Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Realnanners

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2014
Louisville,KY
I have a white early 2008 MacBook with 2.4GHz Intel core 2 duo, with 2GB of RAM and of course the slow Intel GMA X3100. I am going on a trip and can't bring my win gaming computer, so I was wondering what are some good games for an older Intel Mac ? THANKS!

acastic

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Nothing in recent memory will run on the x3100 most likely. What version of Mac OS X are you running on that guy?

Reactions: Realnanners

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Any find-the-object game should run adequately if you like that kind of game. You can reference theses old MR guides:

http://guides.macrumors.com/MacRumors_Mac_Gaming_Links

Even though this is a Windows gaming page here at MRs, this Guide has some games listed for the x3100 chipset. Most are Windows games, but Penumbra: Overture (Mac version) ran well on it as I recall. However I don't remember if my wife played this on MacOS or via Bootcamp/windows, which offers better performance. Find it on Steam, note the Mac system req and the warning it might not run on integrated graphics. It ran for us, but, asI said, don't remember if we ran this on the MacOS or Windows. :oops:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Windows_Gaming_on_a_Mac_FAQ

You might also consider FTL, a casual RTS game, but this also can be found on iOS. Check the Mac req at the link. Can't vouch for how well this will play on your hardware, but maybe someone has tried it and will report.

Last edited:

acastic

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
I'm running Mac OS X lion. (10.7.5) Thanks!

Age of Empires II should run just fine. Maybe Halo as well. Trying to think back to the days when I had one of those MacBooks as well. Warcraft III would be another one, but in order to play it, you'd have to be running Mac OS 10.6 to install it. You could then upgrade to 10.7 but it won't install on 107 or later.

Neverwinter Nights would be another good one to try.

ebay is the best place to find boxed copies of the older games.

Yaboze

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2007
The Garden State
I remember when I tried a few games on mine back in the day that Halo, Diablo 2 (not 3), Starcraft (not II), Warcraft 3 all ran very well. Quake 3 did as well. Of course, all of those games are from around 2000.

Also, simpler games, like Angry Birds from the Mac store ran nicely as well. I also used to play Cave Story a lot, another good one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.