Konfabulator.com

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by FelixDerKater, Jul 12, 2004.

1. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Pretty funny.

I'ts been in the threads since WWDC, but I can't remember if it had its own thread or just was a theme in one of the others....

3. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

My reply: "Why download a 3rd party application, when you could download the real thing now?''

4. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

Yea all 1 gig of it ;) :cool:

5. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

More like 1.63 gigs of it ;) :cool:

6. Whigga Spitta macrumors 6502

It's sorry to see that such an ingenius idea for an application will soon be overtaken by Apple. That being said, I have enjoyed using Konfabulator, and I can only hope that work will still be done to create various other widgets/whatever they're called in Tiger. Maybe the Dashboard will "revolutionize" my desktop in a way that Konfabulator didn't, but until then, I am still for using the original.

7. FelixDerKater thread starter macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Hopefully Dashboard doesn't slow everything else down like Konfabulator does.

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i will continue to use konfabulator. not cause im mad at apple or anything. s*** happens in this business and if konfabulator had anything secret to their program it should be copyrighted and lawsuit would come out of it. but konfabulator stays on the screen and i enjoy that. I didn't really enjoy dashboard when i used it. only think i liked was the instant calculator, but other than that i dont really care.

iJon

9. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Ok, for those who still think Apple ripped off Konfabulator...

They Didn't!

Apple had Desk Accessories or something like that back in the 80's. There have also been other things for Windows out too...

Apple is just updating an idea they had back some time ago.

The Konfabulator developers refuse to acknowledge that, and now are claiming that their app isn't like the windows ones (desktopX?), or even like Desk Accessories (although I don't see how they could claim that, because they are essentially the same thing if you look at them from a "what good does it do me" point of view)

Don't be mad at Apple. Be mad at Konfabulator for not making a better product... Dashboard is going to be so much better...

10. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

G4scott, since I am now able to use *cough*Tiger*cough* I'll tell you what my experince is with it.

To access it, I have to press F12.(or F11, F10, ect.) I have a 3 button mouse, and there is no way to use Dashboard with the middle button. You have to use the F keys.

Personally, I don't think I'm going to use it very much, since I *never* use Stickies, my clock is always in the menubar, I have the calc app in my dock, I never use iCal, the iTunes controller seems pretty useless to me, and, like I said, you have to access it via one of the F buttons.

But for people who do use the calc, Stickies, iCal, ect. I think you'll really like it. :)

If you have any more questions on *cough*Tiger*cough* feel free to PM me.

11. apple2991 macrumors 6502

12. 7on macrumors 601

7on

13. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i don't think that Konfabulator will be 'overtaken'. a bit of healthy competition never hurt anyone. ;) hopefully this will just make sure the the Konfabulator people don't slack off in their development.

and of course you have to press keys to access the gadgets, with Konfab they're just there.

but it will be interesting to see how things go...

14. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

You do know that those are just the default applications, right? The cool thing about Dashboard is that they are really just little webpages that run independent of the browser. Anyone with HTML/CSS experience can make one. Anyone with those skills plus Cocoa fo Javascript programming experience cna make some really cool ones. That is where Dashboard kicks the crap out of Konfabulator. Konfab is not easy to develop for and the underlying technology is very different. I think that Dashboard can be as useful or as useless as you want. I think that is the point.

Several great articles here and here.