Korean HTML replacing my iTunes music?!?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Analog Kid, Feb 14, 2007.

  1. Analog Kid macrumors 68040

    Analog Kid

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2003
    #1
    Ok, now this is just weird... I was looking for tracks on my iPod that I knew I had and couldn't find. Got home, found them in iTunes and tried to play them but iTunes quietly refused.

    Went to the library on disk and found that the songs had been changed to an html extension. Opened a few of them up in Safari and they're Korean language help files for iLife apps... A co-worker translated them for me.

    Same song name, same creation date (Nov 2005), different extension, Korean contents. No sign of the music any longer.

    Huh?

    I just did a search through my library, and it looks like there's 126 of them right now. I'm going to keep track to see if it's spreading.

    iTunes complains when I sync my iPod that it's not transferring files because iPod can't play them. When I first saw this error, I looked into the library and found a bunch of .NIB files that I deleted and just figured I hadn't gotten them all. I don't know where those came from either, but I figured I'd just dragged something to the wrong place accidently or something-- now I'm not so sure.

    Seems so deliberate though if it's keeping the song names-- it's not like it added files, it changed them.

    Anybody have any idea what could have caused this? Fixing this will be a pain, but I'm more worried about my photo libraries...
     
  2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2002
    Location:
    Gone but not forgotten.
    #2
    Have you been running a defragmentation application?
     
  3. Analog Kid thread starter macrumors 68040

    Analog Kid

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2003
    #3
    Nope.

    I haven't completely ruled out file system corruption here but it seems unlikely because the file names match the song names, but the extensions have changed. If I was finding the wrong file in the wrong place, or if the file name was unchanged but the content was bad, then I'd think it was a corruption problem.

    It just seems too organized to be corrupt-- it almost looks like it was scripted...
     
  4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2002
    Location:
    Gone but not forgotten.
    #4
    The only other idea I have is something pirated (software or music or graphic) or even inexpensive or free software written by an untrustworthy developer.
     
  5. Analog Kid thread starter macrumors 68040

    Analog Kid

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2003
    #5
    Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of-- I don't know where something like that is hiding... Other option is that it's a well intentioned script somewhere that lost its mind. Don't know where to look for that either...

    I haven't heard about anything like this hitting anyone else though-- this thread hasn't hit any nerves, for example. If it was malware, I'd expect them to do better than iLife help pages.

    I keep hoping someone will jump in and link to another example of this.
     
  6. Phillip K macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2007
    Location:
    Las Vegas Nevada
    #6
    Well I thought I was the only one this had happened to!

    I am a musician who finally built my own studio around my G5
    running Logic Pro. When I was learning the software I recorded
    some cover tunes to practice with. I recorded this one song by a band
    and one day I was listening to it on my iPod and look at the screen
    and was shocked to see oriental writing. When I got home I checked
    iTunes and sure enough it was like that there also. I to this day
    dont know how it happened and it is the only song that it has
    happened to. I thought it was kind of funny. It even changed my
    name to "Aiko" which were the only english characters.
    Since it was the only song to do this I did not think it was serious.
    I have since run virus scans on my system with nothing detected
    and have Little Snitch installed to let me know if any program is
    trying to access the internet (which I can approve or deny). So
    that my strange story. I chalked it up to the increasingly complexity
    of these machines and the massive of amounts on different software that interact with them.

    [​IMG]
     

Share This Page