Knowing about future technologies and having to wait for them to come out

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mr. Anderson, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I was just pondering this little tidbit and wondering if ever in the course of human history has there really been anything like it? I don't think so, really. I can't imagine someone sitting around in the pub in 1500s wondering when the new G5 abacus was going to make its way in from the orient. Or a Knight wondering how much better it would be if someone would just invent a gun, etc.

Today, because we have a greater understanding of technology, we know that something better is going to be available at almost any moment, and in some cases we know that in a decade, our lives will be better (given that no stupidity, war, plague, etc. comes along in the mean time).

I can't imagine that we'd ever get tired of trying to make things better, faster, cheaper.

D

2. big macrumors 65816

big

SURE! people have always thought like that, ie "when will all the people of the world believe in Jesus? OH- let's have an inqusition!"

that's part of being a human animal. That's why we have evolved and all continued to push our selves, and asking "ok- that's good, but what's next?"

3. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

ha, that's a good one - but I'm not sure its exactly the same. Its more philosophical than technological, even if it does borrow some of the same ideals. In general, most people today can say what they expect to see tomorrow (near future) - faster computers, more wireless communications, safer, more fuel efficient cars, better tvs, space tourism, etc. Even during the Renaissance I don't think the intellectuals at the time thought like this. Leonardo DaVinci was a visionary - but do you think he saw a day when helicopters would fly?

D :D

4. big macrumors 65816

big

ok, point taken, but we can not envision how life will be like in 3000 AD (if we are still here) what if a comet hits earth in 2150...or we make "contact"

we can only forsee as far as a limited amount of time ahead, based on what we know now. I don't see that ever changing.

5. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

We won't die from some comet hitting the earth. We are going to
    die because technology is going to get too powerful, and a psycho
    will blow up the universe with a bomb created with very powerful
    technology. Or something along those lines.

As for technologies.

All I have to say on this topic is that I wish we didn't know about
    future technologies because it is mega-annoying to have to wait
    for the IBM powermac to come out, and for things like that...

6. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

We already have to technology to distroy the earth...many many times over.... and there are pelnty of psychos out there willing to push the button.

Comets hitting the earth? Very likely... infact statisticly speeking.. we are due for a hit. The earth has many many scares from comets and other things hitting it. But hey... why worrie about it... if one does hit us... we are all going to die... noting you or I can do about it. With my luck ... I ll get hit in the head by a frozen Blue Poo cube from an airpane the day before its annouced that the world is going to end at the hands of an astroied... then Ill miss the end of the world party :(

7. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

that is true, but I don't think it will be a comet... I think humans
    are a lot more dangerous then astroids are. But there is no use
    to dwelling on the subject.

8. big macrumors 65816

big

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The baby boomers are not a patient generation. Expect immediate self gratification, its sad. I'll admit I fight with it all the time. Mine is waiting for the G5 PPC 970 DP with DDR RAM. The only thing that helps is that the older I get the faster time seems to pass!

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Luckily if a big enough comet does come close enough to destroying us, some geek (gotta love us geeks) with a telescope will probably see it coming in time for us to stop it. Or so we hope, according to all those crappy movies.

As for "what comes next", some of us need all the power and speed we can get. And hate Windows. I myself am looking forward to the day when renders are instantaneous. Some of us want Macs that blow PCs away on all levels. Some of us are perfectly happy with what we've got for now, but still want to see what's coming in the future (cheaper, faster, better).

Some of us just think technology is neat.

And some of us have no lives.

11. King Cobra macrumors 603

I think you have better chances of winning a $10 million lottery, rather than this planet getting hit by some comet.

Remember back to when some asteroid was supposed to hit Earth in 2028? The following year, "technology" provided more accurate information, saying the asteroid was going to miss Earth by a margin. Yet how do we know some other asteroid isn't going to bounce it off course? Or some other disturbance?

My point here is threats can also be assumed accurate. Even people (these "psychos" previously discussed) are willing to disturbed the nation in some way or another.

For a few weeks now I have been deeper in thought, that with all these advancements in technology, that some people here are selfish and are looking for the most modern techniques for technological advances, so a person can have the fastest computer, the lightest plasma screen, the fastest CD-ROM, the most functional waterproof keyboard, etc., much like dukestreet and solvs previously discussed. And with such ignorance comes destruction. When one works to develop something for his own needs, or what he feels will be the future of technology, he forgets about the simple and necessary technology, such as a working microwave, a working BBQ, a car, a computer, pencil and paper, a bed, etc. Sure, some things we can acquire using more usefull tech, such as a gaming system, an mp3 player, something to make a large portion of people happy, but not everyone. But man's stupidity may soon get in the way of simple common sense, rendering only ridiculous technologies to look and sound cool, but are a waste and not necessary.

