Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Just a catch-all thread for curious questions that have popped into my mind recently and have bugged me for the past few days...

Feel free to ask random questions of your own; someone might know the answer. They don't have to be tech-related at all...

Anyway, here's mine:

1) When you mount a disk image, 'where' are the files? In RAM? On a bit of your hard-drive that you can't access directly through Finder? What actually happens (apart from the obvious) when you double-click a dmg file?

2) Following on from that, is there an easy and foolproof way to drag and drop folders to make compressed images from them? Something like the way Stuffit operates? Instead of going through the hassle of doing it all from Disk Utility?

3) I saw this guy busking on the London Underground recently and he was standing playing some form of guitarish thing in an upright position. Never seen or heard anything like it. It definitely had more than six strings, was amplified and had quite a long neck and it kind of sounded like two or three guitarists playing at once. It wasn't a sitar or anything non-western or if it was, it was tuned to whatever a standard 'western/european' scale is. Does anyone have any idea of what I'm talking about? No pix, sorry.

Help me sleep at night, thanks. :D

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Hopefully this will help with your second question - just tried it and it worked for me. Not perfect, but vastly easier than the 'standard' approach.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Hopefully this will help with your second question - just tried it and it worked for me. Not perfect, but vastly easier than the 'standard' approach.

Still, that's so damned obvious and 'Mac-like' I'm kicking myself for not even trying it! Thanks. :)

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
#3. it wasn't one of these was it?

xbl_2.jpg

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
Sorry don't know the answer to those questions... Here's mine...

When will I find true love?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
3) I saw this guy busking on the London Underground recently and he was standing playing some form of guitarish thing in an upright position. Never seen or heard anything like it. It definitely had more than six strings, was amplified and had quite a long neck and it kind of sounded like two or three guitarists playing at once. It wasn't a sitar or anything non-western or if it was, it was tuned to whatever a standard 'western/european' scale is. Does anyone have any idea of what I'm talking about? No pix, sorry.

Was it a Stick?

stick.jpg

EDIT: D'oh, schooled by Bartelby!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Still, that's so damned obvious and 'Mac-like' I'm kicking myself for not even trying it! Thanks. :)
No problem!

As far as #1 goes, I believe the files are in the DMG file, not anywhere else on your hard disk. There might be caching optimizations, esp. for compressed disk images, but I'm pretty sure there's no need to re-write them to your hard disk... doing so would probably be a security issue for encrypted disks, for example.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
#3. it wasn't one of these was it?

Yes! Sounded pretty amazing. And he also gathered a small cluster of teenagers with black Metallica Tshirts to listen. I gave him £2. :)

Any well-known bands/musicians use these regularly?

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
#1 The content of a disk image is in the .dmg file. My semi-educated guess is that when you mount a disk image, you just start a system task/call that sets up a structure that gives you access to that content. This also sets up other stuff like if a password is needed to do on the fly encryption/decryption and whether you have read only or read and write privileges.

So the files you see are still on the hard drive within the .dmg file, but the structure that enables you to access the content is in memory. Content may be buffered in memory when you read and write, but when you unmount any outstanding writes will be flushed to disk.

I'm probably not using the correct terms for system task and structure here, but I hope they serve to explain what's going on.

Garden Knowm

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2006
California
Sorry don't know the answer to those questions... Here's mine...

When will I find true love?

When you can sit still and watch your MIND like a man trapped in a cell watches the venomous cobra that is trapped in the cell with him... he never waivers.. he never takes his eyes off the snake..

Just SIT STILL and watch.. NEVER REACT to the ordinary MIND...
with undivided attention and direct focus, watch your mind... You wil then, and only then become aware of TRUE LOVE....

You should also consider VIPASSANA - http://www.dhamma.org/

iloveyou

Garden Knowm

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2006
California
I have been feeding my dog the same dog food for 5 years (he is 6 years old)... he is a huge and extremely athletic Great Dane that gets walked 1-3 miles everyday.

And he goes for runs on the weekends...

Every 3-6 weeks he gets diarrhea.... I don't give him any new food or change his diet at all.. WTF?

I have another Great Dane that is on the same regement of food.. he never gets diarrhea ....

???
What is going on?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Just a side note about dmg files: If you want them to open instantly, you can use something like Tinkertool to "Skip checksum verification when opening DMG files":

Picture 1.jpg

Excellent for "known" dmg files... :)

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
I don't know, babes. It's also a question of mine too... :(

Did you just call me babes? :D

you won't find it, it will come to you :)

Hmm... I've been kind of countin' on that but it aint workin out. I'm still young though.

When you can sit still and watch your MIND like a man trapped in a cell watches the venomous cobra that is trapped in the cell with him... he never waivers.. he never takes his eyes off the snake..

Just SIT STILL and watch.. NEVER REACT to the ordinary MIND...
with undivided attention and direct focus, watch your mind... You wil then, and only then become aware of TRUE LOVE....

You should also consider VIPASSANA - http://www.dhamma.org/

iloveyou

ok thar...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.