Knockout Game a Hate Crime

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Dec 27, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Perhaps in this case, the recorded material on his cell phone was enough to sway authorities to seek the hate crime charge. But I thought it was an interesting turn of events, that a crime popularly associated with African-Americans would be charged as a hate crime when allegedly perpetrated by a white man on a black.

I'm not trying to say that this charge is unfair or unevenly handed out. I don't know the specifics of this or other attacks. But this case could set a precedent, and it may increase the demand for other knockout attacks to be treated as hate crimes, especially there's a racial component involved.

2. macrumors 68020

miloblithe

3. macrumors 603

Technarchy

4. thread starter macrumors 65816

citizenzen

No, I'm not sure about that.

That's why I used the words, "popularly associated".

Popular associations are often not true.

5. macrumors 68020

miloblithe

????

Am I supposed to glean something relevant to this conversation from the top 10 best dunks of 2013?

Edit: Oh, no, I get it now. It was the Twerking Merry Christmas video. Thank you, and a Merry Twerking Christmas to you and your family.

6. macrumors G3

Renzatic

From the article...

We have evidence that both black people and white people are playing the game, provided, of course, that it is actually a game, and not isolated incidents being blown out of proportion to get people to tune into the news in order to find if they...could be next.

One thing we know for a fact is that idiocy doesn't know any racial or haplotypic boundaries, so really, anyone could do it.

7. thread starter macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Totally agree.

Agreed as well.

I'm just reluctant to bring the hate crime element into it, because that will now bring more pressure to apply it in other cases. I can see where it's just going to ratchet up tensions.

8. macrumors 603

Technarchy

He had to "work up" the courage to hurt a 79-year-old black man. Guess he didn't work very long.

The saddest thing about this knockout game is the number of women and elderly being hurt. You have to be a real piece of garbage to go down this road.

9. Renzatic, Dec 27, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013

macrumors G3

Renzatic

I agree with you there. Summary judgements for specific types of crimes are never a good idea in my opinion, because it has the potential to punish someone for something they didn't necessarily do, even if they are ultimately guilty of a criminal act. Everything should be taken on a case by case basis.

But in this guy's case, I'd say it's pretty apt when you consider the evidence. He stated on record that he wanted to punch a black guy because he was black, and threw out a few racial slurs for added flavor. If it were an otherwise random attack, without any supporting evidence, I'd be a little uncomfortable calling it a hate crime too. But here, the shoe fits, so they're making him wear it.

No doubt about that. Regardless of race, sex, or creed, it's just a low thing to do.

10. macrumors regular

jkcerda

play stupid games/win stupid prizes, the punk took on a 79 Y/O dude. hope they fry him.

11. macrumors 68040

http://news.yahoo.com/39-knockout-game-39-attack-leads-hate-crime-012237553.html

12. macrumors demi-god

lostngone

It is only a hate crime if a white person is the aggressor.

If you disagree you are a racist!

13. macrumors 68040