOSE, BOSE! if anything having to do with music is made by Bose I would buy it and have bought alot of it. Its the most amazing sound ever created. The Best examle would be the Bose Acoustic wave radio. Its all expensive, but never has the phrase "you get what you pay for come into play more than now" GO BOSE BRO!!!!!

Whigga Spitta

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2004
Can you say Chi-City??
The Klipsch Promedia 2.1's (which I currently own and love) have the fullest sound quality of the three you mentioned. Overall, I would say the Klipsch's sound *BEST*, but I have to admit, I haven't thoroughly examined the Bose's. I have always been a fan of Bose products, but I though for the money, the Promedias were the way to go (for $150 at Circuit City).

tekno_geek911

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
Bluefusion said:
That's exactly the price you should pay... for $50 they're quite good. For $100, they're not.

And I'd still recommend Altec Lansing's ATP3s at $50 over the Creatures, and no i'm not an Altec plant.. just a fan ;)

I dont think I would pay $100 for any 2.1 speakers....Im sure I'll be happy with the Creatures.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
While I'm all about Bose on the high end, I wouldn't think of them on the low end at all.

You should buy the Klipsch set but if you have the option, but the 5.1 kit, not the 2.1.

Soire

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2004
Garden State
This is like deja vu.

I get the feeling that there are certain topics on these boards which should be set in stone. They are:

-Speakers
-RAM
-Mice

I have asked all the same questions, and researched them all. The best thing for you to do if you want to make a decision is to go to Best Buy, and you can hear the Klipsch and Bose speakers side by side. the cratures only have looks going for them.

So to make a long story short: ... Klipsch. 'nuff said.

The 2.1 ProMedia is the best 2.1 speakers you can hook up to a computer. And it's $100 cheaper than the Bose. The Altec Lansing is good and real cheap. Creatures are ok, but looks are the selling point. Bose is just a name, and decent quality. Klipsch is the unsung hero.

Their speakers will blow your socks off. Just ask a Best Buy employee. I talked with one of 'em about a home Theater system, and LOTR was playing. He came over to me and I just nodded at the speakers, and said "Klipsch?" He said yea, they're the best in the store.

kuyu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Louisville
Klipsch, all the way. I've got a set, and they are AWESOME. They sound better than my $500+ Sony surround sound system. No joke.

I've used mine as monitors for mastering audio, and they work great in this app. Although, the sub is VERY loud, and can often handle frequencies that would blow car speakers.

For movies, especially THX certified films, these speakers have to be heard to be belived.

The sound is comparable to my dad's Expensive Sony SAVA-9000 setup, but it's 1/10th the price.

Get these, you won't regret it. :)

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
Bose are some of the worst speakers out there. I cannot comment on the waveradio, but their acustimass speakers and other similar speakers are very poorly built, using inferior speaker parts that bose then offers to consumers at a marked up price. You will be much happier with a pair of klipsch or almost any other brand speaker. I will not detail the reasons that bose produces inferior speakers, but a good explanation can be found at http://home.earthlink.net/~busenitz/bs.html. This explanation is fairly thorough and actually explains the faults rather than just saying that bose speakers are not as great as many believe they are.

If you ask any audio professional(that doesn't work for bose) or audiophile, they will almost certainly tell you that compared to other speakers bose speakers are very lacking in many respects. I recently put together a HT system for a friend using Definitive technology floorstanding speakers and surrounds that costs around the same amount as bose's acustimass surround system in a box.

HardHatMac9

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2004
If you're using them at work, then you'll want something small, that puts out good sound, and is attractive to look at. The Creature speakers are all three. I have a set and they're great. When you come home, plug into your stereo system and you can have big sound. You probably won't need big sound (Klipsch) at work.

U2Rules!

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Minnesota
Thanks for all the suggestions and input. I'm going to best buy tomorrow to listen and buy. Right now I'm leaning towards the Klipsch, then Bose, I really don't like the look of the Creature II's but I've only seen pictures?

AssassinOfGates

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
A cardboard box.
U2Rules! said:
Thanks for all the suggestions and input. I'm going to best buy tomorrow to listen and buy. Right now I'm leaning towards the Klipsch, then Bose, I really don't like the look of the Creature II's but I've only seen pictures?

The Creature IIs are ugly indeed. I hate the new gray look as opposed to my set of metallic ones. Assuming you had a good color, let me put it this way. Most of the time (at least with my setup) you only see the satellites. They look cool from the front, especially with the lights out since they have the green LEDs. The sub is the only thing lacking otherwise. It just has too much space w/o detail. Solution: Slap a white apple sticker that came with your computer on it. Looks great now. Im no audiophile, but to me they sound pretty good.

Inspector Lee

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
East Lansing, MI
otoloui said:
If you're using them at work, then you'll want something small, that puts out good sound, and is attractive to look at. The Creature speakers are all three. I have a set and they're great. When you come home, plug into your stereo system and you can have big sound. You probably won't need big sound (Klipsch) at work.

My only beef about the Creatures is the cords and the power brick. They are out of control. I have a Bose Wave sans CD player which I am satisified with but their color white is not iPod white, more of a guano white. This irks me too.

On a side note, can anybody comment on Tivoli products? They actually changed a product name from "PAL" to "iPAL" within the last 6 months or so and are marketing it to be used in conjunction with the iPod. I always thought their products were sleek and minimalist but haven't tried them out.

Tivoli iPAL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.