konfabulator...DAYS away

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mnkeybsness, Feb 5, 2003.

1. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

just reviving something old...

konfabulator.com
    the journal on this page tells us that konfabulator is just DAYS away from being released. i know that i'm excited to try it out.

also check out this thread

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

3. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: konfabulator...DAYS away

i'll have to keep my eye out, this looks entertaining at least, maybe UBERCOOL at best. i can't wait.

4. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I've been waiting since day one, this app will change the way people use computers,

and damn the itunes remote looks wicked!

5. mnkeybsness thread starter macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

i'm really looking forward to being able to make my OWN widgets...that's probably the best feature included...except i am kinda skeptical at the complexity of making them

6. medea macrumors 68030

medea

oh I forgot about konfabulator (what an awful name,) can't wait to check it out and see if is worth all the hype, from the screenshot I saw I think it will.

7. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

it looks like it could be cool, but it's WAY overdone, and seriously fugly.

they need to tone it down and make the extrusions / lighting / framing much more subtle.

just MHO, though.

8. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

arlo has been getting everyone at the konfab boards really hyped up and i hope that the product's power is comensurate with our expectations (i'm sure it will be). i think i may have to learn javascript so that i can make some widgets (the only problem is trying to think of what to make). it's a bit difficult to know what to do when there aren't really any boundaries. apparently, there will be a lot of nice features added after the 1.0 release (text input for example). i read on the konfab boards a few weeks back that one of the beta testers had made some kind of perl extension for konfab which increases the functionality about 10 fold. i hope that this thing is priced at a reasonable level and that people who are smarter than i am come up with some nice widgets. i can't wait until monday!

9. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

I think the name is kind of funny.

10. mnkeybsness thread starter macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

you can make them look any way you want...so really you can't complain that anything is ugly...just make your own skin for it

11. mnkeybsness thread starter macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

just bringing this up to the top...

at 11:59 PST the download will be available...

it's pretty certain that konfab will be shareware...but ican see this certainly worth a try...

arlo rose is the head of the project: he used to work for apple and was part of the kaleidoscope team

Attached Files:

12. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

although neither arlo or perry have said anything about the price, http://www.macoszone.com/ has posted info on K, saying that it will be $25. if you can't wait until tomorrow to see what it looks like, there is a screenshot (kind of ugly) here...
    http://homepage.mac.com/patrick9/.Pictures/widggie_desktop3.jpg

keep in mind that the widget format is completely open, so you can change how the windget looks and operates yourself. anything you can do with javascript/applescript (actually more) can be done with these widgets. all of the graphics are rendered through quartz and you can even hook up widgets to terminal/shell script commands. why is it that the last day of waiting is always the hardest?

13. biscool macrumors member

It looks cool and I can think a lot of things to "build" but what is the point of the aiport or clock widgets? (Besides looking cool) I have a clock and airport meter in the menu bar, where I can see them at all times. How much CPU will this take? I have a bunch of good ideas (IMHO) but these app will be useless if it slows the system down...

14. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

anyone got a line on how much this is going to cost? as long as it's <10$, lol.

15. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

the widgets that ship with konfabulator are just examples to get you started, the real power is that you can make anything you want, but obviously arlo and perry can't read our minds :D . there was a message from one of the beta testers on the k board saying that on his 500mhz imac, it ran fine with enough ram and there was no big tax on the system (good news for us old-school imac users).

16. Chimaera macrumors regular

Well, its out, and registration is $25

quite pretty too...

Not sure how useful its going to be yet, but its a nice toy.

17. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

wow, this is like downloading off of limewire (not that i do that). i almost forgot what it was like to use a 56 K modem. it's 3 AM CST, and their server is bogged like none other. can't wait to try this thing. i was disappointed that it was over 10$; now we'll see if it's worth it!

18. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

im missing something. it doesn't seem to do anything.

there are a list of widgets on the website (6) and they all seem pretty useless. what is the point of this?

maybe once people write widgets for it it might be sueful but right now i don't see any widgets that do anything useful. and i don't really want to downlaod some useless plugin just so i can see what the damn thing is supposed to do.

the author should spend less time hyping the product and should ahve taken some time to create some plugins of his own that would allow someone to actually use the app in some useful way.

but it explains all the hype. this app will fall very flat if people don't write widgets for it. only trouble is there don't seem to be any good examples right now.

POS ? not worth anyone's time.

19. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I've been a supporter of this since day one and I have to say WOW!

This thing will change the way people do stuff, the itunes remote is god like, the mail checker thats on the widget site is a blessing, I think this is the best app to hit OSX so far.

20. Chimaera macrumors regular

You are joking aren't you? I'm with AmbitiousLemon here, its nothing more than a toy - I can see potential for the program, but theres nothing yet released thats especially useful.

Doesn't even come close to
    oh, and as for the iTunes remote - I'd rather use the minimal form of the main iTunes interface :)

21. AnotherMortal macrumors regular

iTunes Remote

Has anyone else had problems with iTunes remote opening the OS 9 version of iTunes?
    I'd post on the Konfabulator's site, but it seems a little, erhm, like it's been slashdotted or something.

22. mnkeybsness thread starter macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

i seem to be missing the part about making my own widgets...i thought this was supposed to be "easily done"...is that a feature only in the registered version? if so, there is no way i'm buying it, i wanna know how easy/hard it is before buying. or am i just missing something since i can't really get the konfabulator.com pages to load right at all?

23. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

the konfabulator pages are slow because there are lots of people downloading off of the site. www.konfabulator.com/downloads has a pdf file that details the javascript/xml cues needed to create a widget (assuming that you already know javascript).

to those of you who keep saying "this is useless, i don't need another clock", go to
    http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/javascript/tutorials/tutorial1.html
    and learn javascript, then write a widget that does something you want. obviously everyone has a different way of how he would like his desktop to work, so perry and arlo can't just make 900 widgets based on what they think people will like. kaleidoscope only came with 4 or 5 themes, but people didn't say, "this high tech theme is silly, therefore the app is stupid".