From there, I'm not too sure how, but either man may create a tactical nuclear bulls**t war about who is growing the biggest one, or who is shoving the most crap up his ash, or the trend of the selfish men developing this worthless technology will implement some shortage of usefull technology, and would lead to the end of all natural and beneficial resources, thus, death. I'm more inclined to support my first theory, as emphasis on one man's deluded emotions from "let's see if I can make this..." to "Yes! This is perfect! Now I need to market this and I'm a millionaire!" also emphasizes how one's feeling of power and money collages over the mature and appropriate feeling the "wise man" possess. My second theory targets a less likely war among the "wise men" and the rich, rather than the rich vs. the rich, and I know of very few "wise men" willing to push any big red glowing buttons. :)

If such a thing were to happen, just make sure you don't die slowly. :eek:

12. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

But that's not the case, sure computing and scientific technology grow at a faster rate than say appliance engineering. But there are still advancements there too. Todays modern kitchen is quite amazing to one 10 or 20 years ago. With bluetooth added into the mix, 'smart' appliances will start to proliferate. I'm just not as excited or looking forward to it as much.

And not many people are going to get overly excited about a 'smart' toaster that can better determine if you toast is just the way you like it, they'll end up getting one eventually though.

The computer industry sees the greatest need for more improvement, one of the reasons there is so much R&D and change going on. A toaster is just that a toaster, whether it can talk to the fridge or microwave or not.

D

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

14. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'm sometimes amazed at your oneliners that don't seem to have any relevance to the thread. :rolleyes:

What are you talking about here? Link or quote for these responses please or at least spend the time to explain yourself a little better.

Thank you,

D

15. King Cobra macrumors 603

>(duke) But that's not the case, sure computing and scientific technology grow at a faster rate than say appliance engineering. But there are still advancements there too. Todays modern kitchen is quite amazing to one 10 or 20 years ago. With bluetooth added into the mix, 'smart' appliances will start to proliferate.

That's what I am trying to point out. I'm sure we'll all seen this commercial crap on TV with some bulls**t product to make your lives easier...dent removers, scratch removers, this for $19.95, this for free along with it, that for free as well, etc. Several years ago, maybe not 10 or 20, such commercial crap may not have been as commonly advertised or emphasized. Nowadays, you have all these promos for equipment you're better off selling rather than having it break or malfunction on you. :rolleyes:

>I'm just not as excited or looking forward to it as much.

:D "Now you can get a brand new electric toaster, to determine by voice activation, how much you want it cooked and how fast you want it cooked, plus two free replacement voice adapters, all for only..."

>And not many people are going to get overly excited about a 'smart' toaster that can better determine if you toast is just the way you like it, they'll end up getting one eventually though.

Some people are willing to spend the extra cash and are willing to risk purchasing such equipment that may break easily, I agree. But my point is all this money spent in developing all this new technology, some of it worthless, may become overkill.

>The computer industry sees the greatest need for more improvement, one of the reasons there is so much R&D and change going on. A toaster is just that a toaster, whether it can talk to the fridge or microwave or not.

The computer industry see it because people need the right technology at their fingertips, or whatever is easiest for them. Unfortunately, it doesn't always occur when we expect it. Possible reasons would be technology overkill, as argued previously. Another may just be of an unfortunate occurance, natural or unnatural, such as a miscalculation, earthquake, weather disaster, sudden failure of equipment by accident, etc.

I also agree that no matter what add-ons you apply to some common appliance, such as a toaster or refrigerator, it still will not change. But how many worthless inventions will it take for someone to realize he doesn't need all this to work a toaster, to mow the lawn, to watch TV, etc.? :)

16. big macrumors 65816

big

everyone needs a plutonium powered toaster, that includes wireless internet connection for instant stock tips & a nuclear clock all for 19.99$!

17. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

i knew what he was talking about.

18. King Cobra macrumors 603

>(dukestreet) I'm sometimes amazed at your oneliners that don't seem to have any relevance to the thread.

[Emphasis on seem]

>(wdlove) It would be best to be at ground zero!

beatle, even though you know what wdlove is talking about, others may not, and it isn't as obvious as it may seem to others, in the same respect.

Regardless, let's let it pass...

19. cubist macrumors 68020

If we colonize Mars...

... at least some people will survive when one of the boneheads gets his hand on a superweapon. We've already seen (in the DC area) what happens when a pair of loonies get a hold of a good rifle... they are ridiculously hard to track down and catch... and good rifles are readily available nationwide.

20. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: If we colonize Mars...

Well, colonization of Mars and having it totally selfsustaining seems to me as possible, but not for probably a couple of centuries. Hopefully we can make it that far with out something very bad happening.

And KC, in regards to jdlove - I knew what he was talking about, but one liners like that are not appropriate posting form, its spam and adds no value except to raise post count.

D

21. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Knowing about future technologies and having to wait for them to come out

not in my lifetime

with nafta, low wage techies in many continents, and connnected stock markets...the main consumer based issue will be, "who has the lowest price"

one day, people en masse will be more into quality again and think nothing of paying 15-20% percent more for the better product

some mac users do this already, but then again we are not the "en masse" that makes things a major, noticeable trend

22. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Re: Knowing about future technologies and having to wait for them to come out

I'm thinking eventually quality will go up and price will go down - but it might take a while. And certain things like hand made items will always hold a premium - and there's nothing wrong with that.

D