konfubulator widget conversion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by A. Hutch, Jun 13, 2005.

1. A. Hutch macrumors newbie

Hey,
    Is there any way to convert konfubulator widgets so they work in dashboard? Thanks,
    A. Hutch.

2. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

no, they're totally different beasts. you want to use the konfab ones, you either buy konfab or you rewrite it using your own material, they aren't kind on copying graphics which would end up causing you more problems in the end than it's worth.

3. A. Hutch thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

However, if you wrote/created your own widget, creating a 2nd version to (or from) dashboard should not be difficult at all.

5. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

um... lol right...

the interface is totally different for one. konfabulator's is totally xml based

where a dashboard widget is totally html... a lot of your javascript would have to be changed to account for the interface differences, and your interface would be totally different.

not exactly hard work but it would be like writing a whole new widget.

6. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Since when is all that difficult?

Of course a converstion would have to be done, but it would be by no means difficult.

If you know XML, chances are you learned HTML way before, so it wouldnt't be a challange to do - especially considering you wrote the widget.

7. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

err... i'm not exactly a html wiz here.. but i know my xml. so yea.. i can write a konfab widget very quickly, but i can't write the html to make it look and operate the same for dashboard. sorry, but you don't have to know html to know xml. if you seen my website for example, it's a stock wordpress install because i simply have no means to make it pretty myself. the only thing stopping me from making a widget for either of them is simply i suck with photoshop or any equivalent application.

EDIT:

i also find the development of konfab widgets to be far easier. built in debugging, they now provide a cool little photoshop diddly doodad that let's you export straight from photoshop the xml code required to composite all your stuff together... sorry from a developers prospective konfabulator blows dashboard outta the water. dashboard while useful.. doesn't compare to konfab at all, at least this release.

8. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

I do agree that Konfab widgets are easier (and the widget convert from Arlo is really neat).

I don't mean that to know XML is to know HTML, I am just assuming that someone who has learned XML has most likely picked up HTML somewhere a long the line. Definitely not going to be true in every case though, as you point out.

I think the #1 flaw in dashboard is the way widgets are opened and used and stored in the bar. Very clumsy in my opinion :p

9. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

yea, i just prefer hard coding stuff.. and well css and xhtml are .. still a mess if you ask me. it's too hard for me to remember that stuff since i rarely use it. i've always got a book open whenever i'm doing css or xhtml type things. however any other coding i do i typically can remember it even if i haven't used it in awhile... that and i feel html and css are so.. kludgy.. especially with all the browsers that can't get standards right, let's write a particular site that SHOULD work on all browsers, then write like 8 little hacks to get it to work on the others who have broken renderers. bleh. i knew there was a reason i wasn't interested in web design for a living, and the whole idea of moving to india wasn't all that appealing.