KOTOR 2 Shock - read before you think about buying

Discussion in 'Games' started by imac_japan, Mar 7, 2005.

1. imac_japan macrumors member

imac_japan

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

it sucks when things like this are found out about games too late, im glad that id took the time that they did with Doom 3 and never rushed it.... but time constraints shouldn't be a factor when developing software, it should be up to par when its put out, if not above....

3. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Meh, I started the orginal Kotor for my Xbox and I just stopped. It didn't do much for me. But I can see how that is annoying.

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Games should never be rushed, but unfortunately that's the way business goes, and the almighty $$$ has the final say!

I felt the same way with Final Fantasy VII when I found out the only completed half of what they wanted to in the game, and learned of some of the material they left out - so much more potential, never to be seen and played... it could have made one of the greatest games ever made even greater... :(

5. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

I'd rather wait for a good game then waste $50 on a crappy game.

6. damgpro macrumors member

I loved KOTOR2, much more than the first. I too just ended up not playing the first one anymore after only a little while of playing.

I was totally into KOTOR, but I must admit when it came to the end of the game, it was a bit lacking, I was expecting much more after I had loved the rest.

7. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

KOTOR 1 was awesome. KOTOR 2,.... I had serious trouble getting into it. It did not flow well. Its buggy and clunky. I wished they spent at least 6 more months on it, but they needed it as a Christmas release.

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yah, it's really too bad when they do that. It's too bad when it comes down to the money, but sadly, that's they way things are... I wish more companies were concerned with the quality of their product rather than how much $$$ they can make by rushing it and getting it out for a key marketing season. Ah well, business is business... :rolleyes:

9. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

Thanks for the link... it's not good news when the hardcore SW fans are unhappy. I haven't kept up, what is the latest with the Mac version?

10. servognome macrumors newbie

I played the first one and loved it, playing the second one I loved it even more... until I neared the end. Then the conversations, levels, and missions all become shorter, less interesting, and feel like they are basically pushing you straight to the finish line. It was awesome for 38 out of 40 hours.
    Lucasarts annoys me so much, they did the same thing with SWG, rushing the developer and coming out with an incomplete mess.

11. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Guys are you sure Aspyr will be making KOTOR 2 for Mac? :rolleyes:

I wish they would :)

And I also wish that by the time KOTOR2 for Mac come out I would have a new Mac :D

12. anotherjeff macrumors regular

anotherjeff

Maybe there will be an update via a patch or xbox live?
    With the Xbox version of the first KOTOR they added extra content via live. I think this was made a part of the game when it was shipped for PC and Mac.

13. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Had KOTOR on xBox, playable but never felt like a Star Wars game, the stupid aspect of dueling with a lightsaber and a sword??? was, well stupid.

Also didn't want to be forced to learn to be a Jedi, a true role playing game gives you the option of being whoever you want to be.

Traded it in for a copy of Halo 2 for my GF brothers.

14. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

I bought KOTOR1 for my PC and played it for a few hours. The graphics were awesome and I love the Star Wars genre but the whole RPG thing doesn't appeal to me at all. I didn't really care for the gameplay. It was also kind of hard.

I had Star Wars Battlegrounds and that games rocked. I can't play my games anymore becuase I sold my video card and turned my PC into a server. Oh well. Come on XBox 2!!!!

15. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Played KotOR for both Xbox and PC and loved it. Not without its flaws, but nothing I was too bothered with.

Played KotOR II for Xbox and... it was good, but had some weird bugs. The last part of the game felt rushed and uninspired, and the ending itself pretty much sucked, IMO.

Even though they've said otherwise, it really feels like they rushed it out for a US Xmas release....

Also, one of the guys from Obsidian (I think it was Chris Avellone) mentioned that they had contacted LucasArts about the possibility of a content patch, but they didn't respond (a bugfix patch is on the way for the PC, though).

16. Symtex macrumors 6502a

KOTOR 1 = Bioware
    KOTOR II = Obsidian

This is why KOTOR II was not as good as the first one.

17. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Nope. Kotor 2 is not LIve supported. Why? Time constraints. Lucas Arts and Obsidian dropped the ball on this one. It's still a decent game, but not as good as the first.

18. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I just completed KOTOR 2 the other night as a dark side character (Sith Lord class) and found the ending not only to be a non-ending, but also far too easy. I was able to walk around the academy at the very end, and walk into a room of 20 bad guys, and defeat them all with a couple blasts of my force storm. Even Sion and Traya put up very little fight to the combined powers of my Force Storm and Force Crush. No strategy required really. Deeply saddened by it. Fortunately, I had just borrowed it from a friend and had not wasted my money on it.

19. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

Thats right! Bioware is working on Jade Empire.

20. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

That's the case MOST of the time. But wasn't Doom 3's whole thing "It will be ready when it's ready"? And Bungie canceled the earlier realese date for Halo 2 because it was too buggy. So there are SOME companys who care about the quality of their games.

21. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yes Doom3 is a good example of an exception to the rule. Too bad its benchmarks on the Mac suck so much.

As for Halo 2, maybe they should have canceled a few more release dates while they were at it to focus on improving the game - talk about the most overhyped game ever, what a disappointment. Anyone who believes that is one of the best games, or that it is even better than its predecessor have subjectively brainwashed themselves into thinking "This game is great because, well, it's Halo and it has to be!" and they just go on stubbornly believing that. But that's conversation for another MR discussion thread which as I remember already reached that conclusion... :cool:

22. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Hey now, let's not get to harsh on Halo 2 :rolleyes:
    Yes, it was a dissapointment and singleplayer hardly matched up too the orginal Halo, but it was still a good game. Besides, multiplayer is a blast.

23. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I'll give you that, multiplayer is a lot of fun. Especially if you're the one with the Axe. :cool:

24. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Don't you mean Sword?

25. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Sure, call it what you will, the end result is the same. :p