Korea and Nuclear Weapons

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Scarlet Fever, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

On October 9, 2006, North Korea announced that it had successfully completed its first nuclear missle test. This caused major controversy across the globe, particuarly in America. George W. Bush is calling this test an outrage, and a threat to international security. He has called for North Korea to disarm its nuclear weapons capable of mass destruction.

I think it's fair enough to ask that North Korea discontinue its creation of weapons and to stop testing, but i think its slightly hypocritical for Bush to say that testing nukes is bad. America have tested several nuclear weapons in the past, some of them with detrimental effects.

Why is it that America is allowed to have and test nukes, while it is apparently a crime for other countries to have them? One of George Bush's reasons for going to war against Iraq was the threat of weapons of mass destruction. What did America use to fight Iraq?

North Korea shouldn't have nukes, and they shouldn't test them. In fact, no country should have nukes, or weapons of mass destruction of any kind, and they shouldn't be allowed to test them.

discuss.

2. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

In some cases, weapons of mass destruction are the only way to keep less civilized nations at bay.

3. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Nukes are here to stay, and always will be until we eradicate ourselves with them. Hell, if America didn't get them first, someone else would have, then the world would be completely different. Imagine the isnane dictators and national leaders all over the world launching these things every few weeks at each other...

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

or less civilized...

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Seems the test is or was a near failure in yield, In fact it may have all been conventional weapons we just dont know but the claim it was successful may be just a lie. Its hard to say when they are speaking the truth because they seldom do. Its also interesting that most the world has this test pretty low on the Nuke scale. As someone here said earlier Kim young Punk may have just had a million men in the tunnel jump at the same time.

6. Queso macrumors G4

The mistake everyone is making is to assume that Iran and North Korea want nukes so they can go on the attack. Both of these countries are routinely threatened or dominated by existing nuclear powers (Israel, China, & the USA). Having the weapons themselves gives them security, and just like all the other nuclear powers, they aren't going to use them for fear of the reprisals.

Kim Jong-Il does not want to destroy America as the White House would have us all believe. He merely wants to remain in complete control of North Korea, and now outside forces daren't try and knock him out of power in the same way the Western Axis did with Saddam. Kim's a brutal dictator, yes, but he's not going to suddenly try to overrun China or South Korea. He'd have to be stupid to try that, and stupid's one thing he definitely isn't.

Now he's levelled the playing field. In the same way that India and Pakistan both having nukes meant they had to sit down and talk, China and the US now have to sit down and talk with Kim.

7. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Exactly. I still can't figure out why so many people assume that if a country develops nuclear weapons, its sole purpose is to launch them against the United States. Nukes act as a deterrent but somehow everyone in the US just seems to be a wee bit paranoid about the nuclear situation.

Even though Pakistan would be, what India would call a 'rogue state' harboring terrorists et al.. they have not, and will not launch nukes against India. It would be an act of self-destruction. Its funny how the United States has thousands of nukes but chases after little countries who barely have any capability to defend themselves.

Do I think NK should take into account the serious nature of this situation and act accordingly? Yes.. but at the same time, I think its a little silly to think that NK would want to launch a nuke across the Pacific.. at the United States. They would be completely annihilated (of course, that's if the administration here acts promptly instead of being spaced out as they always are!)

8. Scarlet Fever thread starter macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I really hope you are right. I think Bush is trying to exert far too much control over the world. I really hope the Americans have enough sense to unseat him and his party from power; i've heard the opposition is bad, but they can't be worse than Bush, surely.

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Korea the North that is are now threating the use of force against us and this was coming from a top official in the govt. Get ready because it looks like Bush's policys are going to get us into another war. Also if this happens you can count on a draft.

10. Queso macrumors G4

Talking about and doing are two completely different things. After China's statement yesterday, NK are using the opportunity to belittle the US. Think of the little annoying guy hanging around with much harder friends who's always shouting his mouth off.

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

North Korea has nothing to looooooooose;) They really dont and leaders like Kim could care a less about his people so in the end its about him wanting to play with his toys.

12. Queso macrumors G4

North Korea doesn't, but Kim Jong-Il does. I guarantee he's a long way from going hungry right now.

13. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Yes, nukes are a deterrent. The real issues are security and control. However, in Pakistan's case, their senior nuclear scientist was selling nuclear secrets to North Korea! The US is more paranoid about people with ill intent getting their hands on nuke. As was mentioned earlier, Iran has missiles, but no nukes. North Korea has nukes, but no missiles. Do you think they might like to talk???

14. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

The tests in North Korea are just one example of tests to see how the U.S.
    will react.

It is clear that we are up to our necks in the cesspool that this administration
    has created in the Middle East, so other countries are seeing how far they can go
    while we are virtually powerless to stop them.

We might be able to hit NK or Iran with an air strike, but we certainly do not have enough boots available to control any major event.

The world also knows that we have lost faith in our leadership, so they are inclined
    to see what they can get away with.

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yes of course they'd both like to be more capable, but that still isn't any proof of intent to harm anyone.

And we're still not sure whether NK REALLY has nukes or is just bluffing like Saddam.

16. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

China has usually being friendly with NK, educate me on how those two countries are routinely threatened or dominated" by China?

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

China clearly dominates NK by virtue of its enormous size relative to NK, and, lest you forget, I believe NK, SK and the US are still "at war".

18. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

i dont believe that's what he meant... he said routinely threaten and dominate, aka harrass... like the way U.S. of A. acted like world police and threaten and dominate those countries... and as of isreal, i'm not familiar with that part, so i'm not commenting

does UK feel threatened and dominated by China "by virtue of its enormous size relative to UK"

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The US has threatened NK's existence since Bush declared it part of the Axis of Evil. That's tantamount to issuing a fatwa.

20. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

MAYBE i wasn't being clear enough, since you obviously dont understand what i'm talking about

i'm asking the person i quoted, that what makes he think China has been threaten and dominate those two countries, aka harrass those to countries like the way US did to them

(and you said china dominate NK by virtue of its size... what kind of answer is that, china is bigger than a lot of country, including your little UK island, by same logic china is dominating and threatening UK? OBVIOUSLY no... and by same logic china is not doing that to NK... i was always told china and NK were more allie than enemy)

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Maybe you misunderstood. The person you quoted did not say that China threatens or dominates Iran. He said that Iran and NK were both "threatened or dominated by nuclear powers". Which they are.

Your logic is faulty. The UK is not a neighbour of China. We do not share a long land border. China dominates NK in the same way as Russia dominates its smaller neighbours, such as the Ukraine and Georgia.

22. Queso macrumors G4

Where did I say that? There was an "or" in my post for a reason. Your comparison with the UK also does not hold, since China and the UK are not neighbours with the UK being kept from collapse by Chinese handouts.

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Have you got me on ignore or something? :confused:

:p

24. Queso macrumors G4

Sorry skunk. I was composing the post when an e-mail came in, and by the time I'd finished that and posted my reply here, you'd added your comments. :eek:

25. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

well, how is china routinely dominate or threaten NK? just because china is bigger, and share a bit of border?