Kosher Coke

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Jasonbot, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Anyone seen this around? It appears that Coca-Cola is now officially pork-free until after that whole fasting thing;) Can't wait till it's over, can't stand it :p

2. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Kosher coke is Kosher for passover. During passover there are additional dietary restrictions that high fructose corn syrup runs afoul of so they use sugar instead of the corn syrup.

3. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I have heard that Kosher Coke exists (the difference is that they use sucrose instead of high fructose corn syrup), but the only place I've ever heard people get it is in Atlanta.

I'm from Birmingham, AL, and I had a Jewish friend who would make trips to Atlanta and bring back cases of kosher Coke for a high school teacher who specifically requested it.

I hear it's good...I'd like to try some :)

Edit: Ah, Mongo beat me to the details :D

4. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Any metropolitan area actually. I grew up outside of DC and we had it there. My mom would stock up because she preferred the taste.

There are actually places that use sugar year round. It depends on what's cheapest locally.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is there kosher diet coke? :eek: Mmmm... Diet Coke. :)

6. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I'm not 100% certain about this, but since Diet Coke doesn't use HFCS as its sweetener, I think it's already kosher...

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm 100% not Jewish, so it's academic, but it is interesting... so it's specifically something relatively unusual about the way HFCS is made that prevents those kinds of drinks from being Kosher?

EDIT: Ahh, so apparently, it is specifically the fact that corn is involved?

8. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

9. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

Shame, meat coke, mmmmmm!

Apparently they make coke this way all year round in Mexico. However, my source is tenuous - I read it in Dave Gorman's Googlewhack adventure and it just stuck in my head.

10. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

According to this article, there are a few things that make regular Coke non-kosher:

11. Pyrus macrumors member

Both Kosher Coke and Diet Coke exist. I work in a supermarket in the UK and we have a whole section for Kosher and Passover.