Knowing Nintendo, When will the Wii release date be announced?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Winstonp, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

Knowing Nintendo, When will the Wii release date be announced?.

I'm going on a trip without internet for almost two weeks. I leave next friday. I want to have the opportunity to pre-order, when possible.

2. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Why do you need a release date to pre-order? Everybody knows the Wii is being released sometime this year so just place an order.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Because most places need a price from Nintendo before pre-orders can be taken.

When will Nintendo announce everything? barring in mind we have mere months remaining before the alleged launch date, and there are still some secrets to be announced I can imagine a press event or some impulse show.
    Spaceworld?

4. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Are you serious? In Australia you walk in chuck $100 down and get a receipt. I pre-ordered my 360 before the US release date/price was announced let alone the Australian information.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Not here I'm afraid :) all we have is "Register your interest in the Wii/PS3 today!". probably so they can know how many systems they should order when they hit. us Europeans really are the brunt of the worlds electronic retail system!

6. risc macrumors 68030

risc

That really is amazing neither the Wii or PS3 have any release information and there are signs all over the city here (at game and toy stores) saying come in pre-order now. For both systems.

7. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Yeah, Over here we can't preorder yet. I wish that they would just take a hundred dollars down and then pay the next 150 afterwards but I guess they have no idea how many they are going to get in stock and such. All I know is that I'll be there on day one to preorder.

8. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I think it is because back in the N64 i believe a lot of stores in america had more systems on pre-order than they recieved so a lot of customers got upser

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yeah it's $100 down for the Wii, pay the other $300 or so when it comes out.

PS3 just says "First Born accepted in lieu of cash"...:p

10. drummerbooker14 macrumors 6502

drummerbooker14

11. DEXTERITY macrumors 6502a

price and date will be announced in September, unless something changes..

12. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

the other $149, you mean, since Nintendo said it would be under $250. Unless you're talking AU instead of USD. If so, my bad.:p

13. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

i love going on long trips with no internet. i don't like the part where i don't have the internet for a week or two... i like getting home and checking my email and going to all the websites i go to to see what's goin' on in the world.

14. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

are you sure? i always think the US is the brunt of the worlds electronics. i've tried multiple places to try to pre order a Wii and everyone says "not yet..." plus, we only get the white DS Lite's and japan gets everything and i think you guys have black and white, plus it seems like japan always gets all the stuff that i am saying "no fair..."

15. Winstonp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

for a country that displays christmas ornaments in august, we should have been able to pre-order last november.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Spend some time in the UK, it's horrendous how Europe is treated. Though I hear Australia is tied for last place too. PSP? came out NINE MONTHS after the Japan launch. That could have spawned a human! DS Lite? just a month or so, but we did get the black one. Where Australia got it before America!
    And our price hike. Seriously we're paying the equivalent to $93 for 360 games in shops. $111 for the "rare" collectors edition games. (which incidentally Halo 2 has, yet I saw tin boxed Halo 2 games sealed in HMV the other day... hmm).

17. vincentvivi macrumors newbie

vincentvivi

Odd that you'd mention Spaceworld, since the venue hasn't existed for years now.

But as for the release of the Wii, expect it to be delayed until the second before your resolve breaks and you buy a PS3 instead. You know, like with the SNES. Or should we assume an Ultra-64-esque two year wait for out glorious Urinebox? Only time will tell.

18. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

You know what my friend and I found out yesterday

My local strawberries is actually taking preorders on both systems (PS3 and Wii) and my friend is the first to preorder the PS3 there and I am the first to preorder the Wii.

50 dollars down and you get a preorder

19. Winstonp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

sure you weren't scammed by some clerk?

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I doubt suppy is going to be much an issue. Nintendo have apparently been stock piling the Wii for quite some time, many months before the PS3 production started. With the Wii being just a basic extension of regular hardware components and the PS3 cell and BluRay yield being low. I think Nintendo are planning a worldwide launch, if Sony can do it with their doom and gloom reportings then I'm sure Nintendo have at least thought about beating them to a world first.

21. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

seeing as he is a friend of mine and is also dating my friends mother.

Doubt i was scammed

Also he is the manager of the store

22. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

From what I hear, it's nigh impossible to get a DS at all in Japan

23. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

I doubt supply will be a big problem and also raggedjimmi makes a good point in that the basic internal technology is not that far off from what exists as compared with the PS3's cell processor.

24. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Same sort of thing here. $1199! :eek:

25. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I've heard reports that say that because of how far along Nintendo is, that they could potentially start selling Wii systems as early as October 2nd. That's rumor/speculation, yes.

But -
    one more tidbit of information is that Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam has a release schedule of October, with several other titles for November.
    http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2006/07/28/more-evidence-of-an-october-release/