Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
I was looking at the Konfabulator website. I don't see anywhere to purchase the software. I see you can download it. How much does it cost, or is it free?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Go to the website, and (non-intuitively) click on "Info" in the upper right, then you'll see (after the link) a menu item under "Info" that lets you purchase it ($25 for single-user license).

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
jsw said:
Go to the website, and (non-intuitively) click on "Info" in the upper right, then you'll see (after the link) a menu item under "Info" that lets you purchase it ($25 for single-user license).

Thank you! I just was going to post that I saw the "purchase" button appear on some of the links. Not a very good marketing strategy to bury the place to buy it. ;) I would have figured it would have been on the download page as well.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
hcuar said:
Not a very good marketing strategy to bury the place to buy it. ;)

Actually, I think it's a pretty good one, albeit subversive. You can download the app and it'll bug you about buying it. There's plenty of "buy now" type buttons then. It's all about baiting the hook.. :)

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
yellow said:
Actually, I think it's a pretty good one, albeit subversive. You can download the app and it'll bug you about buying it. There's plenty of "buy now" type buttons then. It's all about baiting the hook.. :)

I'm the type that deletes nag software. I guess it might work from some. Oh well... I don't want to pay for "toy" software anyway. I'd rather save the $25 to purchase Tiger when it comes out.

andysmith

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2004
West Mids, UK
Konfabulator is more than a toy though - at first it's cool to play with, yeah, but things like FTP Drop, a to-do list and weather are really useful :)

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Definitely NOT a toy if you can program in java and want to create little widgets.

edit: damnit java, not perl! :rolleyes:

andysmith

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2004
West Mids, UK
yellow said:
Definitely NOT a toy if you can program in perl and want to create little widgets.
Yep - I've never programmed an application before, but I knew a little javascript, and I know lots of PHP, and found it really easy to create a widget.
I wrote one that puts the computer to sleep, less than 24 hours after I downloaded it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.