Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I mean really? Are people really sweating .99 purchases this much these days? I'm not saying this isn't a good thing for consumers, but app prices have become so dirt cheap these days that do you really feel that burned spending less than a dollar on an app?

I can just see this being abused. People buying a game for dirt cheap prices, beating it in a few hours, and then demanding a refund. Consumers have already won big time by having a free market for great software at shockingly low prices. Do we really feel entitled to demanding a refund for something that typically costs between 1-3 dollars, when doing a little bit of research before purchasing could have probably helped mitigate buyers remorse?

Now if some app was scamming people, I could understand that. But doesn't Apple already have policies in place that reject apps that don't "function as advertised?"
There may be more to it than seems on the surface but the App Store policies are crap and always have been for devs. Apps can’t be ones that reproduce OS functionality……...Really????
So what, maybe somebody else does it better.
There is a principle here and yes. You are entitled to a refund for ANYTHING you purchase that isn’t of the expected quality. I wouldn’t bother of course but the principle should still exist.

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
I'm all for a clear refund policy (and I'm a developer). People can already get their money back, but most don't know. And I believe if they know, they'll buy more expensive quality apps with confidence and everybody benefits.

However, 7 days is way to long. That's enough to play through most games. Even 24h is too long.

2h should be enough to figure out if the app sucks.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
I mean really? Are people really sweating .99 purchases this much these days? I'm not saying this isn't a good thing for consumers, but app prices have become so dirt cheap these days that do you really feel that burned spending less than a dollar on an app?

I can just see this being abused. People buying a game for dirt cheap prices, beating it in a few hours, and then demanding a refund. Consumers have already won big time by having a free market for great software at shockingly low prices. Do we really feel entitled to demanding a refund for something that typically costs between 1-3 dollars, when doing a little bit of research before purchasing could have probably helped mitigate buyers remorse?

Now if some app was scamming people, I could understand that. But doesn't Apple already have policies in place that reject apps that don't "function as advertised?"

You must only play games because most of the non game apps are above 99 cents.

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011

It's not a matter of money, it's a matter of principles. All purchases should be refundable if you didn't try what you are buying beforehand, which in the case of Apps and purchases via Internet in general is almost always the case. How much did you pay doesn't matter.

Last edited:

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
Stupid idea. Apps are dirt cheap. If I spend $0.99 or $1.99 on an App and don't like it, then I've lost nothing.

Doesn't matter if it is dirt cheap, it's about consumer protection... there are way too many garbage apps or untested apps on the app store.

An example is Shadow Run; while it is compatible with the Galaxy S4, it is entirely unplayable due tot he small screen size. Recently wanted to refund an Apple App Store game I bought my kid because I found out it had a gazillion IAPs that needed to be bought even tho I paid for the base game.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
Do not see the need for this...

I have had 1 dodgy app in these many years of using the app store. I contacted Apple and had a refund within an hour. It may be different there than the UK but every time I have a problem Apple always gets back to me within a couple of hours and sorts it no problems.

I find their customer service and refund policy great for such a large company, so many times have their been hassles, arguments and rages over bad customer service and shady policies that I find Apple a joy to do business with.

Besides trial apps was in the dev api at WWDC2014.

Eweie

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2013
Ive reported a few apps that were total crap or charged me full price when the app was on sale (not kidding once I got charged 50 bucks for a 5 dollar app on sale) and the Apple representative was super helpful.

I got a full refund and the Apple rep told me I could keep the app but I wouldn't be able to download it again (but it still updates...) :apple:

It was kind of a pain and alot of uncertainty for sure but I hope Apple doesn't change the system in a way that's exploitable against the developer.

tjanssen1990

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2009
Apple and Google should simply get together and collectively pull out of South Korea.
With no mobile app stores their policies on refunds will loosen up very quickly.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Chocolate bar manufactures are Koreas next target. Obesity will sky rocket :D

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Awesome. Now I can download and "purchase" any app I want, and even the ones I don't want. I will get my money/refund back anytime I like.

Cuz the Korea Gubmint is looking out for me! :rolleyes:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I'm unsure why so many here are hostile to the idea of some sort of a refund period or delayed charge period unless they are the purveyor of crapps. This would benefit Apple by giving people more confidence to buy apps and also help to separate the "wheat" apps from the chaff.
The biggest problem for the App store now is that there is way too much clutter.

With Apple having "call back" capability it would be easy for Apple to initiate a system where a consumer could download an app to try out for a specific period, say 15 minutes, in which time the consumer can cancel the purchase w/o being charged. The app is then de-authorized. After the 15 minutes the charge is completed. A try-out would be limited to one time per app per Apple ID.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I support this notion. I hope other countries follow. No refund is scandalous. I think each app should have a 1 day refund period.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Its takes complaints from a government to get apple to be consumer conscious?

