Konami exec. says Metal Gear Solid may go to other consoles

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by zero2dash, Jul 10, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/10/konami-exec-says-metal-gear-solid-may-go-to-other-consoles/

No matter what system(s) you are a fan of, you can't argue with the reasoning behind the rumor.

Development costs are skyrocketing and console exclusives just aren't lucrative enough anymore for 3rd party developers.

2. Guest

Sky Blue

Metal Gear Solid 4 for DS confirmed!!!

3. macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Don't forget that Konami (and Capcom) have been struggling with their bottom line recently.

Bearing this in mind, it would make sense for them to release their flagship titles on more than one system, be it PS3, PS2, Xbox360, Wii, PC or whatever.

4. macrumors 604

zap2

PC and Xbox 360 I'd bet....anything else it would be cut down too much I think

5. macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Kojima has already stated that MGS4 is PS3 only, its his studio, he calls the shots and has his own funds.

Keep dreaming.

Ed

6. macrumors 68040

BoyBach

If the accountants at Konami say that MGS4 is being released on more than one system, then it will be released on more than just the PS3.

And that's a fact!

7. macrumors 68020

e²Studios

It's a fact says you? Great, i believe you now! ;)

Konami may publish the game, but Kojima is the studio and they say where it goes. It is a fact that Kojima said it will be PS3 only because neither of the other systems could handle the game. See facts are only facts if you can back them up, search around and you will find the article im talking about.

Or you can just make more assumptions and misrepresent them as facts :p

Ed

8. macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh come on. It's too obvious it's coming to either the 360 or the PC. Always has done.

How on earth do Konami hope to make a profit on MGS4 if it's being released on just 1, 3rd place console? When you consider that MGS3 is the only MG game to never be released on another console out of, how many games? And that the cost of production for this game is going to be astronomical.

Then the accounts go and say we should expect it on other systems?
    Funny thing is. The longer this is in development for the more its going to cost. The more they can't risk a loss on 1 system.

(not that I'd buy it. I'm no MGS fan. I <3 the first and aren't keen on the rest)

9. macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Who makes the game is completely irrelevant. Who OWNS the rights to game are all that matters. I don't know who owns the rights for MGS4, if it's the studio or the publisher. But, that's the deciding factor, not the guy who makes it.

As for no other system being able to handle it... well, we'll see what it looks like, but point out a PS3 game that looks as good as GoW on the 360 let alone better and maybe you'll get some support for that. The only edge that the PS3 has on the 360 is disc size, as far as any real world game performance has shown so far. Maybe MGS4 will be so huge it couldn't possible fit onto DVD9 and would be split onto two discs, but at that point (18gb) I'd be very shocked to see it needing more room unless they're doing a ton of HD FMV, which is stupid anways and cold be compressed with slightly lower resolutions and quality, etc. Two discs would be a hassle, but not a deal breaker.

10. macrumors Core

Dagless

Exactly. That's how it goes. Whoever actually owns the game can take it to another developer, or middleware company, and ask them to port it. Which confused the hell out of me as a kid, I thought Factor 5 developed R-Type :D

11. macrumors 68040

BoyBach

No, Kojima Studios are the developers. Konami are the publishers (who presumably pay the overheads?), so they decide where the game goes.

Would it be foolish for Konami to tread on the toes of their superstar developer? Absolutely. Is it beyond the realms of possibilty? Not at all.

Is it a fact? Probably! ( ;) )

12. macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Ed H, it really sounds like you don't understand how these things work.

Right or wrong, publishers pretty much control what happens, and they are the ones spending most of the money - that gives them the say in these matters.

There are a few companies, like Valve, who can call their own shots (they have Steam, etc) - but I highly doubt Kojima Productions is one of those companies.

13. macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Hao, Kojima calls the shots and has its own bean counters. Maybe you should teach yourself a little something someday ;)

Ed

14. macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Heh, whatever you say. I mean, since you say it, it must be right!

Kojima is an employee of Konami. He was the vice president of KCEJ (Konami Computer Entertainment Japan), a subsidiary of Konami.

KCEJ was turned into "Kojima Productions", so that Hideo himself wouldn't have to mess around with the business/management side and focus on developing games.

So now he has more time for games, but the business side of things he isn't even in charge of. Now how can you "call the shots" if that isn't your position? He's still Konami's employee, they still pay the money, he makes the games - Konami decides the business moves, such as platform.

15. macrumors regular

michaelltd

You know though, didn't the guy in charge or developing Resident Evil 4 originally say that RE4 was going to stay exclusive as well?

I have no doubt it'll be exclusive for PS3 for now, but I think sooner or later we're goning to see it somewhere else.

16. macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Whatever makes you sleep better ;)

17. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm sure MGS4 will port over to the 360 but I don't think it will at the same time as for the PS3. Just as I see Bioshock coming over to the PS3 maybe next year the same goes here....but by that time I'll already flip over MGS4 twice.

Bless

18. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

And really, who do you think tells the accountant that the game is coming to XBox 360? Hmmm...I'd guess Kojima.

19. macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

buwhahahahahahaha.......

As Ed already stated - MGS4 is confirmed PS3 exclusive. This comment was not from the Japan studio, but from their NA counterpart, and if it does go to "other" platforms, it will be a new title or a spin-off(or a very long timed-exclusive). I highly doubt he is talking about MGS4, but MGS in general. ;)

20. thread starter macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Mikami also said RE4 would not appear on any other consoles than Gamecube or he'd chop his own head off.

Funny how times change...:rolleyes:
    and AFAIK, his head's still intact. :p

Kojima has no say where the game is published. If he's so adamant about it, he'd cease developing the game now and cut his losses. Of course he wouldn't get paid and the game would never see the light of day.

Just like Devil May Cry 4, Assassin's Creed and Virtua Fighter 5 were Ps3 exclusives. :p

Sorry to both of you...wake up and smell the coffee. Any third party title anymore is not a guaranteed exclusive. In-house, ok. I don't expect to see Dave Jaffe demoing God of War 3 on the 360 or Bungie showing Halo 3 on the Ps3. But come on already. :rolleyes: All the "guaranteed exclusives" have went out the window and are no longer "guaranteed". The only one left is Final Fantasy, and even that one's in question.

21. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

It's like being on vacation in Egypt round here.

I see a lot of people in d'nile ;):D

22. macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

tries to find old jpeg with MGS4 for 360 image
    (showing a 20 dvd set.....lol)

23. thread starter macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

...because swapping discs is so horrendously bad and ruins the experience, doesn't it? :p

LOL :rolleyes:
    whatever helps you sleep at night, knowing that the Ps3 is closer to losing another exclusive ;)

24. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

It's probably next to the quote that each level of Lair takes 9GB and that all PS3 games will require huge storage space.....

And we have to remember BluRay will not result in developers filling it with just cheesy extra content to bump up the disc usuage at all will it.....

But oh wait... what about Warhawk being downloadable, and the only benefit of buying it on disc is loads of making of movies filling the disc....

mmmmmm.

Seriously WHO CARES if MGS4 goes Multiplatform. People need to get off their high horses. At the end of the day this makes financial sense for konami especially considering the poor sales of ps3 in Japan so far.
    Kojima wants his gme to be a commercial success, for that he needs multiplatform.

25. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Whats the reall sense of it....MS lost a lot of "exclusive" too but I hear nothing about it...it makes sense for games to go this route but being smart biz players Sony and MS will pay a little extra to keep the software a timed exclusive.

I see no problem here....I still rather MGS on the PS3 and thats what I'll buy it for...more money for them...more gaming for me.

Bless