KOTOR on an iBook...

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jedi128, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

I have been trying to play the original Knights of the Old Republic on my iBook (see signature for details), but I find whenever there are more than like 5 characters on a map it laggs to death. It becomes very hard to control most of the time.

What I'm wondering is that I have 768MB of RAM, but my question is will a gig stick help (to raise to a total of 1.260GB's of RAM)?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I doubt the benefits would really be worth it, sorry. I think the biggest limiting point in your iBook is GPU-related and then maybe CPU-related. More RAM will do nothing to overcome these bottlenecks.

On the other hand, more RAM never hurts. :)

3. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

More RAM won't help any at this point. Its the slow G4 and weak GPU that is holding you back and causing the poor performance.

4. Jedi128 thread starter macrumors 6502

Uuggg!

I knew I should have got a Powerbook with 64MB of VRAM!!!! My processor is better than the required 1Ghz, but not by much. I guess I should have known that a 12" iBook wasn't going to be any great gaming machine. Well, I was thinking that the stupid Radeon 9200 wasn't doing its job......

I'll just have to wait until mid 06 when I plan on buying a 15" Intel Powerbook for college. I'll make sure to get a BTO graphics card...

5. Jedi128 thread starter macrumors 6502

I should just say that I had the graphics card in mind when buying the iBook. I called Apple to order it and asked if I could get the Nvidia card that was in the 12" Powerbooks in my iBook and the guy was like, "No, we like to try to keep the product lines separate." I was disapointed. But it was an upgrade from my iMac 400Mhz G3 with 8MB of VRAM!!!!