Knee replacement surgery

Discussion in 'Community' started by ToddW, Aug 2, 2005.

1. ToddW macrumors 6502a

Feb 26, 2004
    Well, for the past several weeks I have been have a shooting pain in my left leg from my knee down. Went to my Doc today and he is setting me up with an MRI. Turns out that my knee can move in a lot of directions that it shouldn't. I guess all that football/soccer/karate injuries have finally caught up with me.

I haven't had an MRI before and have really never had a bad break or joints go out on me. Was wondering if anyone around here has had any surgeries like that and can give me some information on the recovery time. By the way my doctor sounded surgery is a forgone conclusion.
  2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    sorry to hear about your problems, my father has had many many issues with his knees, and has undergone surgery, not knee replacement, but to repair and help his patella and ligaments if i recall correctly, he was back to his normal self within three to four weeks i believe, and i wish you the best of luck
  3. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    Good luck - a whole replacement would have you out for a couple of months on crutches...if it is an microsurgery, it should be much less than that...
  4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    That sucks. :(

If possible, don't get a replacement but rather an arthroscopy (spelling?) whereby they use pinhole surgery to clean out the innards of your knee (remove corrugations) and maybe loosen some of the tendons to prevent dislocation. I had this done to both knees after about five years of constant dislocations and it helped but there was about a twelve month recovery time (period before I could sprint competitively again).

Nevertheless, it's a better option because knee replacements don't last meaning the lucky surgeon will get to perform another one in about five to ten years, to the detriment of your wallet and your health.

Do you know what exactly is wrong with your knees?
  5. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Sorry to hear about your problems.
    One of my fellow co-worker's husband just had this type of surgery done last friday.
  6. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I wish you all the best ToddW. It would seem prudent to see what the MRI shows. Often a good surgeon can tell by inspection of the knee. Good physical therapy will get you moving sooner. Just listen to what your surgeon has to say.
  7. ToddW thread starter macrumors 6502a

Feb 26, 2004
    Well lately the knee is just trying to pop out of socket it seems. My doc is a pretty good one. He seems to think that I have a partially torn ACL, but will wait for the MRI and meet with the ortho surgeon and see. I will keep everyone in formed. I called a buddy of mine who blew his knee out and had it scoped and was up and going within a week or so, with limited mobility, but was able to walk and get around okay, with limited use of crutches. He said the rehab is good.

My left knee given me a bit a trouble off and on since high school. Took a good slide tackle at the state soccer finals that made it swell pretty bad by the end of the game. I was going good and strong a few weeks after that. My senior year in football, I tackled a running back and torqued it a little bit, but it still wasn't all that bad. In a karate tournament, I took a blow to that same knee that hurt pretty bad, which let me spend lots of time in my girlfriends hot tub :D

Then about a week ago the wife and I were horseplaying and instead of kicking me in the but she hit my left knee and as I was making my way to the sofa, tripped over the dog and turned my knee the other way. Lately it has hurt quite a bit to where if I have to shift my weight unexpectedly it hurts.

Now the dang knee hurts and shoots pain down the whole leg.
  8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Todd, best wishes for a quick recovery regardless of the direction of treatment. I think I am now paying the price of stupid moves on the dance floor in my youth.
  9. leekohler macrumors G5

Dec 22, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I have arthritis in both knees and surgery is inevitable for me too. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!
  10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    I sprained my ACL last year. It's a partial tear which according to my physical therapist won't heal and surgery isn't appropriate, so I just have to live with it. Now nearly a year later I am still working on getting back full range of motion in the knee and it's sometimes stiff and achy. Improvement is slow but it is happening. Yoga has helped me the most.

What I learned:

Replacement of the ACL is generally only done for complete tears. They usually take a ligament from somewhere else in your body. Recovery times are 6-9 months of physical therapy. It's not "knee replacement" but it's not fun either.

I was also told by the physical therapist that MRIs are not very good diagnostic tools for knee injuries. He could tell as much with his hands. To learn more about the exact nature of the injury requires a scalpel.

If you can work through this with physical therapy instead of surgery, I'd recommend that route. It will be far less disruptive to your life now and the fact is orthopedic surgery is improving all the time and quite possibly by the time you really need surgical repair to the knee (if ever), the techniques will probably be better than they are today. This is my hope anyway.

Best of luck to you. Knees are something we usually don't appreciate until we injure them. Then you find out how important they are.
  11. MacNut macrumors Core

Jan 4, 2002
    My mom had double knee replacement over the winter, was in the hospital for 3 days and rehab for another week, She was up and around right after the surgery and driving 7 weeks after. They say total heeling can last 6 months to a year tho so it is mostly a case by case basis.