konfabulator

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by hcuar, Oct 2, 2004.

1. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I was looking at the Konfabulator website. I don't see anywhere to purchase the software. I see you can download it. How much does it cost, or is it free?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Go to the website, and (non-intuitively) click on "Info" in the upper right, then you'll see (after the link) a menu item under "Info" that lets you purchase it ($25 for single-user license).

3. hcuar thread starter macrumors 65816

hcuar

Thank you! I just was going to post that I saw the "purchase" button appear on some of the links. Not a very good marketing strategy to bury the place to buy it. ;) I would have figured it would have been on the download page as well.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Actually, I think it's a pretty good one, albeit subversive. You can download the app and it'll bug you about buying it. There's plenty of "buy now" type buttons then. It's all about baiting the hook.. :)

5. hcuar thread starter macrumors 65816

hcuar

I'm the type that deletes nag software. I guess it might work from some. Oh well... I don't want to pay for "toy" software anyway. I'd rather save the $25 to purchase Tiger when it comes out.

6. andysmith macrumors 6502

Konfabulator is more than a toy though - at first it's cool to play with, yeah, but things like FTP Drop, a to-do list and weather are really useful :)

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Definitely NOT a toy if you can program in java and want to create little widgets.

edit: damnit java, not perl! :rolleyes:

8. hcuar thread starter macrumors 65816

hcuar

I'm trying to talk myself out of spending $25 dollars. Stop it! :D

9. andysmith macrumors 6502

Yep - I've never programmed an application before, but I knew a little javascript, and I know lots of PHP, and found it really easy to create a widget.
    I wrote one that puts the computer to sleep, less than 24 hours after I downloaded it :)