A refund policy that is clear and easy to use has always been warranted.

I'd like to see a no questions asked 3 hour refund policy, and a by request longer refund policy as some apps don't reveal problems till you use the extensively.

After 3 days…no refunds.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
What about the $20 to $30 apps?

Not sure why people are bitching about a country trying to protect consumers. If you don't live there, ignore it. It won't affect you in any way.

I mean really? Are people really sweating .99 purchases this much these days?

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Stupid idea. Apps are dirt cheap. If I spend $0.99 or $1.99 on an App and don't like it, then I've lost nothing.

I have made more expensive purchases (over $25) that I didn't like and a quick support ticket later I was refunded. So it's already possible to get refunds. Making it so that all Apps (including the $0.99 ones) can be refunded is just a huge waste in processing (for example, charging your CC and then refunding $0.99 later on).

If they do this it should only Apply to Apps over a certain price, just like many retail stores request a minimum purchase if you use a credit or debit card.

This is a great solution.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008

Stupid idea? Ok Mr. Moneybags, but for me, sounds like a great idea.

This is one of those things where I would think NO consumer could be against it. But I guess I'm wrong. If I spend $0.99 and the app sucks, I lose nothing. If I do that 100x, I lose SOMETHING. I've been burned many times, for apps that are $5 and higher.

So unless you are Apple or a developer, there is ZERO reason to be against a refund policy. It doesn't have to be open-ended, there should be a time limit. Whether that limit is 3 hours, 8 hours or 24 hours.

So back to your "stupid idea" comment. How for the consumer? If you buy an app based on description and screen shots and reviews, and you find it doesn't do as you expected for the money you paid, you feel a person doesn't have a right to a refund (knowing they won't be able to use the app any longer)? Apple can use their kill switch once you get refunded and done.

Again, stupid idea for Apple and developers, brilliant idea for consumers. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's stupid. Please give us some examples how this would hurt the consumer.

PS - And remember, you are the HalfBee, I'm the Furi0usBee. Know your place :)

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
I can see what you mean. Don't protect the customers, protect multi-billion Dollar companies. :rolleyes:

Most apps are not made by multi-billion dollar companies, especially not ones that cost money directly through the App Store. If anything, they charge off-site like Office 365 does to dodge Apple's revenue collection.

----------

Again, stupid idea for Apple and developers, brilliant idea for consumers. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's stupid. Please give us some examples how this would hurt the consumer.

We're not all consumers here. I don't make any apps that cost money (only free ones), but if I did, I'd be furious. And, as I said before, this could hurt consumers too. Fewer developers would be willing to make good paid apps without ads. They'd make them all free with tons of ads or "free" with abusive in-app purchases just so the consumers can't rip them off by buying then returning their apps. Developers go by the dollar vote.

It's "good for consumers" in the same way app piracy is. That is, it's not good in the long run.

Last edited:

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
....And who runs your country? Still under the illusion that it's 'for the people, by the people'?!

It has some corruption of course, but it's not bad. Probably better than South Korea. At least we have freedom of speech and aren't ruled by the UK :p

Last edited:

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
My Apple and Google have this policy due to South Koreas international policy with the U.S. Bad trade deals and guarding the DMZ that they have never paid us a cent for on more than half a century.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
I'm all for a clear refund policy (and I'm a developer). People can already get their money back, but most don't know. And I believe if they know, they'll buy more expensive quality apps with confidence and everybody benefits.

However, 7 days is way to long. That's enough to play through most games. Even 24h is too long.

Why not give the developer the option of allowing refunds? I understand why some would want to. Some currently kinda solve that problem by making "lite" versions of their paid apps to allow customers to try their products at no risk. Other developers would not want refunds to be allowed because, depending on the type of app, the system could be easily abused.

----------

Apple and Google should simply get together and collectively pull out of South Korea.
With no mobile app stores their policies on refunds will loosen up very quickly.

It wouldn't be easy for Google because of Samsung.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007

Hear! Hear!

This is one of the most sensible posts here....

The Google Play Store has a 15 minute refund window now, which is often too short (and sometimes I delete apps just because I am not sure I want them, yet I wonder if they may be useful, but don't want to be stuck with them once the 15 min window has passed).

There is no reason why we should be stuck with apps which do not perform as promised. I have a whole bunch of those on my iOS account :( Some are cheap, but some are not, plus there is a simple principle at stake here.

Apple should have done this a long time ago.

And if Apple really keeps the 30% cut when an app is refunded, then Apple is evil and you should quit developing for iOS. If developers start leaving, Apple will change their policy in a flash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.